Europe's (and the world's) best restaurants

Old April 21st, 2004, 07:43 PM

Default Europe's (and the world's) best restaurants

From http://www.restaurantmagazine.co.uk

RESTAURANT MAGAZINE - 50 BEST RESTAURANTS IN THE WORLD 2004 (in
association with Penfolds)
(UK Restaurants CAPITALISED)
French Laundry, Yountville, CA, USA
THE FAT DUCK, Bray
El Bulli, Spain
L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon, Paris
Pierre Gagnaire, Paris
Guy Savoy, Paris
NOBU, London
RESTAURANT GORDON RAMSAY, London Louis XV, Monaco
Gramercy Tavern, New York
Daniel, New York
Tetsuya's, Sydney
HAKKASAN, London
THE WATERSIDE INN, Bray
ST JOHN, London
L'Ami Louis, Paris
Jean Georges, New York
LE GAVROCHE, London
Flower Drum, Melbourne
THE MERCHANT HOUSE, Ludlow
Arzak, San Sebastian, Spain
Dal Pescatore, Canneto sull'Oglio, Italy
THE IVY, London
Arpege, Paris
El Raco de Can Fabes, San Celoni, Spain
Schwarzwaldstube, Baiersbronn, Germany
The Cliff, Barbados
Rockpool, Sydney
LE MANOIR AUX QUAT' SAISONS, Oxford
Al Mahara, Burj Al Arab, Dubai
Charlie Trotter, Chicago
Le Jardin des Sens, Montpellier
THE SQUARE, London
Spago, Los Angeles
Bukhara, India
Chez Panisse, California
Le Meurice, Paris
Trois Gros, Roanne, France
Balthazar, New York
RIVER CAFÉ, London
La Tupina, Bordeaux
Auberge d'Ill, Illhauseern-Alsace
Craft, New York
Le Tour d'Argent, Paris
La Maison de Marc Veyrat, Annecy, France
Felix, Peninsula Hotel, Hong Kong
De Karmeliet, Bruges
THE WOLSELEY, London
Gambero Rosso, San Vincenzo
Old April 21st, 2004, 07:47 PM
Phil Richards

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 18:43:43 +0000 (UTC)
said...

From http://www.restaurantmagazine.co.uk

RESTAURANT MAGAZINE - 50 BEST RESTAURANTS IN THE WORLD 2004 (in
association with Penfolds)
(UK Restaurants CAPITALISED)

THE FAT DUCK, Bray

THE WATERSIDE INN, Bray

Well it's reassuring to know that Bray (a village in Berkshire, to the
West of London) is home to two of the list of 50....

--
Phil Richards
London

Old April 21st, 2004, 08:56 PM
Padraig Breathnach

wrote:

From
http://www.restaurantmagazine.co.uk
But do you agree with all the selections?

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old April 21st, 2004, 09:29 PM
Larry

wrote:

From
http://www.restaurantmagazine.co.uk

Charlie Trotter, Chicago

Dump Trotter, and add the Inn at Little Washington (Washington, VA,
USA), IMO.

-- Larry

Old April 21st, 2004, 09:30 PM
Juliana L Holm

Larry wrote:
wrote:

From
http://www.restaurantmagazine.co.uk

Charlie Trotter, Chicago

Dump Trotter, and add the Inn at Little Washington (Washington, VA,
USA), IMO.

Yes, I wondered where it fit on this. I think the UK restaurant magazine
must have missed it.

Julie

--
Julie
**********

Old April 22nd, 2004, 10:02 AM
The Reids

Following up to Phil Richards

THE FAT DUCK, Bray

THE WATERSIDE INN, Bray

Well it's reassuring to know that Bray (a village in Berkshire, to the
West of London) is home to two of the list of 50....

and i'll be there next week :-)
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old April 22nd, 2004, 10:02 AM
The Reids

Following up to Padraig Breathnach

wrote:

From http://www.restaurantmagazine.co.uk

But do you agree with all the selections?

THE FAT DUCK, Bray

tell you later.

El Bulli, Spain

Yes.

THE WATERSIDE INN, Bray

tell you later

ST JOHN, London

top 50, not sure.

Arzak, San Sebastian, Spain

Yes, but Akelari should be in too.

THE IVY, London

Yes, if you can get a table!

RIVER CAFÉ, London

Maybe, certainly better than the cook books they sell.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 02:28 PM
Olivers

Juliana L Holm muttered....

Larry wrote:
wrote:

From
http://www.restaurantmagazine.co.uk

Charlie Trotter, Chicago

Dump Trotter, and add the Inn at Little Washington (Washington, VA,
USA), IMO.

Yes, I wondered where it fit on this. I think the UK restaurant
magazine must have missed it.

The entire list seems somewhat subjective, expecially a couple of the US
entries (which might give cause to suspect others).

TMO
Old April 22nd, 2004, 02:31 PM
Olivers

Scott Hamlin muttered....

What? No Uglesich's (New Orleans)!

Is it in Louisiana's top 50?

I know a number of folks who would rationally argue over that....

Excellence is in the eye of the beholder (or diner) and the whole list has
an air of unearthly pretense about it.

TMO