Calling card frustrations

Old January 23rd, 2004, 06:50 AM
Hallvard Tangeraas

Default Calling card frustrations

I'm very confused about these calling cards you buy at convenient
stores to be able to call cheaply overseas.

I had one in Sydney which I paid $10 for, and spoke for almost 5 hours
or something to Norway!!! Can't remember the name of it right now, but
it cost 1.8c/minute. I have another one now which cost the same, and
also operated with the same rates, and I tried calling home via a
public payphone.

The first problem was that I kept being disconnected from the phone,
so I'm wondering if there isn't a local rate for calling up that phone
card company after all like I've been told (I used the "Gold coast"
access number since I'm in Rainbow beach, and included the "07" in
front).

Then, when I finally got through (after having wasted lots of coins
for nothing, when I finally found that I could use a 1800 number as
well, but with a surcharge) I was only able to speak for about 5-10
minutes, and I had $8 to begin with!!!!!

What gives?
I'm confused. Which card should I get? Which one actually works
properly and gives most value for money, and how should I use it?

Hallvard
Old January 23rd, 2004, 01:28 PM
Dave Campbell

"Hallvard Tangeraas" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Ideally, your card needs to have a local access number for whatever location
you're calling from. Once you get out of the capital cities, your choices
become somewhat limited. Some cards also offer a 1300 number which will cost
you 40c (I think, standard local call rate anyway) from anywhere in
Australia and may attract less of a surcharge than a 1800 (free call)
number. Rates and surcharges seem to vary widely. Some cards also charge a
connection fee on top of the coins you have to use to dial in, so they don't
work out so well if you make several short calls. A partial list of cards
and call rates is available from
http://www.ozprepaidcards.com.au/default.asp (seems to be a reasonable
reference site, regardless of whether you buy from them - without an Oz
address buying might not be practical anyway) which may help you choose a
card that works in your area.

Dave Campbell

Old January 24th, 2004, 04:57 AM
Julie

"Dave Campbell" wrote in message

[...]

I've used the "Say g'day" Card from public phones with no problems at all.
It is a 1300 number.

Julie

Old January 24th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Jason

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 15:57:52 +1100, Julie wrote:

I've used the "Say g'day" Card from public phones with no problems at all.
It is a 1300 number.

I think that was the one I used. If it was, the lines to the UK were often
engaged on a Sunday evening and it cost you 35 cents a time to be told this.

Jason

--
See http://www.scuba-addict.co.uk/ for trip reports including
the Costa Blanca, Gibraltar, Gran Canaria and the UK

Old May 12th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Mitho Mitho is offline
Member

Smile

I’m visiting Sydney too, I was very confuse which Prepaid phone card should I buy I use Google search find couple of site who sell phone cards, they all takes credit card but I found www.abtcom.com.au, who using PayPal. So it’s very easy for me to pay them for the card, coz I have PayPal account, if you don't have paypal account u can use your credit card. Not only that they have the cheapest price giving 15% discount from market price (for all).

So if you traveling you may look at this site. You also can compare the rate.

Its http://www.abtcom.com.au/

they also have instraction of use for the particular card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallvard Tangeraas