What food do you think of when you think of Beijing?

Old February 10th, 2006, 03:17 AM posted to soc.culture.china,rec.travel.asia

Default What food do you think of when you think of Beijing?

"Ira Humperdink MD" wrote in message
oups.com...
be careful about those dumplings. they pay workers $0.10/hour to make
these dumplings. at wages so low, how many bother to wash their hands
after going to toilet?

do you mean they have some workers who are like those who work in the many
McDonalds in the USA????

I am sure you don't know what goes on in all the kitchens in restaurants in
the USA, expensive and cheap.. I hear stories a while back and don't think
the USA is always sanitary..

there was a huge stink in Phila (close to where I live) where all those
pretzel vendors were observed by a spycam (local TV station).. they showed
these guys picking their nose and ****ing behind their cart, then come back
and pick up a bunch of pretzals and sell them to someone.. these pictures
were on TV, it's not an urban legand.. it happens all the time in the USA,
and I am sure some chinese are just as dirty as americans.

almost all the time, what I don't know can't hurt me.. that goes for
McDonalds by my home or in any country.

Old February 10th, 2006, 03:21 AM posted to soc.culture.china,rec.travel.asia

BillReese wrote:

almost all the time, what I don't know can't hurt me.. that goes for
McDonalds by my home or in any country.

yes... and the fact that almost all visitors to the usa report vomiting
and ****ing out the ass after a few days more or less proves it!

michael
Old February 10th, 2006, 03:47 AM posted to soc.culture.china,rec.travel.asia

"michael" wrote in message
BillReese wrote:

almost all the time, what I don't know can't hurt me.. that goes for
McDonalds by my home or in any country.

yes... and the fact that almost all visitors to the usa report vomiting
and ****ing out the ass after a few days more or less proves it!
michael

you nit-wit.. I said that statement as a truth.. For you to say "almost
all visitors" PROVES just one thing. You are a spammer hung up on making
a political statement.. get a life... You must be from some tiny country
who is afraid of it's own shadow. You and your country can't stand Mr. Big
because you are so feeble and depressed.

Yes, a "few" places in the usa that are not clean, but you can be sure most
are. My company gets many, many international visitors at my research
center, I can't remember one person coming here on a trip who was sick in my
32 years working there.

You are simply spam, like a natt on a horses ass.. You have no substance
to add, so you ruin the thread for others just because no one will talk to
you and you are bored. Go away you twerp, get a life.

The point I was making is that the Chinese are "people" just like Americans
are "people" any country has lazy and dirty people.. but most people are
not dirty and lazy.

BR

Old February 10th, 2006, 08:14 AM posted to soc.culture.china,rec.travel.asia

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 12:38:18 GMT, "BillReese"
wrote:

food, for example. You mentioned dumplings (jiaozi). Jiaozi exist all
over the place, but Beijing-style jiaozi are a specialty, and are very
good, indeed. There are all sorts of other Beijing-area specialties,
and though I had no trouble passing on the silkworms and scorpions on

I've had dumplings in Beijing, Shenyang, dandong, dalien, haungzhou,
shanghai, wuhan, Chongqing, and a few other places I don't know their name..
Basically they are all the same.. you must have some extra sensitive tongue
that can pick up the differences in water flavor in them or something..

Nope, not water flavor.

basically they are all made the same way, yes you can get some spicy, and
others are not..

[snip]

That's hardly the only variation in dumplings. How about the
ingredients in the fillings? That's kind of like saying "I've had
pasta dishes in Palermo, Naples, Rome, Siena, Perugia, Spoleto,
Florence, and Bologna, and they are all basically the same." Oh yeah?
Forgetting the differences in the shapes and composition of the pasta
(differences in the flour, additions of spinach, tomatoes, squid ink,
etc.), what about the different sauces?

I have to wonder if there are some tourists from China who find
Southern Italian and Northern German food much the same. Do you also
find that you can't distinguish the difference between the sound of
Mandarin and Wu (Shanghainese language or so-called "dialect," which I
understand has about as many spoken words related to Mandarin as
Polish does to English)? I find that they don't sound similar at all.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the NOTRASH. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old February 11th, 2006, 02:50 AM posted to soc.culture.china,rec.travel.asia

I have to wonder if there are some tourists from China who find
Southern Italian and Northern German food much the same. Do you also
find that you can't distinguish the difference between the sound of
Mandarin and Wu (Shanghainese language or so-called "dialect," which I
understand has about as many spoken words related to Mandarin as
Polish does to English)? I find that they don't sound similar at all.

Michael

Michael,
you are making too much of this.. I was not saying there are not different
foods that are more common in the south than the north.. that is a
no-brainer.. I'm saying the overwhelming foods are the same.. Just like in
the USA, you can get a steak in the NORTH, and the SOUTH, and the EAST, and
the WEST.. there are many more foods like that than things like
hush-puppies, and other regional specialities..

In china, most places sell traditional dishes that you can buy anywhere. I
remember when I was in Chongqing.. they advertised hot-pot a lot.. I had it,
and it was pretty crappy where I had it, but I had similar dishes up north..
so what was the big deal about hot-pot.. which is the most famous dish in
the yangtze basin.. to me nothing.. it was not really new, it was something
that I've basically had other places far away from there.

yea.. dumplings have different fillings, you can get like I said well over
40 types in Lo Bien in Shenyang up north.. I seriously doubt that you'll
find any dumplings in the south that will be much different.. I've not seen
any surprises in shanghai, I've been to that old city stand that is supposed
to have the best there. and they were basicaly the same as up north, just
slightly different.. nothing to write home to mom about

description at he
http://www.sycbd.gov.cn/channel/0006...11226_0001.asp