Walkie Talkies

Old December 29th, 2003, 08:08 PM
JS

Default Walkie Talkies

Which ones are best and why?
Old December 29th, 2003, 10:39 PM
Dick Goldhaber

The only one I have ever seen work on a cruise ship were Nextel on our Canal cruise in 2001. There was a couple who had them because you could hear their distinctive "beep".
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Which ones are best and why?

Old December 29th, 2003, 11:11 PM
JS

I would think that units that don't beep would be less disturbing? Ae there any that you know of?

"Dick Goldhaber" wrote in message ...
The only one I have ever seen work on a cruise ship were Nextel on our Canal cruise in 2001. There was a couple who had them because you could hear their distinctive "beep".
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Which ones are best and why?
Old December 29th, 2003, 11:36 PM
Mike Cordelli

Most any unit when worn with a headset won't beep and nobody has to listen
to them then, just the person wearing the headset.

"JS" wrote in message
.. .
I would think that units that don't beep would be less disturbing? Ae there
any that you know of?

"Dick Goldhaber" wrote in message
The only one I have ever seen work on a cruise ship were Nextel on our Canal
cruise in 2001. There was a couple who had them because you could hear
their distinctive "beep".
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

"JS" wrote in message
.. .
Which ones are best and why?

Old December 29th, 2003, 11:50 PM
User 1.nospam

Which ones are best and why?

The FRS units are severely impaired due to the steel decks. If you are on
the Lido deck and your wife is in your cabin, say...five decks below...you
can pretty well forget any successful communication. OTOH, if you are on
the same deck or within a deck or two of your other party, they can work
reasonablly well. Be aware, you may have a time finding an empty channel,
there are a lot of folks with these things anymore.

Old December 29th, 2003, 11:59 PM
Pete

We use the kenwood and have great luck with them, they also have a privacy
channel that avoids the excess chatter

Pete
t...

Old December 30th, 2003, 05:14 PM
JerryC

We just use the Motorola Talkabouts, they're great. Keep in mind to
minimize usage as these can be quite annoying to people trying to relax
on the deck, etc. We keep one in the room usually, and one with us. Keep
the volume low and don't abuse, it's pretty obnoxious. Great while on
shore though.

In article ,
says...
I would think that units that don't beep would be less disturbing? Ae there any that you know of?

"Dick Goldhaber" wrote in message ...
The only one I have ever seen work on a cruise ship were Nextel on our Canal cruise in 2001. There was a couple who had them because you could hear their distinctive "beep".
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Which ones are best and why?

Old December 31st, 2003, 04:08 PM
Linda Pattison

We use the Talkabouts as well. Also, we always put them into 'silent
mode' (vibrate) and turn off the
Roger beep. This minimizes the intrusions to the people around us.
Also, our model has several
privacy codes per channel. This makes it easier to find a quiet channel
cutting down the chatter.

Linda

JerryC wrote:

We just use the Motorola Talkabouts, they're great. Keep in mind to
minimize usage as these can be quite annoying to people trying to relax
on the deck, etc. We keep one in the room usually, and one with us. Keep
the volume low and don't abuse, it's pretty obnoxious. Great while on
shore though.

In article ,
says...

I would think that units that don't beep would be less disturbing? Ae there any that you know of?

"Dick Goldhaber" wrote in message ...
The only one I have ever seen work on a cruise ship were Nextel on our Canal cruise in 2001. There was a couple who had them because you could hear their distinctive "beep".
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

"JS" wrote in message .. .
Which ones are best and why?