Reserved rental cars (was: Lufthansa Complaint)

Old April 15th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Ulf Kutzner

Default Reserved rental cars (was: Lufthansa Complaint)

Eradicator schrieb:

Every time I`ve rented a car from Budget the car I "reserved" is never there
and they give me something else for the same price. I don`t think many cars
just sit around, they rent them to who is there at the time!!

Maybe the computer reservation system knows that most customers accept
better cars than booked.

Well, not all customers want bigger or more fuel consuming cars.

Regards & X-post, ULF
Old April 15th, 2004, 01:56 PM
gman99

Ulf Kutzner wrote:
Eradicator schrieb:

Every time I`ve rented a car from Budget the car I "reserved" is never
there and they give me something else for the same price. I don`t think
many cars just sit around, they rent them to who is there at the time!!

Maybe the computer reservation system knows that most customers accept
better cars than booked.

Well, not all customers want bigger or more fuel consuming cars.

Regards & X-post, ULF

Most rental car companies estimate what they'll have, they cna have
hundreds of cars in their fleet but when a customer shoes up there may not
be one in the class they ordered. Many also try the upsell...well...for a
few dollars a day more you can have AC or a CD player or cruise control. I
rent every weekend, get the cheap 10 dollar a day from Enterprise...cheaper
than buying and insuring a car (MUCH cheaper).
Old April 15th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Mark Hewitt

"gman99" wrote in message
Ulf Kutzner wrote:

Most rental car companies estimate what they'll have, they cna have
hundreds of cars in their fleet but when a customer shoes up there may not
be one in the class they ordered. Many also try the upsell...well...for a
few dollars a day more you can have AC or a CD player or cruise control. I
rent every weekend, get the cheap 10 dollar a day from

Enterprise...cheaper
than buying and insuring a car (MUCH cheaper).

Wish I had that option here in the UK! When you add insurance Enterprise is
more like US$120 for a weekend.
Other rental companies are the same, which makes for some very expensive
trips! (I don't own a car either)

Old April 17th, 2004, 06:33 AM
Jenn

Ulf Kutzner wrote:

Eradicator schrieb:

Every time I`ve rented a car from Budget the car I "reserved" is never there
and they give me something else for the same price. I don`t think many cars
just sit around, they rent them to who is there at the time!!

Maybe the computer reservation system knows that most customers accept
better cars than booked.

Well, not all customers want bigger or more fuel consuming cars.

Regards & X-post, ULF

seinfeld pretty much got it right with his bit on the fact that rental
car companies don't understand the concept 'reservation' to mean
actually having a car --- it is not unusual to have to wait a long time
for a car at budget agencies -- and time is what you have bought on an
expensive vacation
Old April 17th, 2004, 12:01 PM
SP Cook

Jenn wrote in message

Every time I`ve rented a car from Budget the car I "reserved" is never there
and they give me something else for the same price. I don`t think many cars
just sit around, they rent them to who is there at the time!!

Maybe the computer reservation system knows that most customers accept
better cars than booked.

Well, not all customers want bigger or more fuel consuming cars.

That is the rental car system.

The company knows that it can offer varrious sized cars and most
customers appreciate being bumped up. This is why you should always
reserve the smallest car offered, because you have a 40% chance of
being bumped up at no charge.

If this bothers you, just open up the special requests comment box
when you make a reservation and enter "I am an enviro-wacko and
actually like small **** box cars and will not accept an upgrade", and
you will be taken care of.
Old April 17th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Michael

"SP Cook" wrote in message
om...
Jenn wrote in message

That is the rental car system.

The company knows that it can offer varrious sized cars and most
customers appreciate being bumped up. This is why you should always
reserve the smallest car offered, because you have a 40% chance of
being bumped up at no charge.

If this bothers you, just open up the special requests comment box
when you make a reservation and enter "I am an enviro-wacko and
actually like small **** box cars and will not accept an upgrade", and
you will be taken care of.

This would of course leave a 60% chance of being given a small car that you
didn't want (or having to pay a big charge for an upgrade on the day).

Old April 17th, 2004, 07:49 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

SP Cook wrote:

Jenn wrote in message

[...]

Well of course I've never rented a car in Europe (I'm timid enough about
driving in strange cities in my own country, where I know the laws and
speak the language fluently). However, I actually PREFER smaller cars
(I only wish the cute little two-seaters one sees in European cities
were available here). Here in the U.S. I've always been given what I
made a reservation for. (Once or twice they've tried to "upgrade" me,
but when I held out for what I'd reserved, I got it.)
Old April 17th, 2004, 09:53 PM
jenn

Michael wrote:

"SP Cook" wrote in message
om...

Jenn wrote in message

That is the rental car system.

The company knows that it can offer varrious sized cars and most
customers appreciate being bumped up. This is why you should always
reserve the smallest car offered, because you have a 40% chance of
being bumped up at no charge.

If this bothers you, just open up the special requests comment box
when you make a reservation and enter "I am an enviro-wacko and
actually like small **** box cars and will not accept an upgrade", and
you will be taken care of.

This would of course leave a 60% chance of being given a small car that you
didn't want (or having to pay a big charge for an upgrade on the day).

I didn't make the statement to which you are responding -- I wish people
would learn to trim properly ---