Recommendations for trekking (Chiang Mai)

Old March 17th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Phil C

Default Recommendations for trekking (Chiang Mai)

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good guide/operator in Chiang Mai or
surrounding area for April? I could also do with an idea of what it
will be best to pack into the rucksack for a three week trip in the
north and south of the country. Specifically for footwear (I have
decided to get a couple of running t-shirts made from
Clima-cool/DryFlo materials).

Many thanks,

Phil.
Old March 18th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Larry

Be very cautious about trekking in the forested areas of Thailand, where
malaria is prevalent. The mosquitos bite at night, so be sure to take some
long-sleeved shirts.

I once met a British physician practising in Bangkok who said he would only go
into that region "on business."

Larry in Istanbul (seaotter 6 at a o l dot c o m)(no spaces in address)
Old March 23rd, 2004, 01:17 AM
Mr. Free Notes

Some information on trekking (Elephant Trail) at: http://www.knapsack.net/

Sincerely,
CKLee
http://www.knowledge-sharing.com/
http://www.thelinksociety.com/

m...

Old March 23rd, 2004, 09:12 PM
USC

Can anyone recommend a good guide/operator in Chiang Mai or
surrounding area for April?...Specifically for footwear...

I did a two-day trek southwest of Chiang Mai through Top North Tours
that was nice. Top North Hotel on Moon Muang Road in Chiang Mai (near
the moat and one of the old city gates) has a Top North Tours office
in their lobby. They also offer a three-day trek, which follows the
same route as the first day of the two-day, then continues on as the
two-dayers head back to the starting point via a different route;
there are also two-day and three-day treks outside of the Chiang Rai
area available out of Chiang Mai, though a portion of the first/last
day would be devoted to the drive between Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai
(which is very scenic, and includes a stop at some hot springs.) Top
North also has a one-day road trip from Chiang Mai to the hot sping,
an Akha hill tribe village outside Chiang Rai, Chiang Saen, Mae Sai
and the Golden Triangle, with a quick fastboat trip across the Mekong
River into Laos, in addition to a .5-day trip to the mountaintop Doi
Suthep temple and a Hmong hill tribe village. My trek included 1.5
hours on elephant back, 18 km of hiking through jungle and rice paddys
over two days, an overnight stay in a Skor Karen hill tribe village,
and 1 hour on bamboo raft. I had hiking boots for the trek, though
most people in the ten-person group had athletic/walking shoes, with
two having rubber sandals/thongs. I really enjoyed northern Thailand
and plan on going back around December after spending some time in
Burma. Have fun.

USC