A simple policy w.r.t aeroplane seats and large people

Old September 3rd, 2004, 08:52 AM
David

Default A simple policy w.r.t aeroplane seats and large people

Can they really do that? Or is it the same kind of technology that allows
you to shoot missiline with lasers from space since the Reagan era?
I mean, when I boarded in *NYC* in *September 10th 2003*, they even had
troubles with x-raying all the shoes. I had to remove mine and pass them
through the machine, but both my girlfriend and her brother (who looks
suspect enough to be routinely searched by cops in France) didn't have to
remove their shoes, because the operators were in a hurry. After a while,
they were just letting people go through the gate without bothering to
check, because they could not cope with the flow. If "identifying your iris"
is as reliable as that, I'm afraid you're over-estimating airport screening
capacities.

Iris screening is being trialed at Frankfurt Airport with the "carrot"
that it is a fastrack way through security. Scary stuff if it works,
Scary stuff if it doesnt...
Dave
Old September 7th, 2004, 03:55 PM
David

Iris scanning has been available at Amsterdam airport for some time
now. It is an option for those who want a speedier way through
immigration. There is nothing remotely scary about it. If you are
interested in using it, you join the scheme and you use it, if not you
don't.

I meant scary in the "Big Brother surveillance" sense. In a similar
way to the "creep" of ID card introduction in the UK, the airport
makes the alternative more and more difficult with queues and delays
until such time everyone sucumbs to such checking because there no
alternative.

Dave