Best guide book for NYC?

Old August 25th, 2004, 05:21 PM

I. Wilson Gittleman, M.D. wrote:
Eyewitness.

Hi - I brought the Eyewitness guide with me, but the one I actually
found myself using while out on the street was a Michelin guide called
"New York City Must Sees". It is slim and easy to carry, and has
excellent maps that I could read even without my reading glasses.

The Eyewitness guide was great for bedtime reading and planning the next
day's visits, however.

Old August 25th, 2004, 05:22 PM
B Vaughan

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 07:55:01 -0400, Shawn Hearn
wrote:

In article , RPS
wrote:

Is there a consensus on which guide book to New York City is the best
one for a medium term visitor: 12 weeks but intensely busy weekdays, so
we are looking at 8-10 weekeneds. I suppose that is equivalent to a 2-3
week tourist.

Ask ten people, get ten answers. Best is a relative term. If you
have some time, go to a good bookstore and sit down there and
take a look at some of the travel guides. Then YOU can decide
which guide is "best" for you.

Even better, go to the library, take out a few and read them at
leisure. Then when you decide which style you like best, go to a
bookstore and buy the latest edition of that guide, after skimming to
make sure they haven't totally changed their format.

Several people have mentioned Eyewitness. I find that guide to be
useful in planning a trip, because it has lots of detailed pictures.
However, in the cities where I have actually used it, I found it very
thin on details.

As a medium term visitor, you may already have lodging pinned down,
therefore a guidebook that has good information on hotels may not
interest you. On the other hand, good restaurant information may be
very important. Some guidebooks are very good on museums and
architectural wonders, but weak on parks and neighborhoods that are
nice for walks. You really have to find a guide that suits your
personality. Being one of the world's most important cities, New York
has a plethora of guide books, some very quirky. You may find
something like the "Guide to New York City subway stations" or the
"Cheese lover's guide to New York." If you find one that matches your
interests, this might be the right guide for you.

--------
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.

Old August 26th, 2004, 08:29 PM
harmony

stay away from new york. high crime, uncivilized people, overcrowded with
third world foreigners. AND they want arm and a leg for what passes for
luxury. it's not america out there. damn idiots.

Old August 27th, 2004, 04:01 PM
B Vaughan

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 14:29:20 -0500, "harmony" wrote:

stay away from new york. high crime, uncivilized people, overcrowded with
third world foreigners. AND they want arm and a leg for what passes for
luxury. it's not america out there. damn idiots.

Idiot yourself, New York has less crime than most other American
cities.
--------

Old September 6th, 2004, 11:43 PM
Pan

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 04:04:23 GMT, RPS wrote:

Is there a consensus on which guide book to New York City is the best
one for a medium term visitor: 12 weeks but intensely busy weekdays, so
we are looking at 8-10 weekeneds. I suppose that is equivalent to a 2-3
week tourist.

I agree with Ann that you may profit more from local sources than
guidebooks. The most famous sights are obvious and you don't need a
guidebook for them. For information about art shows, concerts, and the
like, you can look at the paper or online editions of the New York
Press, Village Voice, and New York Times, for example. For places to
eat, you can look at the New York forum of www.egullet.org. For
information about public transportation, go to www.mta.info.
Otherwise, just walk around, and for more information, Google or post
specific questions here.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.