Advice re hotels in BKK please...

Old June 8th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Markku Grönroos

Default Advice re hotels in BKK please...

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message

At the moment I'm staying in the Grace Hotel on Sukhimvit Soi 3 for 930

baht
per night (about US$23). It's very clean and well-maintained, well located
(5 minutes' walk to skytrain), probably what I'd call a 3-star. I cannot
imagine what I could get for more money that would be worth the additional
expense.

The best value rooms are typically those with minimum services in a
relatively new hotel. In fancy hotels one must pay for a dazzling facade,
three swimming pools, ten restaurants and bars, room service, and ashtrays
in halls in which the name of the hotel is written on sand, gyms and so on.
You do so even if you do not use these facilities. In Thailand one typically
can get a room by 1000 when a "rack price" is something like 2500-4000. Even
in cheap hotels all rooms accomodate aircon and an icebox. Once in the
Chumpon province I hired a well maintained and spacious motel room with a
tiled floor, tidy bathroom and so on by 300. One should always check the
rooms for smelly matresses and mould (where visible).

Old June 8th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Nisse PowerMan

Sjoerd wrote:

"Tchiowa" schreef in bericht
om...
???? Notice that he said Bangkok, not some smaller city. A fairly
cheap tourist hotel in Bangkok is $50.

Bull****. Last month, we stayed in a clean, nice twin-bed room, downtown
Bangkok, certainly 3 star hotel, large bathroom with bathtub, TV, minibar,
safe in the room, jacuzzi on the roof of the hotel, for 980 baht (EUR 20,
USD 24) for the room per night, nice buffet breakfast included.

Sjoerd

I have same experience, near Sky Train station Ploenchit I stayed in
good hotel and paid 1.100 THB per night, all inclusive, same as above
except for minisafe and jacuzzi, but with a good pool.

No need to pay more than MAX 1.500 THB.

/Anders

--
Remove the obvious part before replying by mail please!
Old June 8th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Tchiowa

"Sjoerd" wrote in message ...
"Tchiowa" schreef in bericht
om...
???? Notice that he said Bangkok, not some smaller city. A fairly
cheap tourist hotel in Bangkok is $50.

Bull****. Last month, we stayed in a clean, nice twin-bed room, downtown
Bangkok, certainly 3 star hotel, large bathroom with bathtub, TV, minibar,
safe in the room, jacuzzi on the roof of the hotel, for 980 baht (EUR 20,
USD 24) for the room per night, nice buffet breakfast included.

Which is a "cheap tourist hotel". Other "cheap tourist hotels" like
the Nana charge around 40, for example. These are lower end hotels.

For a backpacker that's a reasonable hotel. For the typical tourist
that's not.
Old June 8th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Tchiowa

Miguel Cruz wrote in message ...
Tchiowa wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
Not sure what you're looking for but from what I can tell there's not much
reason to spend more than US$25/night unless you are in the market for
serious luxury.

???? Notice that he said Bangkok, not some smaller city. A fairly
cheap tourist hotel in Bangkok is $50. Luxury hotels are over $100 a
night in Bangkok.

At the moment I'm staying in the Grace Hotel on Sukhimvit Soi 3 for 930 baht
per night (about US$23). It's very clean and well-maintained, well located
(5 minutes' walk to skytrain), probably what I'd call a 3-star. I cannot
imagine what I could get for more money that would be worth the additional
expense.

I didn't say that the the additional expense would be worth it. For
some people it is, for others it isn't.

But your note said that anything over $25 a night is "serious luxury"
and that makes no sense. The Nana is more than that and it's anything
but "serious luxury". You won't get into anything that you could call
"luxury" below $100/night.
Old June 8th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Tchiowa" wrote in message
om...

Which is a "cheap tourist hotel". Other "cheap tourist hotels" like
the Nana charge around 40, for example. These are lower end hotels.

I booked in the Imperial Mae Ping Hotel in Chiang Mai by 30 euros last
summer. It isn't lower end.

Old June 8th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Tchiowa

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message ...
"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message

At the moment I'm staying in the Grace Hotel on Sukhimvit Soi 3 for 930

baht
per night (about US$23). It's very clean and well-maintained, well located
(5 minutes' walk to skytrain), probably what I'd call a 3-star. I cannot
imagine what I could get for more money that would be worth the additional
expense.

The best value rooms are typically those with minimum services in a
relatively new hotel.

Depends on how you define "value". For some people, lack of
cockroaches is a luxury, for others it is a necessity and worth
something.

In fancy hotels one must pay for a dazzling facade,
three swimming pools, ten restaurants and bars, room service, and ashtrays
in halls in which the name of the hotel is written on sand, gyms and so on.

Very true. For some people that's of no value. For others it's part of
why they go on vacation, to relax and live "the life of Riley" for a
bit.

You do so even if you do not use these facilities. In Thailand one typically
can get a room by 1000 when a "rack price" is something like 2500-4000.

Again, true. But I hope you weren't trying to imply that applied to my
statement of "over $100". For instance, a suite on the Executive Level
at JWM has a rack rate of $300/night last time I checked, but I get if
for around $120.

*NOBODY* pays rack rate. It's just there so that the hotel can pretend
you have a good deal.
Old June 8th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Tchiowa" wrote in message
om...

Very true. For some people that's of no value. For others it's part of
why they go on vacation, to relax and live "the life of Riley" for a
bit.

My interests are outside hotels.

Old June 8th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Nige

"Tchiowa" wrote in message
om...

Which is a "cheap tourist hotel". Other "cheap tourist hotels" like
the Nana charge around 40, for example. These are lower end hotels.

I booked in the Imperial Mae Ping Hotel in Chiang Mai by 30 euros last
summer. It isn't lower end.

Yeah but Chiang Mai is an hours flight north of Bangkok and quite a long
journey just for a bed for the night.

Old June 8th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Nige" wrote in message

Yeah but Chiang Mai is an hours flight north of Bangkok and quite a long
journey just for a bed for the night.

What night?

Old June 8th, 2004, 10:25 PM
Sjoerd

"Tchiowa" schreef in bericht
om...
"Sjoerd" wrote in message

"Tchiowa" schreef in bericht
om...
???? Notice that he said Bangkok, not some smaller city. A fairly
cheap tourist hotel in Bangkok is $50.

Bull****. Last month, we stayed in a clean, nice twin-bed room, downtown
Bangkok, certainly 3 star hotel, large bathroom with bathtub, TV,

minibar,
safe in the room, jacuzzi on the roof of the hotel, for 980 baht (EUR

20,
USD 24) for the room per night, nice buffet breakfast included.

Which is a "cheap tourist hotel". Other "cheap tourist hotels" like
the Nana charge around 40, for example. These are lower end hotels.

For a backpacker that's a reasonable hotel. For the typical tourist
that's not.

I am not a backpacker (anymore). I don't know if we qualify as typical
tourists, but the hotel we stayed is totally adequate for a typical tourist.
Clean, fairly large room, private bath, minibar, TV, room service, what else
does a typical tourist want in a city hotel?
It is the kind of hotel room that one would pay USD 200 in New York City and
over EUR 120 in most European capitals for.

Sjoerd