Chapala, Mex area - short term visit?

Old September 28th, 2004, 01:41 AM
Ed & Sue Beresnikow

Default Chapala, Mex area - short term visit?

As a Canadian looking at a possible retirement in an area more
climatically friendly than available locally we have tried to learn as
much as possible about the Ajijic/Chapala region through the net. We
have convinced ourselves this is definitely an interest area but need to
learn more with some first hand experiences. We have done winter breaks
in Puerto Vallarta for the last 10+ years but have yet to venture inland.

We're looking for some guidance or experiences from anyone who may have
done an exploratory preview of the area as part of a winter vacation
getaway or other visit. We have explored the numerous and growing
number of regional web sites and have been able to find facilities that
offer visits usually in the month plus term. We really would like to
keep our initial visit risk to around 2 weeks in case it does not fit
our desires. Further though, is that these places are not part of any
rating system and web descriptions and pictures can be somewhat risky to
base a reservation. Our timing of interest is in the Feb-Mar period.

We are looking for information about facilities that would provide short
term visitors in a realistic fashion a place to stay as a home base with
some relaxation facilities and easy transit to visit the various
communities of the lake area. We aren't looking for 5-star by any
means, but also would like to avoid undue 'critter beating' episodes in
the evening.

We look forward to hearing anything the group might have to say as far
as short term vacationing in the Chapala region and even any other
experiences with the area.

Ed
Old September 28th, 2004, 03:56 AM
Technobarbarian

"Ed & Sue Beresnikow" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I have a phrase for you: "Cultural Eutrophism". It means the lake is
dying because of human activity.
http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/trave...gunasaved.html

Another interesting link: http://www.livinglakes.org/chapala/

"But Chapala is dying. The defective administration of the water resource
combined with the economic activity and population along its river basin has
caused a profound crisis, which is expressed in the dramatic diminution of
the lake's volume. Before the rainy season of 2002, the lake was found to be
at less than 15% of its capacity.

11 major dams upstream of the Lerma River were constructed in order to
divert water for industry, drinking water and irrigation. 25% of the
drinking water goes to Mexico City and 70% to Guadalajara. In the 1970s Lake
Chapala had a volume of 8.1 billion m3, 3.3 billion m3 is considered to be
critical, the current volume is 1.3 billion m3. 81% of the catchment area is
used for agriculture and the portion of irrigated areas quintupled in the
last 50 years. The water running into Lake Chapala through the river is
highly polluted with heavy metals and other toxic substances as a result of
insufficient waste water treatment. In the last 5 years Lake Chapala lost
35,000 ha shoreline, presently the lake has only 21% of its actual volume.
The lake depth was 4.5 m in former times, today it is below 1 m. This region
is one of the most eroded areas of the country.

Also, the contamination of the water that supplies the lake has reached
alarming levels, to the degree of causing toxicological mutations in some of
the fish species that until now have survived in the vast lake. Among the
problems are the high levels of phosphorus (80 times higher than is
permitted by the international standards), infestation of algae, presence of
heavy metals (cyanide chromium, leads and mercury) and infestation of
aquatic weeds (eutrophication). There is also a great concentration of
organic residues from industrial waste products of the leather industry and
the drainage of the cities bathed by the basin."

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/New...3?img_id=16298

For a more Chamber of Commerce point of view:
http://www.peoplesguide.com/1pages/b...palaindex.html

I've visited the area. It's primary draws a a nice climate, lots of
gringos live there, the lake and nearby Guadalajara. Most of the estimates
of the number of foreigners living there that I've seen are very inflated.
If nothing else they include a lot of people who only live there part time.
Personally I'd get pretty bored if I tried to spend two weeks there, let
alone live there. Both www.mexconnect.com and www.peoplesguide.com will have
lots of information on the area.

If you're looking for areas with lots of gringos you should also
consider San Miguel Allende and the Mayan Riviera, the area between Cancun
and Tulum. You'll find lots of Canadians in both those areas.

Dennis

Old September 28th, 2004, 02:09 PM

and the Mayan Riviera, the area between Cancun
and Tulum. You'll find lots of Canadians in both those areas.

