NYC Museums - entrance fees or donations?

Old August 11th, 2004, 02:21 AM
Eddie Type 2

Default NYC Museums - entrance fees or donations?

Hi all,

I noticed that some of the Museums in NYC have "suggested donation prices"
for entrance to them.

Does this mean that you could actually go in for free? not that I would,
but could someone explain how this works? Do you have to pay or not?

We want to visit the Museum of Natural History and the Rose Centre.....how
much should we expect to pay?

Thanks,

Eddie

Old August 11th, 2004, 03:13 AM
Gregory Morrow

Eddie Type 2 wrote:

Hi all,

I noticed that some of the Museums in NYC have "suggested donation prices"
for entrance to them.

Does this mean that you could actually go in for free? not that I would,
but could someone explain how this works? Do you have to pay or not?

We want to visit the Museum of Natural History and the Rose Centre.....how
much should we expect to pay?

You could pay nothing, a penny, or whatever you want, a hundred bux even if
you were feeling flush....

Check to see if a particular museum has a "free" day, with no suggested
admission...going on that day can assuage any guilt you have about not
wanting to pay full suggested admission prices - it's what I do :-)

--
Best
Greg

Old August 11th, 2004, 05:06 AM
Shawn Hearn

In article ,
"Eddie Type 2" wrote:

Hi all,

I noticed that some of the Museums in NYC have "suggested donation prices"
for entrance to them.

Does this mean that you could actually go in for free? not that I would,
but could someone explain how this works? Do you have to pay or not?

We want to visit the Museum of Natural History and the Rose Centre.....how
much should we expect to pay?

Most museums have a web site where you can find that info.
Just google for the museum of your choice and I am sure
you can find information on entry costs.

Old August 11th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Eddie Type 2

The American Museum of Natural History says $19 per Adult suggested
donation...........so does that mean I can go and pay only $10??? Will they
give me a hard time about it?

They also say that if I go to the skyshow at the planetarium, then all
entrance fees + show fees must be paid......so what the heck does that mean?

Eddie

"Gregory Morrow" wrote in
message link.net...

Old August 11th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Roger B.

"Eddie Type 2" wrote...
The American Museum of Natural History says $19 per Adult suggested
donation...........so does that mean I can go and pay only $10??? Will they
give me a hard time about it?
They also say that if I go to the skyshow at the planetarium, then all
entrance fees + show fees must be paid......so what the heck does that
mean?

Maybe that you won't be sold a ticket for the show, unless you've also
paid the regular entrance fee... which you should pay, unless you have
some special reason not-to, like you're living on the street, blind,
missing some limbs, and selling your blood for income. [R]

Old August 11th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Eddie Type 2

Thanks.........BTW, I wasn't looking for a free visit..............I just
wanted to understand what they meant by suggested donation...........

Eddie

"127.0.0.1" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 05:36:59 -0400, "Eddie Type 2"
wrote:

The American Museum of Natural History says $19 per Adult suggested
donation...........so does that mean I can go and pay only $10??? Will

they
give me a hard time about it?

pay as much as you wish means just that. no, they won't give you a
hard time if you pay only $1.

They also say that if I go to the skyshow at the planetarium, then all
entrance fees + show fees must be paid......so what the heck does that

mean?

the planetarium is separate from the museum and you have to pay their
set fees for visiting the planetarium

Old August 12th, 2004, 08:10 AM
I. Wilson Gittleman, M.D.

Most 'suggested' fees, in my opinion, are higher than they expect.

They DO expect you to pay something. I am fairly sure admittance would
not be allowed without 'some' payment -- of course, I am not sure.

I suggest you definitely PAY, but make the amount less than they ask,
but reasonable.

"Iti is better to be vaguely right than precisely wrong.
--J. M. Keynes

Old August 12th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Evelyn C. Leeper

I. Wilson Gittleman, M.D. wrote:

Most 'suggested' fees, in my opinion, are higher than they expect.

They DO expect you to pay something. I am fairly sure admittance would
not be allowed without 'some' payment -- of course, I am not sure.

I suggest you definitely PAY, but make the amount less than they ask,
but reasonable.

There was a time when the Met was some snarky about this. A friend (who
was a student at the time) went and handed over the suggested donation
for students. The woman asked to see his student ID, which he didn't
have and pointed out was not really needed, since these were suggested
donations. A small debate ensued.

The reason the museums do this, by the way, is that some of their
funding requires that they provide (near-)free admission, and this is a
way to get around that.

If I were going to see only one or two items, or spend less than an hour
in a museum, I might be tempted to pay less than the suggested
admission. (AT&T used to have a deal with some museums where they
donated a large chunk o' change in return for good wiil, and also for
their employees to be able to get in free. A friend really liked this,
because her mother lived near the Cloisters, and she could just "drop
in" for an hour or so. When all that ended, she stopped going, because
the admission charge was out of line with her usage.)

By the way, the suggested admission for the American Museum of Natural
History seems to be $12, not $19 as someone indicated. Given that a
movie in NYC these days is $10.50 or more, that's not *too* bad.

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
http://www.geocities.com/evelynleeper