Camera shopping in Bangkok

Old January 19th, 2006, 04:49 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

Default Camera shopping in Bangkok

Hi all,

I'm leaving in a few days for a backpacking trip through Thailand and
need a new digital camcorder. There are a number of great camers I can
buy here in Ottawa Canada, but wonder if there would be big savings by
waiting and buying it in Bangkok when we land. Does anyone have any
experience buying camcorders in Bangkok?

Cheers,

Gordo

Old January 19th, 2006, 05:15 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

Gordo wrote:
Hi all,

I'm leaving in a few days for a backpacking trip through Thailand and
need a new digital camcorder. There are a number of great camers I can
buy here in Ottawa Canada, but wonder if there would be big savings by
waiting and buying it in Bangkok when we land. Does anyone have any
experience buying camcorders in Bangkok?

You won't find big savings on name brand cameras in Bangkok, or
anywhere in Asia, for that matter. Prices are slightly higher,
actually, and you won't get a warrantly good in Canada. Off brands you
can save some money, but the warranty will be worthless once you get
home.

If you trip has a stop in the US you might want to buy there to avoid
the GST.

Larry

Old January 19th, 2006, 05:27 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

Gordo wrote:

Hi all,

I'm leaving in a few days for a backpacking trip through Thailand and
need a new digital camcorder. There are a number of great camers I can
buy here in Ottawa Canada, but wonder if there would be big savings by
waiting and buying it in Bangkok when we land. Does anyone have any
experience buying camcorders in Bangkok?

Cheers,

Gordo

buy one at home there are no big savings , and no guarentee when you go
home if things go wrong...

Old January 19th, 2006, 09:25 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

Gordo

Contrary to the others' advice, I live in Philppines and have travelled
to Thailand often. I have purchased several items at Pantip Plaza in
Bangkok. Prices are great! It is a 6 floor guy's heaven......all of our
e toys.

If interested, I can give you more info.

Old January 20th, 2006, 12:08 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

Prices are usually higher than discount outlets at home - and you'll not get
an 'at home' warranty - even in Panthip Plaza.

Plus - there's the real possibility of ending up with 'grey' merchandise, or
worse - cheap Chinese copy cameras - they exist!

oups.com...

Old January 20th, 2006, 02:07 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

its cheaper in western countries (mostly)

u can get it cheap in hongkong and singapore (depends)

i love those direct dvd recording camcorders