Trip report: GRQ-STN/LHR-MUC-NRT v.v.

Old December 10th, 2003, 05:03 PM

Default Trip report: GRQ-STN/LHR-MUC-NRT v.v.

Hi,

First trip report; after reading (and enjoying) many trip reports I
decided to write one myself. This was a three-week vacation from the
Netherlands to Japan, flying from London instead of Amsterdam because it
was much cheaper (we paid EUR 566 return incl. taxes on Lufthansa,
compared to about EUR 900 for the cheapest flights from Amsterdam). We
bought the tickets about two months in advance using
http://www.ebookers.com/uk.

To London we used cheap Ryan Air flights from Groningen (the friend I
travelled with left from Eindhoven) in the Netherlands; this ticket cost
EUR 51 return incl. taxes, bought through their website.

1) Wednesday 2003-11-05: GRQ-STN on FR8285, schedule 13:05-13:10

Arrived at Eelde airport early using public transport. Checkin was
quick, passport control as well. British Aerospace 146 plane with
yellow Buzz colours on the outside; no reserved seats so people rush to
the plane. Liftoff around 13:10, landing 13:00 (local time) at Stansted
airport, uneventful flight which was about 2/3 full. The train to
central London, Liverpool Street station, cost GBP 23 return; Ryan Air
was selling these train tickets on board for GBP 21 but I didn't carry
enough cash to buy one.

This flight was rescheduled; the times were 19:05-19:10 when we made the
booking. The website said they would e-mail me with these changes, but
they only did so after I telephoned them to reconfirm the flight.

2) Saturday 2003-11-08: LHR-MUC on LH4753, schedule 12:10-15:00

After a couple of days in London, we took the Piccadilly underground
line to Heathrow airport which took about one hour. Our e-ticket was
actually in the computer, and so was the Miles&More frequent flyer
number I had received through Lufthansa's website. Checkin and passport
control were quick. Boarding from about 12:00; we have seats 23E/F on
the last row of the Boeing 737-300. The flight is about half full. We
leave the gate about 15 minutes late; the pilot informs us this is
because the plane was late on the trip to LHR, and that there are about
8 planes in front of us before we can take off. OK snack, cold meal.
Landing in Munich after a bumpy flight, about 15:15 at the gate. There
is Lufthansa personnel at the gate with signs directing passengers to
the Tokyo flight.

3) Saturday 2003-11-08: MUC-NRT on LH714, schedule 15:40-11:20*

Less than 5 minutes at Munich airport, and we're inside the next plane,
an Airbus 340-300. We have seats 20A/C, on the very first row of
economy class so lots of leg room. Left the gate about 15:40, long taxi
and liftoff. The food is OK, two hot meals (dinner/breakfast). I tried
to get some sleep but wasn't very successful. Smooth flight over
northern Siberia, no empty seats in economy. After 11.5 hours we land
at Narita aiport, 11:20 local time; long taxi to terminal 2. There are
signs with "quarantine" and "health control" everywhere, and my eyes
have been red for a few days (some kind of infection?) but the
immigration officer doesn't notice or doesn't care. Our backpacks have
arrived with us, so they made the short connection in Munich.

4) Saturday 2003-11-29: NRT-MUC on LH715, schedule 13:00-17:25

Train from Shinjuku station in Tokyo to Narita airport terminal 2; we're
in the queue at checkin around 11:15. An announcement informs us that
checkin for LH715 will be halted because of a computer problem, but the
queue keeps moving (slowly) and our e-tickets can be found. Through the
various checks (carryon luggage, metal detector, passport) without
problems. 12:30 we can enter the plane, Airbus 343-300 again; we have
seats 23A/C but the plane is less than half full so we can both get two
seats. Some passengers can even get the 4 centre seats to sleep on.
After taxiing we have to wait for other planes to take off and land; we
take off at 13:40. Two hot meals again, and quite a few beers on this
12.5-hour flight. Exactly 17:25 in the terminal building.

5) Saturday 2003-11-29: MUC-LHR on LH4764, schedule 19:15-20:25

Into the Airbus 320-200 plane around 18:50; the plane is about half
full. Left on time, taxi and liftoff. We get the same snack as on
LHR-MUC three weeks ago. The first half of the flight is bumpy but
after that it's smooth. Perfect views over cental London as we approach
Heathrow from the east. Landing around 20:10, long taxi again. Quick
passport control (easy for people from the EU), and underground back to
central London after a very long day.

6) Sunday 2003-11-30: STN-GRQ on FR8284, schedule 9:20-11:25

This flight had been rescheduled as well, original times were
16:35-18:40. Bus instead of train at 6:30 from Liverpool Street station
because of maintenance work. Checked in my backpack around 7:30. Quick
passport check. Into the plane from around 9:00; this time passengers
with boarding numbers 1-65 can enter the plane first, I have number 61.
The plane is about 3/4 full, Boeing 737-300 this time, again with Buzz
colours. Left the gate 9:20; smooth and uneventful flight. After
landing they open the door at the back of the plane so I can get off
quickly. Passport check is also quick, but then I waited for my
luggage... which wasn't there. After all other passengers have left the
ground personnel checks with the plane again but no sign of my backpack.
Filled in a form and hoped it would turn up soon, which it did after 2
days, delivered to my home.

Alard de Boer
Groningen, the Netherlands.
Old December 11th, 2003, 05:04 AM
Jesper Lauridsen

On 10 Dec 2003 17:03:27 +0100, wrote:

The train to
central London, Liverpool Street station, cost GBP 23 return; Ryan Air
was selling these train tickets on board for GBP 21 but I didn't carry
enough cash to buy one.

They take credit cards.