Can I Drive My Car In Mexico?

Old February 25th, 2006, 02:50 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america

Default Can I Drive My Car In Mexico?

As in with my MASS plates and my Massachusetts drivers lic? And if
so, how long can I get away with that?

Thanks,

JJ

Old February 25th, 2006, 05:51 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america

wrote in message
oups.com...
As in with my MASS plates and my Massachusetts drivers lic? And if
so, how long can I get away with that?

Thanks,

JJ

As long as you are allowed in Mexico. Make sure you get Mexican Insurance.
Most of the border crossings have agents that sell the insurance or go to
the http://www.vagabundosdelmar.com/ they have discounted MX insurance. Mx
is under Napoleonic law. You are guilty until proven innocent. Same in car
accidents.

Old February 25th, 2006, 06:56 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america

Ok, so my lic and MA plates should fly? And their insurance, any
idea as to a approx cost? And is this a real official thing? Or is it
someone at a roadside taco stand selling insurance in addition to food?
LOL. I know, I will have to find out. I don't believe I need a VISA
as I have been to Tijauana a million times, never for an extended
time, but never needed a VISA to cross over. Let me know, as I may be
on the wrong track there as well.

Thank you so much Bill!

JJ

Old February 25th, 2006, 02:42 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...
As in with my MASS plates and my Massachusetts drivers lic? And if
so, how long can I get away with that?

Thanks,

JJ

As long as you are allowed in Mexico. Make sure you get Mexican
Insurance. Most of the border crossings have agents that sell the
insurance or go to the http://www.vagabundosdelmar.com/ they have
discounted MX insurance. Mx is under Napoleonic law. You are guilty
until proven innocent. Same in car accidents.

http://www.drivemex.com/Your_Legal_Rights.htm

Perhaps no area of Mexican law has undergone more change in the last decade
than Mexican criminal procedure. Contrary to the generally held belief, one
is not considered guilty until proven innocent. In 1983, Article 9 of the
Mexican Constitution was amended to delete a former provision that seemed to
contradict the presumption of innocence. Today the presumption of innocence
is found in various Articles of the constitution which taken together,
constitute a presumption of innocence.

There's more good information on the legal rights page and beginning
on their home page. Some other sites I suggest a
http://www.rversonline.org/ArtMexDrive.html
http://www.mexadventure.com/Mexico-Vehicle-Permit.cfm

I've driven many thousands of miles in Mexico without significant
problems, often in very conspicuous RVs. With insurance and your temporary
import permit it's no big deal. When I get my Tourist Card I tell them I'm
going to be in Mexico for 6 months so they write up the Tourist Card and the
Temporary Import Permit for the maximum amount of time. It's all the same
price no matter how long you're going to need them. When leaving Mexico, if
you aren't going to be back within the expiration date of your Temporary
Import Permit, be sure to return it at a port of entry on your way out.

TB

Old February 25th, 2006, 03:53 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america

"Technobarbarian" wrote in

http://www.drivemex.com/Your_Legal_Rights.htm

Good point, but hte part that gets uninsured motorists is the part from
your referenced page that reads as follows: (Note that a significant
amount of money may be required to post that bail, insurnace coveres it
and you do not go to jail)

If you are arrested as a result of an accident, you have the right to

release on bail. The amount of the bail will be fixed as the amount
necessary to pay for any fines, and damage done to the other party.
Article 31 of the Penal Code provides that in cases dealing with
negligence or imprudence, a valid Mexican insurance policy will provide
a basis for guaranteeing the bail so that the driver may be released.
Even if there is insurance, the driver may not be released if he/she was
driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol or in an extremely
reckless fashion. If bail is paid, it is paid to a court official. In
no cases are police officers in Mexico allowed to accept cash, for
whatever reason.

Detention of the Vehicle

If no agreement is reached, or there are injuries, your vehicle may be

detained as long as needed to investigate the accident and to guarantee
the amount of damage done to the other vehicle even if you feel that the
accident is not your fault. If your vehicle is detained, you may be
required to post a bond in order to obtain its release. If your vehicle
is detained, you may be required to post a bond in order to obtain its
release. If you obtained Mexican insurance it will serve as the
guarantee needed. If not, you may have to purchase a separate bond.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old February 25th, 2006, 09:44 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america

"Joseph Coulter" wrote in message
. 97.136...
"Technobarbarian" wrote in

http://www.drivemex.com/Your_Legal_Rights.htm

Good point, but hte part that gets uninsured motorists is the part from
your referenced page that reads as follows: (Note that a significant
amount of money may be required to post that bail, insurnace coveres it
and you do not go to jail)

Those who drive around Mexico without insurance deserve whatever
Darwinian award they get. One of the amazing facts about driving in Mexico
is that it's estimated that 75% of the vehicles entering Mexico from the
United States do so without Mexican insurance. I'm sure it's a small
consolation for those being held until the matter is resolved, but the lack
of insurance does not make them automatically at fault. Personally I'm not
all that fond of beans and rice, so I don't drive into Mexico without
insurance.

I have been involved in a small fender bender in Mexico in which I was
at fault, so I have seen some of the process up close and personal. We were
required to drive our vehicle to the impound yard until the matter was
resovled even though we did have insurance. I was in no mood for leaving the
motorhome and everything we owned in the impound yard so I paid cash for the
damage to expidite matters. It cost us around $200 for something that would
have easily cost four or five times that amount in the States and I got out
of there in about 30 minutes. If I hadn't short circuited the process we
would have been out of there as soon as the insurance company confirmed that
we were covered. On vacation and headed to a dental appointment I wasn't
interested in finding out how long that would take.

TB

Old February 26th, 2006, 07:04 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america

Good information,

Thank you to all who have replied to my post. I have to do a little
more thinking about how to proceed before I step into that area.

Also, what about the VISA? Like I said, I have not been to Mexico
since I was a teenager, about 15 years or so, but remember entering
through Tijuana maybe a dozen times or more, in a car and walking over
the bridge with no VISA. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

BR$JJ

Old February 26th, 2006, 07:46 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america

wrote in message
oups.com...
As in with my MASS plates and my Massachusetts drivers lic? And if
so, how long can I get away with that?

Thanks,

JJ

Buy long term (one year) insurance before you cross the border. Based on the
value you place on your vehicle, e.g. my $4000. F-150 pickup with shell cost
about $250/yr. At the pro rated short term price I could have gotten about
30 days worth of the same coverage....

When you get to the border you'll buy a small bond that guarantees the
temporary "import " of your vehicle. Guarantees, that is, that the vehicle
WILL leave the country. With the new toll roads in Mexico, travel is now
much safer than it used to be, and even travel at night isn't the absolute
no-no that it used to be. BTW, EVERY vehicle traveling on the toll roads is
automatically insured when they pay the toll. Therefore, an accident on the
toll road is not likely to send you to jail, again, if you aren't under the
influence or flagrantly violating the law. Driving style is easy to adapt
to. Mexican drivers often warn each other about hazards up the road, you
just have to get to know the signals. The biggest rule being , " Don't hit
anything!". Otherwise, driving in Mexico becomes quite ordinary after a
couple of days....... Mexicans, when involved in a relatively minor
accident, will often get out, examine the damage to the vehicles, and leave
as quickly as possible, before the police get involved......