Guinness Record on Miles Flown within ONE Year?

Old November 26th, 2003, 11:03 AM
Reef Fish

Default Guinness Record on Miles Flown within ONE Year?

On our way to Harrod's in London on a short bus hop, my wife sat next
to an Indian who wasted no time volunteering that he is flying between
London and India every other day, trying to establish a Guinness World
Record.

He apparently had already flown over one MILLION miles this year on BA
(my wife wasn't sure) and he said the airline had to change its computer
program to accommodate the 7-digit number.

Has anyone heard of that Guinness World Record? Is there an existing
one or is that Indian just trying for one? Apparently he has a family
in India and a business ini London. But still ... :-)

One ONLY has to fly 2 roundtrips of 10K miles each for 50 weeks to make
1,000,000 miles. I am waiting for a flight to HKG now. I can easily
make 2 roundtrips to HKG a week (if I am crazy enough G) and top TWO
million miles in one year.

My final question of curiosity is: has anyone in this ng ever flown more
than 1 million miles within ONE year?

-- Bob.
Old November 26th, 2003, 02:17 PM
Jeff G

On 26 Nov 2003 03:03:42 -0800, (Reef
Fish) wrote:

[...]

I suspect that the guy who was on Mir for something like 4 years takes
the prize as the most traveled man ever. He hit his first million
miles after 40 hours. 219 million miles per year. It's more of an
"achievement" than someone who merely sits in an airline passenger
seat for that long. It seems not so much a test of endurance as
abject stupidity. What's the point?

Old November 26th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Kenny McCormack

In article ,
Jeff G wrote:
I suspect that the guy who was on Mir for something like 4 years takes
the prize as the most traveled man ever. He hit his first million
miles after 40 hours. 219 million miles per year.

Actually, I am travelling at 12 miles/sec as I sit and type this.
So, every day I'm getting 1036800 FFMs.

Just out of curiosity, how did you calculate the 219million/year figure?

It's more of an "achievement" than someone who merely sits in an airline
passenger seat for that long. It seems not so much a test of endurance as
abject stupidity. What's the point?

You got that right. This is the sort of thing that would appeal only to an
Indian or a reef fish.

I wouldn't call reef fish a troll, because I think he is sincere, but his
stuff does make you realize just how nice it is not to have a real life.

And I am being sincere when I say that (seriously!)

Old November 26th, 2003, 08:38 PM
Rupert

would have thought airline pilots and air crews would have done more, as for
needing to change their computer systems to handle it, i don't think so many
people have million plus balances in their accounts.

om...

Old November 27th, 2003, 04:24 AM
Jeff G

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 09:38:44 +1300, "Rupert"
wrote:

would have thought airline pilots and air crews would have done more, as for
needing to change their computer systems to handle it, i don't think so many
people have million plus balances in their accounts.

Even (jet) airline pilots don't fly more than 300,000 to 500,000 miles
a year. Slower planes cover even less distance.

. com...

Old November 27th, 2003, 02:05 PM
gerald

And I would think there to be quite a few. Certainl enough for
airlines to have to look at 7 significient figures.

LH gives 375% of actual miles for first class, and there are a number
of people who commute weekly on 8-15,000 mile trips in F.

That is a yearly accumulation of arond 2 million miles.

Old November 28th, 2003, 01:09 AM
Reef Fish

Jeff G wrote in message . ..
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 18:57:16 GMT, (Kenny
McCormack) wrote:

Actually, I am travelling at 12 miles/sec as I sit and type this.
So, every day I'm getting 1036800 FFMs.

Just out of curiosity, how did you calculate the 219million/year figure?

I goofed. Should have been 146 million/yr. One low orbit covers
about 25000 miles (actually more like 26000 miles, but I was
conservative), accomplished every 90 minutes (that's the part I
goofed).

So THAT's what it was. A Man doing something that an Ape could do, only
not as well as the Ape. :-)

Of course he has no conception about what constitutes a FFM given by
the airline, but what the heck, this IS a usenet ng. People who post
in it seldom know what he's talking about.

I wouldn't call reef fish a troll, because I think he is sincere, but his
stuff does make you realize just how nice it is not to have a real life.

And I am being sincere when I say that (seriously!)

And I am sincere about an Ape being able to do a better job that some
of those fellas up there.

The early breakfast the day AFTER Thanksgiving at the Conrad HK was good!
If it weren't "free", it would have cost me HK$480 which I had to sign to
my room to make it zero. I'll know soon how many USD that breakfast cost
in USD, but I know for sure that it tastes better than the recycled
pee (and you know whats) the Space Apes drink. :-)) NASA even offer
that stuff in Huntsville AL for tourists to taste.

-- Bob.