Barcelona drive - Extra four days - Recommendations?

Old November 19th, 2003, 03:39 AM
Dave J.

Default Barcelona drive - Extra four days - Recommendations?

Hi -- I'll be in Barcelona on New Year's and for a few days in
January. Three questions, help is very much appreciated.

1) Any ideas of what to do on New Year's Eve 2003? I guess we'll just
walk the Ramblas, etc.

2) I'll be renting a car and leaving Barcelona for about four days.
Have to get back to the airport there, so can't go more than a 4-5
hour drive. Any suggestions of interesting towns, villages, moderate
hotels for my several days? I can go to France or stay in Spain, ideas
most welcome! We are avid travelers, and most enjoy interesting
towns/cities and just walking/eating/wine,etc.

3) Any suggestions for a place to stay outside of Barcelona for the
last night, where I need to get into the airport to return my car and
get on a 10AM flight home? I hope that there is a small town wtihin a
90 minute drive of the airport.

Thanks!

Dave
Old November 19th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Reid

Following up to Dave J.

2) I'll be renting a car and leaving Barcelona for about four days.
Have to get back to the airport there, so can't go more than a 4-5
hour drive. Any suggestions of interesting towns, villages, moderate
hotels for my several days? I can go to France or stay in Spain, ideas
most welcome! We are avid travelers, and most enjoy interesting
towns/cities and just walking/eating/wine,etc.

you could go up towards the spanish side of the Pyrennnees.
Or Tortosa/Alcaniz and the Ebro delta to the south.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old November 29th, 2003, 06:34 PM
Bill Piety

Depending on your interests, Sitges is only a 30 minute train ride
(similar via car) from Barcelona, right on the coast, with many bars and
restaurants and wide range of accommodations. Christmas/New Year's Eve are
very festive.

Old November 30th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Michael

Tossa del Mar is very nice.
Old December 1st, 2003, 10:04 AM
Reid

Following up to Michael

Tossa del Mar is very nice.

It wasn't when I went there, 30 odd years ago. The residents
might be Tossans but many of the guests were *******.
--
Walking-food-photos, Wasdale, Thames, London etc "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
and for Spain at "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" -- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap
Old December 3rd, 2003, 08:30 PM
Keith M

Hi Dave,

We loved our time in Barcelona. Las Ramblas is great to stroll along,
look at the wares the street vendors and shops are selling etc. I
seem to remember the motorcycles taking over the place, bikes
everywhere! We had some great paella in a little restaurant in
walking distance from our hotel. Very hip and modern city, quite
different than London, Rome, and Madrid.

In our tour of Spain, we left Barcelona and spent time in Tarragona, a
city about 60 miles South. Easy to get to, pretty close by. It's an
old Roman city on the Med. Sea. It's literally right on the water,
beautiful setting. Although I'm sure there are "attractions", our
main attraction to the town was the town itself. Quaint cafes line
some streets. Old Roman forts and ruins abound. Pretty cool.

We especially enjoyed a restaurant that served super thin-crusted
pizzas that were probably 10-inches in diameter. It's funny because
the menu at this restaurant was filled with all different types of
food, but in a quick survey, the pizza seemed to be the food du jour.
Great pizza!! Much better than what I had in Florence, sheeesh.

Have fun.

Keith M
Pittsburgh

Old December 4th, 2003, 07:54 PM
Jon

1)...what to do on New Year's Eve 2003? I guess we'll just walk the Ramblas,

Don't know about Barcelona, but I imagine they have "macrofiestas"
just like in Madrid, public events for which one buys a ticket and
gets to celebrate New Year's Eve with a bunch of people one doesn't
know.

2) I'll be renting a car and leaving Barcelona for about four days.
Have to get back to the airport there, so can't go more than a 4-5
hour drive. Any suggestions of interesting towns, villages, moderate
hotels for my several days?

You could drive to the Pyrenees (Aigues Tortes National Park), you
could hang out in the coastal town like Cadaqués, you could visit the
Museu Dalí en Figueres, you would visit some neat Romanesque towns
like Besalú, you could stay in Olot and walk the volcanic areas (one
cone has a church inside of it). There's lots to do in Catalunya. The
only thing that might be difficult would be to see the ruins at
Ampuries as it might be closed.
Old December 5th, 2003, 10:08 PM
José M. Malo

Magda nos contó lo siguiente:

On 4 Dec 2003 10:54:03 -0800, in rec.travel.europe,
(Jon) arranged some electrons, so they looked like this :
... You could drive to the Pyrenees (Aigues Tortes National Park),

Aigues Mortes.

No. Aigues-Mortes is a village in France. Aigues Tortes is a National
Park in Spain:

http://www.eurobirding.co.uk/aigues_...ional_park.HTM

Old December 6th, 2003, 01:25 PM
José M. Malo