Getting from S. America to New Zealand

Old May 7th, 2006, 03:08 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.budget.backpack,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.misc

Default Getting from S. America to New Zealand

I'm currently trying to plan my trip around the world, leaving at the end of
August this year.
I think I'm going to do the open ended, pay as you go type of plan to give
me the flexibility and let me stick around in each place for as long as I
want to (I'm planning on being a way for over a year).

What's the best \ cheapest way of getting from Santiago (or somewhere else
on the west coast of S.America) to NZ.
I've been trying to find flights to Auckland via Fiji, but don't seem to get
anywhere, and a flight to Papeete and onwards would cost a fortune. For a
direct flight I've found LAN charging around £900. This seems extortionate,
since a RTW package costs the same as this.
I've also looked into crewing, and sailing across. I'm open to suggestions!

Can anyone help me out with flight \ crewing information and prices?

www.tribewanted.com
Check out - Brilliant

Thanks!

Old May 7th, 2006, 03:15 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.budget.backpack,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.misc

On Sun, 07 May 2006 14:08:33 +0000, Andy Padgett wrote:

I'm currently trying to plan my trip around the world, leaving at the
end of August this year.
I think I'm going to do the open ended, pay as you go type of plan to
give me the flexibility and let me stick around in each place for as
long as I want to (I'm planning on being a way for over a year).

What's the best \ cheapest way of getting from Santiago (or somewhere
else on the west coast of S.America) to NZ. I've been trying to find
flights to Auckland via Fiji, but don't seem to get anywhere, and a
flight to Papeete and onwards would cost a fortune. For a direct flight
I've found LAN charging around £900. This seems extortionate, since a
RTW package costs the same as this. I've also looked into crewing, and
sailing across. I'm open to suggestions!

Tried the Argentinian airline? The cost of flying these routes reflects
the competition ie there isn't much.
Old May 7th, 2006, 04:59 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.budget.backpack,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.misc

"Andy Padgett" wrote in message

What's the best \ cheapest way of getting from Santiago (or somewhere else
on the west coast of S.America) to NZ.

Simply put, there isn't one, my friend.

Gerry

Old May 7th, 2006, 05:11 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.budget.backpack,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.misc

Andy Padgett wrote:
I'm

What's the best \ cheapest way of getting from Santiago (or somewhere else
on the west coast of S.America) to NZ.
I've been trying to find flights to Auckland via Fiji, but don't seem to get
anywhere, and a flight to Papeete and onwards would cost a fortune. For a
direct flight I've found LAN charging around £900. This seems extortionate,
since a RTW package costs the same as this.
I've also looked into crewing, and sailing across. I'm open to suggestions!

No competition. You would probably do better moneywise by flying to
LAX and then going to NZ or Australia from there.

You are not going to find a lot of good fares going around the Southern
Hemisphere. South America to NZ is bad. Australia to India or South
Africa is bad. South Africa to South America is bad.

Old May 7th, 2006, 07:30 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.budget.backpack,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.misc

On Sun, 07 May 2006 14:08:33 GMT, "Andy Padgett"
wrote:

[...]

Since Qantas has a codeshare with LAN, have you checked with Qantas
about fares? I would suggest that your fare problem is your open ended
plan. Perhaps if you were to set a firm date for your flight from
Santiago to Auckland, you would probably be able to get a better
price.

Good luck

Charles
nzvideos.org
Old May 7th, 2006, 08:14 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.budget.backpack,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.misc

In article , Gerald Oliver Swift
writes

"Andy Padgett" wrote in message

What's the best \ cheapest way of getting from Santiago (or somewhere else
on the west coast of S.America) to NZ.

Simply put, there isn't one, my friend.

LAN Chile has a flight. I tried to use it last year but it was sold out
(in Augus fort travelling in January). As it is the only flight over the
South Pacific it 's very popular.

See the routes in

http://www.lan.com/info_viajes/mapa_de_rutas/index.html

--
JohnM
Author of Brazil: Life, Blood, Soul &
Old May 7th, 2006, 09:08 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.budget.backpack,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.misc

On Sun, 7 May 2006, JohnM wrote:

LAN Chile has a flight. I tried to use it last year but it was sold out
(in Augus fort travelling in January). As it is the only flight over the
South Pacific it 's very popular.

As others have said, LAN are not the only option. Both Aerolineas
Argentinas and Qantas fly from Buenos Aires to Sydney. This is almost
certainly the cheapest way to go. I.e. your itinerary would be
SCL-EZE-SYD-AKL. I've gone that route (albeit in the other direction.)

The attraction of the LAN route is that it offers one of the few
practicable ways to visit Easter Island. However, at least as of a few
years ago, their island-hopping flight across the Pacific no longer went
as far as Australasia, but stopped at Papeete, from where you'd have to
seek other flights to Auckland.

And the Aerolineas flight used to refuel in Puerto Gallegos, which would
have given you a brief moment (all that's needed probably!) to see the far
south of Patagonia. But I understand that they don't do this any more.

(I also heard that they used to refuel in Antarctica, but I don't quite
believe it. Anyhow, this route is sometimes called the "transpolar"
because you can get quite close to the Southern Ice, though in fact
without ever crossing the pole.)

Take care

Jon

--
Jon Beasley-Murray Latin American Studies
http://www.fhis.ubc.ca/index.php?id=2856 University of British Columbia

Old May 7th, 2006, 10:55 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.budget.backpack,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.misc

In article , JBM
writes
On Sun, 7 May 2006, JohnM wrote:

LAN Chile has a flight. I tried to use it last year but it was sold out
(in Augus fort travelling in January). As it is the only flight over the
South Pacific it 's very popular.

As others have said, LAN are not the only option.

It is from "the west coast of S.America to NZ" which is the question we
are answering no?

Both Aerolineas
Argentinas and Qantas fly from Buenos Aires to Sydney. This is almost
certainly the cheapest way to go. I.e. your itinerary wo

Well, I can fly from LAX, too, but I will not then be in the west coast
of South America, will I?

Old May 13th, 2006, 07:41 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.budget.backpack,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.misc

itchyfeet.co.nz have low fares via Tahiti

Old May 21st, 2006, 04:32 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.budget.backpack,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.misc

Andy Padgett wrote:
[...]

I flew LAN Chile, Santiago-Easter Island-Tahiti-Auckland
about 5 hours each segment, US1500.
Had stopovers in both for a couple of days and the hotel in Tahiti was
part of the deal.
It was cheaper to buy a return than one-way.