Interesting

Wonder why so many Canadians there?

You mean they are there as residents?
Old September 28th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Dan

I would agree with the technobarbarian that one could get pretty bored
in Chapala in a short period of time and the lake has definite
problems. But you should check it out as one of the places gringos
tend to congregate. But you must also look at Guadalajara which has a
large expatriot community and English newspaper. If you go to Chapala
you might want to stay in the village next door called Jocotepec. You
need to look at San Miguel de Allende of course which has lots of
expats living there and Cuernavaca. There are a couple of books you
can probably find in a good bookstore or Amazon on the subject of
retiring in Mexico. There are also some on Costa Rica. Each of the
expat areas is different so you should check as many as possible. Dan

Old September 28th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Technobarbarian

wrote in message
and the Mayan Riviera, the area between Cancun
and Tulum. You'll find lots of Canadians in both those areas.

Interesting

Wonder why so many Canadians there?

I think it has to do with the climate in Canada and it's less expensive
than the sunbelt in the States.

You mean they are there as residents?

There's a pretty good mix of residents, snowbirds and tourists. In that
area I often stay at Paamul, which is both an RV park with some rooms and a
relatively inexpensive place to live on the beach. Many of the RVs have
become permanent homes with large elaborate permanent add-ons. I see lots of
Canadian flags and license plates there. From what I've seen, despite the
reputation and the hype, I suspect more gringos live on the Mayan Riviera
than in Ajijic and San Miguel Allende combined. If I'm wrong at this time
the way things are going I'll be right in the near future. Puerto Morelos,
for example, used to be a quiet little Mexican town. The last time I was
there it looked to be positively over run with expat's and I was there in
the Fall before things get really busy.

TB

Old September 28th, 2004, 04:08 PM

I would agree with the technobarbarian that one could get pretty bored
in Chapala

I just don't think Id like living inland Mexico.

Much rather be along the coast.
Old September 28th, 2004, 04:34 PM

, I suspect more gringos live on the Mayan Riviera

I was just in the Mayan Riviera las July. My first
visit ever. Really liked it!!

I was in a resort near Tulum..... Bahia Principe Tulum
to be exact

Ive given SERIOUS thought to going back in Jan or Feb
coming up

Old September 28th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Richard Ferguson

If you are thinking seriously about retiring in Mexico, I have a couple
of information sources that I think are worth the money. The mexconnect
website has a forum for the Lake Chapala area, for example.

For those planning to live in Mexico, one of the best sources for
information, especially on the cost of living, is the AIM
(Adventures in Mexico) newsletter. It has a practical focus,
with each issue covering a different town or area. Look at the
back issue list. A few issues include houshold budgets by
readers and residents, to give one a better view of actual
living costs. The newsletter has a new owner/editor, and a new website.
http://www.mexico-newsletter.com/ The cost is
$24/year, and the new mailing address is AIM, POB 434,
New Boston, NH 03070

The forums on www.mexconnected.com are also a very good practical
resource on living in Mexico, and are worth the money for anyone
serious about Mexico, especially for answers to your questions.

Richard

Old September 30th, 2004, 04:11 AM
Ed & Sue Beresnikow

Thanks a huge bunch everyone. We really appreciate all these diverse
inputs and all the suggestions. We will continue to listen and dig deeper.

As was implied, the Chapala area's relatively stable and much warmer
than Canadian average temperature ranges year round are definitely a
significant part of our interest.

Our preference instead of the coastal areas is the reduced humidity
levels and (high end) temperature extremes that we saw running well
above 36(96F) and a definite want to avoid 99% of hurricanes. There are
actually several Canadian populated areas north and inland of PVR that
are very interesting excepting the weather extremes and risks.

We actually had not thought of San Miguel de Allende primarily due to a
perceived proximity to Mexico City but it is still further away than
Cuernavaca so is a worth a reconsider.

But this also might contradict our Chapala thoughts where we do group
the expanse to be a single area of discussion for all the surrounding
villages and towns, including Chapala, Aijijic, Jocotepec, etc.

Obviously we have yet to do an awful lot of reading and study for
options and all of you have given us additional valuable input.

..... and they say retirement is easy :-)

Ed