recommended car rental agencies in NZ?

Old May 1st, 2005, 08:06 PM
Ralph Holz

Hi,

grayseal wrote:

Their policy was to charge you up to 1000 NZD if it was you who caused any
damage to the car, above that you were covered (this didn't refer to third

Is that the one where you can reduce your excess by paying an extra NZD/day?

Nope, most agencies have that policy, but the one I used did not.

Since it's an older car, is any previous damage listed somewhere? Or do you
just have to take some pictures of the car before taking off?

Should not be necessary as they do write down all visible damage before you sign
the contract. And you can point out anything you notice and ask them to put that
down, too. Of course, if a photo makes you feel more secure, go ahead.

Ralph

--
For contact details, please see www.ralphholz.de.
Old May 1st, 2005, 08:07 PM
Ralph Holz

Hi,

A Mate wrote:
Normally the only 'road' banned is the Ninety Mile Beach (which, perversely,
in true NZ fashion) is a gazetted 'highway'! The Milford Sound road is a
fully sealed, very well engineered and fairly busy highway - can't imagine
any sane operator forbidding its use!

Yeah, I was surprised, too, but it referred explicitly to that road. I thought,
maybe in winter it can be a bit more dangerous, but still...

Ralph

--
For contact details, please see www.ralphholz.de.

Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:21 AM
Terry Simmons

In article ,
BrianE wrote:

shakefly wrote:
just came back from NZ.
i used ezy rental.
i compared a few companies, and ezy quoted the best price.
hassle free and responsive service.
cars are not great (i got a late 90s nisssan pulsar automatic), but does the
job.

Yes I can endorse this. Ezy were good and reliable, we hired a peple
carrier - Toyota Previa - and it was very good value imho. The only
thing was it was a bit thirsty and must have been around seven years
old. It had obviously been well serviced and cleaned though.

NZ is great, we just 'did' the Southlands - Queenstown, Milford Sound,
Lake Wanaka, Te Anau etc.

For golfers, Arrowtown GC is a gem.

B.

Based on my own recent experience with the hire company "About New Zealand", I
would avoid them like the plague.

--
Cheers!

Terry
Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:23 PM
grayseal

Nope, most agencies have that policy, but the one I used did not.

Should not be necessary as they do write down all visible damage before

you sign
the contract. And you can point out anything you notice and ask them to

put that
down, too. Of course, if a photo makes you feel more secure, go ahead.

thank you very much

gratienne