Best guide book for NYC?

Old August 25th, 2004, 05:04 AM
RPS

Default Best guide book for NYC?

Is there a consensus on which guide book to New York City is the best
one for a medium term visitor: 12 weeks but intensely busy weekdays, so
we are looking at 8-10 weekeneds. I suppose that is equivalent to a 2-3
week tourist.
Old August 25th, 2004, 06:15 AM
Dennis McClendon

RPS wrote:

Is there a consensus on which guide book to New York City is the best

If I have to pick one, it would be the Eyewitness Travel Guide (the one
from DK with inordinately heavy paper). As an architecture buff, I
would also pack the AIA Guide to New York City. But in truth, I usually
go out wandering with nothing but a camera and a subway map.

Old August 25th, 2004, 07:58 AM
I. Wilson Gittleman, M.D.

Eyewitness.

"Iti is better to be vaguely right than precisely wrong.
--J. M. Keynes

Old August 25th, 2004, 07:58 AM
I. Wilson Gittleman, M.D.

Old August 25th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Shawn Hearn

In article , RPS
wrote:

Is there a consensus on which guide book to New York City is the best
one for a medium term visitor: 12 weeks but intensely busy weekdays, so
we are looking at 8-10 weekeneds. I suppose that is equivalent to a 2-3
week tourist.

Ask ten people, get ten answers. Best is a relative term. If you
have some time, go to a good bookstore and sit down there and
take a look at some of the travel guides. Then YOU can decide
which guide is "best" for you.

Old August 25th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Ann B.

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 04:04:23 GMT, RPS wrote:

Is there a consensus on which guide book to New York City is the best
one for a medium term visitor: 12 weeks but intensely busy weekdays, so
we are looking at 8-10 weekeneds. I suppose that is equivalent to a 2-3
week tourist.

You'll have plenty time to become familiar with the city and its
goings on. I'd recommend using the local sources such as Time Out New
York Magazine for cultural & recreational pursuits, reviews, etc. New
York Magazine can be another source for restaurants, 'in' places to
frequent, reviews, and of course the daily newspapers. The NY Times
on Friday and Sunday is especially good. Also - speak to your
colleagues who live here.

Things change quickly in NYC; I suspect that guidebooks written over a
year ago are not up to date anymore.

Enjoy your visit!

Cheers,
Ann

To email: replace 'REMOVE' with 'b' in email address.

Old August 25th, 2004, 05:21 PM

I. Wilson Gittleman, M.D. wrote:
Eyewitness.

Hi - I brought the Eyewitness guide with me, but the one I actually
found myself using while out on the street was a Michelin guide called
"New York City Must Sees". It is slim and easy to carry, and has
excellent maps that I could read even without my reading glasses.

The Eyewitness guide was great for bedtime reading and planning the next
day's visits, however.