NYC-Should I drive or not? Also-How do I get to Coney Island?

Old August 10th, 2004, 01:27 AM
Eddie Type 2

Default NYC-Should I drive or not? Also-How do I get to Coney Island?

Hi all,

I am new to this group. I am planning a day trip up to NYC from Atlantic
City next week sometime. We will be staying in Atlantic City for 4 days and
I would like to take one day to visit NYC.

My particular point of interest for me and family (wife, Daughter14, Son12,
Son4) is to go to the American Museum of Natural History and also the Hady
Planetarium.

I am limited as to how far I can walk and paying for parking is not a
problem if I am able to minimize any walking distances.

I was thinking that I would like to do the following things........

1. Drive through Manhattan to see Broadway, The Empire State Building, The
United Nations.
2. Find a place to park and go to the Carnegie Deli.
3. Park at the American Museum of Natural History and visit the Museum and
Planetarium.
4. Drive down to Battery Park and park the car near the Staten Island Ferry
so that we can take the Ferry and see the Statue of Liberty from a distance
(no desire to go to Ellis Island).
5. Would like to drive the car to Coney Island, park and go on a few rides
and eat a frank at Nathan's.

Any comments, directions, suggested routes, suggested streets to drive down,
places to park that are close by my desired destinations, and how drive to
Coney Island from Manhattan and then get back to Atlantic City would be
sincerely appreciated!!!

I have maps, but sometimes it's better to hear from people who know the
area.

Thx,

Eddie

Old August 10th, 2004, 02:36 AM
Shawn Hearn

In article ,
"Eddie Type 2" wrote:

Hi all,

I am new to this group. I am planning a day trip up to NYC from Atlantic
City next week sometime. We will be staying in Atlantic City for 4 days and
I would like to take one day to visit NYC.

My particular point of interest for me and family (wife, Daughter14, Son12,
Son4) is to go to the American Museum of Natural History and also the Hady
Planetarium.

I am limited as to how far I can walk and paying for parking is not a
problem if I am able to minimize any walking distances.

Then you should drive. You might want to drive to Liberty State Park in
New Jersey and than take a ferry over to Manhattan, but if you want to
visit Coney Island also, driving is best. While in Manhattan, you can
use public transit or take taxies. Frankly though, with one day in New
York City, I suggest you skip Coney Island. It is run down and not
particularly interesting, in my opinion.

I was thinking that I would like to do the following things........

1. Drive through Manhattan to see Broadway, The Empire State Building, The
United Nations.
2. Find a place to park and go to the Carnegie Deli.

The 2nd Avenue Deli is much better. Its on 10th Street at ... 2nd Avenue.
Its closed on Saturdays though.

3. Park at the American Museum of Natural History and visit the Museum and
Planetarium.
4. Drive down to Battery Park and park the car near the Staten Island Ferry
so that we can take the Ferry and see the Statue of Liberty from a distance
(no desire to go to Ellis Island).
5. Would like to drive the car to Coney Island, park and go on a few rides
and eat a frank at Nathan's.

Any comments, directions, suggested routes, suggested streets to drive down,
places to park that are close by my desired destinations, and how drive to
Coney Island from Manhattan and then get back to Atlantic City would be
sincerely appreciated!!!

Way too much to do in a single day if you have mobility problems, even
with the help of your car. You can easily spend the entire day just in
the American Museum of Natural History, which is probably one of the
most fascinating museums in New York City. If I were you, I would just
pick one museum to visit during the day and plan for a nice lunch at the
Carnegie or one of New York's other wonderful Kosher delis. Then wait
until night fall to visit the Empire State Building.

Keep in mind that if you visit Manhattan on a weekday, traffic volume
will be very heavy. You did not say when you plan to make this visit,
but if at all possible, do it on a Sunday.

Old August 10th, 2004, 02:49 AM
jcoulter

Shawn Hearn wrote in
:

In article ,
"Eddie Type 2" wrote:

[...]

Coney island is also a serious deviation in time from the city. I have
encountered driving times of an hour from approx. Coney Island to the
Verranzano Narrows Bridge. A lot of traffic for a not so important bit of
time.
Old August 10th, 2004, 03:05 AM
Ann B.

You're trying to do way to much in one day. As a previous poster
said, the Museum of Natural History can take the whole day. I don't
hink driving is a good idea - if you're not used to driving in NYC it
will be a a very stressful experience for you. Why not take the bus
from the central bus station in Atlantic City right to Port Authority
in NYC? That will put you right in the Times Square area. You can
then cab it up to the museum and back, so that little walking is
involved outside, however inside the museum, actually any museum, you
can't avoid the walking unless you havbe a wheel chair. Not sure if
you can rent one there, but may be orthwhile to check on it.

As to the Empire State bldg, you'll be able to see it from the Times
Sq area. Unless you're going up to the top, there's no point going to
the block where it is (34 & 5).

