Query on Glacier Express in Switzerland

Old August 13th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Billy

Default Query on Glacier Express in Switzerland

Hi All,
I am planning to make a trip on the Glacier Express from St. Moritz to
Zermatt in mid-September.
I would appreciate if someone can answer the following queries for me.

1. Is it necessary to make reservations well in advance for the trip.
Other than online where can I make the reservation for this?

2. Does the Swiss rail travel pass cover a trip on the Glacier express
or do we have to pay separately for this?

3. Apart from the Glacier Express I have read that there are other
trains which follow the same route. Is it advisable to take these?

Regards,
V.
Old August 13th, 2004, 03:42 PM
tobias b köhler

Billy schrieb:

1. Is it necessary to make reservations well in advance for the trip.
Other than online where can I make the reservation for this?

You must reserve, but you can do it up to one day before departure
(perhaps even on the same day?) at any swiss station that sells tickets.

2. Does the Swiss rail travel pass cover a trip on the Glacier express

Yes, but you have to pay reservation/supplement extra as far as I know.

Some of the Glacier Express have only 1st class (this means panorama
cars with airconditioning, windows can't be opened); for those you will
need a first class Swiss Pass.

3. Apart from the Glacier Express I have read that there are other
trains which follow the same route. Is it advisable to take these?

Sure - if they go when you like to go. They have the same scenery and no
supplement, and you will have to change trains usually in Brig,
Andermatt and Disentis. Often they are not as full .... they just take
longer.

See http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en? for timetables.

Old August 13th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Pierre Keller

Hello !

tobias b köhler a écrit:
1. Is it necessary to make reservations well in advance for the trip.
Other than online where can I make the reservation for this?

You must reserve, but you can do it up to one day before departure
(perhaps even on the same day?) at any swiss station that sells tickets.

AFAIK it is not mandatory to make a reservation. But if you don't,
there is the risk that there is no place for you in the train.

But yes you have to pay a supplement.

If you make a reservation, the supplement is included.

See http://www.sbb.ch/pv/sts-offer_e.htm
and http://www.sbb.ch/pv/files/sts-map.pdf (area of validity)

-- P. Keller

Old August 13th, 2004, 04:53 PM
JohnT

"Billy" wrote in message
m...
Hi All,
I am planning to make a trip on the Glacier Express from St. Moritz to
Zermatt in mid-September.
I would appreciate if someone can answer the following queries for me.

1. Is it necessary to make reservations well in advance for the trip.
Other than online where can I make the reservation for this?

You need seat reservations. In which Country do you live? (For example, if in
the UK you can make a booking with Switzerland Travel in London).

2. Does the Swiss rail travel pass cover a trip on the Glacier express
or do we have to pay separately for this?

Yes, but you need seat reservations which cost a few Francs extra.

3. Apart from the Glacier Express I have read that there are other
trains which follow the same route. Is it advisable to take these?

Not if you want to go without changing trains.

JohnT

Old August 14th, 2004, 01:17 AM
Martin Stock

http://www.glacierexpress.ch/

"Billy" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
m...
Hi All,
I am planning to make a trip on the Glacier Express from St. Moritz to
Zermatt in mid-September.
I would appreciate if someone can answer the following queries for me.

1. Is it necessary to make reservations well in advance for the trip.
Other than online where can I make the reservation for this?

e.g. Swiss railway stations
But I would do it online through the above link.
The capacity of this train is limited and mid-September is high season.

2. Does the Swiss rail travel pass cover a trip on the Glacier express
or do we have to pay separately for this?

Yes. But you have to pay a supplement (which includes seat reservation).
CHF 9,- or 12,- price depends on your travel date.

A leaflet what is covered by the Swiss Pass:
http://www.sbb.ch/pv/files/sts-map.pdf

3. Apart from the Glacier Express I have read that there are other
trains which follow the same route. Is it advisable to take these?

The Glacier Express has its own special route.
With other trains you need to change quite some times.
This is something else for some other scenic trains in Switzerland, where
the same route is served by others trains as well - just without panoramic
cars.

My opinion: if you cannot use one of the scenic trains for whatever reason,
the second best choice is to use a normal train.

Regards,
V.