Barcelona advice

Old March 29th, 2009, 11:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

Default Barcelona advice

Barcelona is one of the cities I haven't yet visited, but Mrs. F. and I are
planning to drive there in June from Malaga.

Just a couple of questions: where would be a good place to stay overnight to
break the journey? Maybe Valencia?

And can anyone recommend a reasonably-priced hotel in central Barcelona -
not knowing the city, I have no clue where the main areas are for shopping,
restaurants, museums, art galleries etc., so any advice is most welcome. I
trust advice from people here rather than scouring TripAdvisor.

The Chic&Basic in Born comes well recommended, but, at 170 euro a night,
it's a tad too pricey.
http://www.chicandbasic.com/esp/hotel_born_barcelona/

TIA,

Ian

Old March 30th, 2009, 07:53 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis

Ian F.:
Barcelona is one of the cities I haven't yet visited, but Mrs. F. and I are
planning to drive there in June from Malaga.

You're looking for a great trip (although I prefer Barcelona in
Occtober).

Just a couple of questions: where would be a good place to stay overnight to
break the journey? Maybe Valencia?

Can't help you here, but...

And can anyone recommend a reasonably-priced hotel in central Barcelona -
not knowing the city, I have no clue where the main areas are for shopping,
restaurants, museums, art galleries etc., so any advice is most welcome. I
trust advice from people here rather than scouring TripAdvisor.

The Chic&Basic in Born comes well recommended, but, at 170 euro a night,
it's a tad too pricey.
http://www.chicandbasic.com/esp/hotel_born_barcelona/

Well, I'll be offering advice for a non-central hotel. Try the Novotal
Sant Cugat at 20km from Barcelona. Double room from 89 Euros (quick
search. Perhaps even better offers. See for instance
http://www.agoda.de/europe/spain/bar...gat_hotel.html

)

Buy train tickets for the duration of your stay and you'll get to the
heart of Barcelona in 20 minutes. It's a nice train trip. And much
cheaper than staying in the heart of town.

Downtown Barcelona would be anything from Passeig de Gracia down to the
Maremagnum. If you want to see the 'important highlights for tourists',
you'd be visiting the Parc Guell a tad up north as well.
If you want to experience how folks in Barcelona live, Barceloneta is
worth a short visit. But you'd probably start off walking from Placa de
Catalunya down the Ramblas.

--
Erick
Old March 30th, 2009, 08:38 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Sun, 29 Mar 2009 23:47:30 +0100 schrieb Ian F.:

Just a couple of questions: where would be a good place to stay overnight to
break the journey? Maybe Valencia?

Definetely worth visiting! Make sure to have a look at the "Oceanographico"
(Aquarium) and the museums next to it. It's a bit pricey, but very
interesting. The old-town is also nice, but beware of pickpockets (we did
witness a woman with a map trying to steal from tourists near the church).

Regards,

Frank
Old March 30th, 2009, 09:56 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

"Pentaxuser" wrote in message

the "Ramblas" is the place to be, shops are a little inland from there
and restaurants are all around and down by the sea. Pick a hotel that
has an underground carpark, you want to lose the car ASAP. We use the
Rivoli Ramblas.

Thanks for that and to everyone for the other responses so far.

I've been looking at the Rivoli. Isn't it all a bit noisy around the
Ramblas, though? We love bars, restaurants and a lively area, but not if
we're going to be kept up all night by the racket!

Another recommendation was the Royal hotel.

Ian

Old March 30th, 2009, 01:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

"Pentaxuser" wrote in message

Yes, that's the good point! :-) I've never noticed noise in the rooms
but in Barcelona you should be out on the Ramblas till 3 or 4 in the
morning, sleep in the afternoon.

LOL! Maybe at your age! ;-)

Ian

Old March 30th, 2009, 02:52 PM
kellogg kellogg is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian F. View Post
Isn't it all a bit noisy around the
Ramblas, though? We love bars, restaurants and a lively area, but not if
we're going to be kept up all night by the racket!
We've stayed in the Ramblas area a few times and despite what you'd think it's not noisy at all at night-time...all of the places we've stayed have either double windows or shutters so we've never been disturbed. If you stay at a proper hotel I don't think you need to worry.

Some friends of ours stayed at the Royal and said it was great: location, staff, clean etc. Also had double windows so no noise at night. I think it's pretty reasonably priced too - I think I'd recommend it over the Rivoli anyway..
Old March 30th, 2009, 06:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Ian F. wrote:

"Pentaxuser" wrote in message

the "Ramblas" is the place to be, shops are a little inland from there
and restaurants are all around and down by the sea. Pick a hotel that
has an underground carpark, you want to lose the car ASAP. We use the
Rivoli Ramblas.

Thanks for that and to everyone for the other responses so far.

I've been looking at the Rivoli. Isn't it all a bit noisy around the
Ramblas, though? We love bars, restaurants and a lively area, but not if
we're going to be kept up all night by the racket!

It's noisy, yes, though sometimes the sidestreets just off it are
suprisingly quiet- similar if you have a room facing an inner courtyard
or something. We stayed in a hostal a few years ago near the Placa de
Catalunya end- forget the name, but I mentioned it here...

We'll spend a couple of nights (not consecutive) in Barcelona starting
next week, and I haven't booked yet. Seems like OK availability, and I'm
not averse to staying out of centre, as mentioned by another poster.
(The novotel.)

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old March 30th, 2009, 06:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Ian F. wrote:

"Pentaxuser" wrote in message

Yes, that's the good point! :-) I've never noticed noise in the rooms
but in Barcelona you should be out on the Ramblas till 3 or 4 in the
morning, sleep in the afternoon.

LOL! Maybe at your age! ;-)

You'll be impressed that quite a lot of elderly folks sit on the chairs
on La Rambla until the early hours!

Old March 30th, 2009, 08:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Steve Cain

"Ian F." wrote in message
Barcelona is one of the cities I haven't yet visited, but Mrs. F. and I
are planning to drive there in June from Malaga.

Just a couple of questions: where would be a good place to stay overnight
to break the journey? Maybe Valencia?

And can anyone recommend a reasonably-priced hotel in central Barcelona -
not knowing the city, I have no clue where the main areas are for
shopping, restaurants, museums, art galleries etc., so any advice is most
welcome. I trust advice from people here rather than scouring TripAdvisor.

The Chic&Basic in Born comes well recommended, but, at 170 euro a night,
it's a tad too pricey.

If you haven't been there before I'd certainly stop in Granada on the way to
Valencia. Perhaps 4 hours to catch the Alhambra? s

Old March 30th, 2009, 09:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge14[_2_]

Valencia is not bad for a stop.
Barcelona is much better and you have very good hotels a little away from
the dreades Rambals.
4 stars for less than 100 Euros, perfect service and good public transpoert.
Shopping is all around Plaza de Catalunya, but not only.
Visit the Gaudi houses, Google will help you.