Day trips from Rome?

Old October 30th, 2003, 01:55 AM
KeybdWizrd

Default Day trips from Rome?

I am looking for suggestions as to companies that provide half- and full-day
excursions from Rome. I am taking my family to Rome for a week next spring,
but we'd like to take a trip or two to other areas. For example, we'd like to
take a day trip down the coast, visiting Pompeii and Capri. It'd be especially
helpful if someone could point me to a web page that has links to a number of
such outfits... I haven't been able to find much after a fair amount of
searching. Thanks in advance for any help.

MW
Old October 30th, 2003, 02:08 AM
Joe Pessarra

"KeybdWizrd" wrote in message
I am looking for suggestions as to companies that provide half- and

full-day
excursions from Rome.

For example, we'd like to
take a day trip down the coast, visiting Pompeii and Capri. It'd be

especially
helpful if someone could point me to a web page that has links to a number

of
such outfits

An Internet search for Rome+Pompeii+tour will get you over 16,000 sites to
look at.

Here is one - http://www.benvenutolimos.com/

Another - http://www.italytour.ws/

Good luck,

Joe in Texas

Old October 30th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Chessie

Another wonderful daytrip from Rome is Orvieto. Don't need a tour
company for this...(if you have a guidebook) just take a train from
Termini in Rome. Orvieto is on the line that goes on to Florence, so
there are very regular trains. Takes just over an hour. Lovely town
on top of a plateau. Be sure to see the cathedral facade in the
afternoon sun...one of the loveliest sights in Italy. And the
cathedral is a treasure, beautifully preserved. There is just
enough to do for an easy daytrip.

Pompeii and Capri are both wonderful. But it strikes me that that is
alot to do in one day. You would enjoy it more if it was possible to
stay overnight...perhaps in Sorrento?
That way you might be able to squeeze Herculaneum in as well.

There is just so much to do in Italy...

Old October 30th, 2003, 09:09 AM
Giovanni Drogo

On 30 Oct 2003, KeybdWizrd wrote:

I am looking for suggestions as to companies that provide half- and full-day
excursions from Rome.

Go on your own to places like Tivoli (train or bus from Rome), Villa
Adriana (bus from Tivoli or Rome), Palestrina, Anagni, the volcanic
lakes in the Castelli area, or north up to Viterbo, Tuscania or
Tarquinia, Cerveteri along the coast. Apply to the public tourist office
in Rome for helps about using public transport.

is a newsreading account used by more persons to

Old October 30th, 2003, 09:47 AM
[ B r a q u e ]

I suggest Viterbo!
That's where I live!

From Rome take the "Trenino (Small train) from piazzale Flaminio.
The trip is slow and marvelous...
You'll be able to see from the train, all the countryside around Rome, the
small rocky canyons around Civita Castellana, the Monte Cimino (A small
mountain covered with chestnut trees...), the faboulous Villa Lante's
gardens of Bagnaia and you'll arrive in medieval Viterbo in about 2h. I
advise you to take the old blue trains (there is also the more rapid and
modern white and green trains but they have small windows and iron bars to
prevent travellers to lean out of the windows...). The blue ones are old and
sometimes not so clean on the outside, but they have large windows, and the
inside is made of wood!!
Once in Viterbo there's the medieval centre that is so different from Rome
and other cities around.
Several museums (Medieval art, Etruscan art), very ancient churches (some of
them are as old as year 1000 - 1200), and a nice historical centre in wich
you can calmly stroll with your family.
Don't forget to taste the local wine ("est est est") and to eat in the small
but nice "hosteria dell'archetto" located in Via Saffi. The place is small
but the cooking is excellent and really homemade!

Bye and Bon Voyage!
Braque
ps: if you decide to come let me know... we might met!

Old October 30th, 2003, 09:59 AM
Margaret Coffin

On 30 Oct 2003 01:55:40 GMT, zzzzz (KeybdWizrd)
wrote:

I am looking for suggestions as to companies that provide half- and full-day
excursions from Rome. I am taking my family to Rome for a week next spring,
but we'd like to take a trip or two to other areas. For example, we'd like to
take a day trip down the coast, visiting Pompeii and Capri. It'd be especially
helpful if someone could point me to a web page that has links to a number of
such outfits... I haven't been able to find much after a fair amount of
searching. Thanks in advance for any help.

MW

The main company in Rome for coach tours is Appian Line, which is
connected with Gray Line Worldwide (
www.grayline.com and
www.appianline.it). There are others, but they all offer the same
tours at the same prices and I think they exchange clients.

You won't get to see Pompeii and Capri in one day from Rome. There is
a one-day tour covering either Pompeii and Sorrento or Capri alone,
and a 2- or 3-day tour including all three. They also do trips to
Assisi and Florence.

However, I do not advocate these tours. You waste a lot of time
stopping off at outlets, where the tour guides get commission on
sales, and you're taken to mediocre restaurants for the same reason.
They are also pretty expensive.

You can much better do the trips on your own, though I would suggest
that you stay a couple of nights in Naples or Sorrento and do day
trips to Capri and Pompeii from there. This would also give you a
chance to see the archeological museum in Naples, which houses most of
the most important artworks found in the Pompeii excavations.

If this is not an option (e.g. because you are booking an apartment in
Rome for the whole week), Ostia Antica would be an excellent
substitute for Pompeii. (I actually like it better.) You can get a
glimpse at www.inforoma.it/tours/toura105.htm. Alternatively, you
could go to Pompei independently by train: the station is near the
site.

Margaret Coffin
InfoRoma - The Rome Experts
Custom sightseeing itineraries for independent travelers
www.inforoma.it/inforoma.htm
Old October 30th, 2003, 12:04 PM
David Horne

Valter Minute wrote:

Pompei is over 250Km from rome, and you'll spend a lot of time on a
bus or on a train.

Oh, I don't know about that. Rome to Pompeii, including the change to a
local train at Naples, is about 2 and a half hours total, if you take
the Eurostar (which isn't cheap- maybe that's not an issue.)

I admit, there are closer daytrips, but that journey time makes it
practical in my opinion. Indeed, if the traveller wasn't considering a
trip to the Naples area anyway, it would be a good option.

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.co.uk
davidhorne (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk