San Juan and Bacardi Factory

Old May 5th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Finz Up

Default San Juan and Bacardi Factory

I'll be in on a cruise that stops in San Juan, just from 3PM-midnight.
Hubby wants to go to the Bacardi Factory and do the tour. Is it pretty
easy to get a cab at the dock to take you there?
Are the prices on Rum better there or in town?

Any fun local hang-out type bars we shouldn't miss?
Thanks!

--
Maybe it's all too simple, for our big brains to figure out...
What if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about? JB
Old May 5th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Juliana L Holm

In rec.travel.cruises Finz Up wrote:
I'll be in on a cruise that stops in San Juan, just from 3PM-midnight.
Hubby wants to go to the Bacardi Factory and do the tour. Is it pretty
easy to get a cab at the dock to take you there?
Are the prices on Rum better there or in town?

Not a cab. You get a ferry at the dock (very easy) to the Bacardi factory.
I cannot remember the details, but you will probably be able to find them
in any guidebook.

--
Julie
**********
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:28 PM
George Howarth

We did the Barcardi Factory tour on our own a few years ago when we were on
the Massdam. Walked down to the ferry dock, short ferry ride to the other
side, a short walk to a large building were there were taxi's waiting. Short
taxi ride to the factory. Factory tour is free. I don't remember what the
cost of the taxi and ferry ride was but it was nowhere near what the cruise
line was asking for the same trip.

Old May 5th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Scott Kinney

Depends on where your ship docks in San Juan.

There's a cruise terminal that's a little out of the way
from most things, and there's one that's right in Old San Juan
(where there are neat restaurants, a number of bars, and
it's pretty easy to walk around in.)

For 50cents you can take a trolley ride around
Old San Juan.

Can't say anything about the Bacardi tour, didn't take it.

Old May 5th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Rqf

I the ship docks in OSJ you can walk to the ferry that will take you
to Catano. From a parking lot near the ferry you can get a Publico to
take you to the Bacardi factory. The ferry does not go to the Bacardi
factory. Ferry/taxi should take around 30 minutes so you had better
check to see how late the tours run.
Old May 6th, 2004, 02:58 AM
capn archer

On Wed, 05 May 2004 18:28:03 GMT, "George Howarth"
wrote:

We did the Barcardi Factory tour on our own a few years ago when we were on
the Massdam. Walked down to the ferry dock, short ferry ride to the other
side, a short walk to a large building were there were taxi's waiting. Short
taxi ride to the factory. Factory tour is free. I don't remember what the
cost of the taxi and ferry ride was but it was nowhere near what the cruise
line was asking for the same trip.
"Finz Up" wrote in message
t...
I'll be in on a cruise that stops in San Juan, just from 3PM-midnight.
Hubby wants to go to the Bacardi Factory and do the tour. Is it pretty
easy to get a cab at the dock to take you there?
Are the prices on Rum better there or in town?

Any fun local hang-out type bars we shouldn't miss?
Thanks!

--
Maybe it's all too simple, for our big brains to figure out...
What if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about? JB

The prices are much better at the store upstairs in the main terminal
building right by the ship. One tour van driver told us that the
factory has a deal not to undercut the local merchants and it was
noticeable to me that the prices seemed high at the Bacardi store.

One neat thing on the tour. A place to stop, record a short video and
email it to your friends back home. Otherwise the tour is mostly a
movie/commercial and a short walk through some old equipment. Not
anywhere near the production. I learned a lot more at the Cruzan
factory on St. Croix.

Old May 6th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Keith

Even better: The Mount Gay distillery in Barbados. Nice tour, good tasting,
great rum!

--

Keith
__
wrote:

We did the Barcardi Factory tour on our own a few years ago when we were

on
the Massdam. Walked down to the ferry dock, short ferry ride to the

other
side, a short walk to a large building were there were taxi's waiting.

Short
taxi ride to the factory. Factory tour is free. I don't remember what the
cost of the taxi and ferry ride was but it was nowhere near what the

cruise
line was asking for the same trip.
t...