Farting toy dog sends TSAs in action!

Old October 26th, 2003, 02:18 AM
AquaGuyLA

Default Farting toy dog sends TSAs in action!

Story at: http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_832215.html

Toy Dog Causes Stink At Airport

A novelty dog toy which breaks wind as it bends over has sparked a major
security alert at a US airport.

Page designer Dave Rogerson said he could not believe what was happening to him
when the life-size mechanical terrier set off an explosives detector at Norfolk
airport in Virginia.

Armed security staff sprang into action after something in the dog's "wind
breaking" mechanism apparently registered as the high explosive TNT on their
sensitive equipment.

Mr Rogerson, 31, from Leeds, was grilled by FBI agents and looked on in
amazement as they took a series of swabs from the replica animal's rear end.

They eventually returned the dog but stopped Mr Rogerson taking his planned
flight to Charlotte, North Carolina, and rerouted him via Philadelphia.

"They told me its was the highest reading they had for explosives and they took
it very seriously," said Mr Rogerson. "They were very jumpy and convinced
there was something explosive in the dog."

Mr Rogerson, who was heading home from the US when the incident happened
earlier this month, said he was not formally arrested but was held for a number
of hours for questioning.

He said the situation was made worse because he had placed his passport and
boarding card under the dog as it passed through the sensor machine.

When the agents demanded his papers he had to tell them they were in the
isolation zone around the dog.

Mr Rogerson said: "They were very, very serious. They weren't aggressive but I
got a real grilling.

"I couldn't believe where the FBI agents were putting their swabs. They must
have got whatever it was off the dog because they let me have it back."

Mr Rogerson said he has named the dog Norfolk, after the airport.

Story filed: 08:30 Saturday 25th October 2003
Old October 26th, 2003, 05:19 AM
Alan Erskine

If a toy dog gets that kind of reaction NO WAY am _I_ ever going near an
airport!

--
Alan Erskine
alanterskine(at)hotmail.com

Due to Optusnet's failure to deal with
the current virus SPAM attack, respond
to alanterskine(at)hotmail.com

Old October 28th, 2003, 02:21 AM
George Greene

AquaGuyLA wrote in message

"They told me its was the highest reading they had for explosives and they

took
it very seriously," said Mr Rogerson. "They were very jumpy and convinced
there was something explosive in the dog."

Mr Rogerson, who was heading home from the US when the incident happened
earlier this month, said he was not formally arrested but was held for a

number
of hours for questioning.

Barney Fife strikes again!

Old October 28th, 2003, 02:40 PM
DALing

insulting Barney Fife are we? (except that I wonder who actually WANTS a
farting dog toy)
"George Greene" wrote in message
. ..