The ferry is a lovely thing to do, but a caution if you're coming on a
weekday - rush hours are mob scenes and not enjoyable. anytime
between 4 PM - 6:30 PM should be avoided going from Manhattan. As the
ferry runs only 1 time every half hour, outside rush hours the round
trip can take you 1 hr 45 min or longer if you have to wait longer.

Coney Island and also Brighton Beach, it's neighbor can be fun.
Nathan's is the place to eat if you go there. But, given what else
you hope to see and do, it's not going to happen in one day.

I'd recommend that you focus on one part of town. If the museum is
your 'must see' then keep it to the west side - midtown and above.
That will get you Broadway in the theatre district, the empire state
bldg and the museum. Plenty of nice places to eat in the museum
vicinity and inside the museum. Carnegie deli is not so good - just
well known. If you want to take a late bus back, then do the ferry in
the evening. The subway will take you right from the museum to the
ferry with little walking involved. It's the quickest and best way to
go, and the cars are air-conditioned.

Have fun!

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 20:27:30 -0400, "Eddie Type 2"
wrote:

[...]

Cheers,
Ann

To email: replace 'REMOVE' with 'b' in email address.

Old August 10th, 2004, 05:12 AM
Brian Wickham

wrote:

Hi all,

I am new to this group. I am planning a day trip up to NYC from Atlantic
City next week sometime. We will be staying in Atlantic City for 4 days and
I would like to take one day to visit NYC.

My particular point of interest for me and family (wife, Daughter14, Son12,
Son4) is to go to the American Museum of Natural History and also the Hady
Planetarium.

On a weekday the Museum parking garage entrance is blocked with school
buses bringing in class tours. That gets heavy at about 11:30 am and
lasts for an hour or so.

You will enjoy the planetarium show but it's over in a wink of the eye
and you'll wonder where all that money went. It will be expensive for
5 people even if you have a members discount.

I am limited as to how far I can walk and paying for parking is not a
problem if I am able to minimize any walking distances.

Leave the car in one place and take cabs.

I was thinking that I would like to do the following things........

1. Drive through Manhattan to see Broadway, The Empire State Building, The
United Nations.
2. Find a place to park and go to the Carnegie Deli.
3. Park at the American Museum of Natural History and visit the Museum and
Planetarium.
4. Drive down to Battery Park and park the car near the Staten Island Ferry
so that we can take the Ferry and see the Statue of Liberty from a distance
(no desire to go to Ellis Island).
5. Would like to drive the car to Coney Island, park and go on a few rides
and eat a frank at Nathan's.

Way too many things for one day. If your family has never been to New
York you may be better off just driving around and looking at the
sites. If they are impressed you can always take another vacation and
return to NYC. Remember, your driving time from and back to Atlantic
City will eat up a lot of your day.

You will never make it to Coney Island. Too bad!! The franks at
Nathans are pretty good. You could stop at Katz's Deli on the corner
of Houston and Ludlow Streets in Manhattan. Your chances of parking
are fair to good and the pastrami is legendary (but too rich for my
taste). I think the frankfurters are terrific.

If you take a ride on the ferry it isn't as long as some others have
said. Yes, they leave every half hour but the trip is 20 minutes with
a ten minute turnaround. Once the ferry leaves the dock the elapsed
time for a round trip is 50 minutes plus boarding and deboarding
times. You don't have to deboard at Staten Island. Stay at the aft
end on the trip out for the best views.

Any comments, directions, suggested routes, suggested streets to drive down,
places to park that are close by my desired destinations, and how drive to
Coney Island from Manhattan and then get back to Atlantic City would be
sincerely appreciated!!!

On weekdays stay away from 34 Street. The traffic is horrendous,
especially at 8th Avenue.

If you want to take a great drive, get on the West Side Highway
heading south to the Battery. That takes you to the SI Ferry. From
there head north up the FDR Drive to the Harlem River Drive all the
way to the end. Bear left and go across Dykman Street all the way to
Broadway where you will see a sign for the West Side Highway (or Henry
Hudson Parkway) heading downtown. If it's a nice day you will have
many eye-popping views. This is a world-class sunset drive and, of
course, is a loop so you can join it at any point. The key is to go
south when on the Hudson River and north when on the East River.

Brian Wickham

Old August 10th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Pan

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 04:12:23 GMT, Brian Wickham
wrote:

[snip]
If you take a ride on the ferry it isn't as long as some others have
said. Yes, they leave every half hour but the trip is 20 minutes with
a ten minute turnaround.

[snip]

25 minutes, I think.

I agree that trying to fit Coney Island into a day in Manhattan is
well-nigh impossible, but the way to get there would be by subway
(several lines; consult the subway map at www.mta.info).

For what it's worth, it's the general consensus on www.egullet.com
that Katz's serves the best pastrami in New York.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.