Tipping in USA/Canada

Old November 14th, 2007, 08:52 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Stephen Farrow

Default Tipping in USA/Canada

PTravel wrote:

"Stephen Farrow" wrote in message
PTravel wrote:

I've posted these before, but I'll do it again. There are three
rules I follow when I travel internationally (and I've been traveling
much longer than you and to far more places):

1. Always remember you're a guest in someone else's country. Act
like a guest and respect the customs, preferences and practices of
your hosts.

2. If in doubt, ask rather than assume -- I'd rather appear naive
than rude and offensive.

3. Err on the side of generosity -- it is better to pay too much
than too little, tip high rather than low, etc.

You've violated all three rules and, as a result, you've already
offended a number of Americans and you haven't even gotten here yet.

I basically follow those three rules when I travel - but I will say
that, as an Englishman who's travelled extensively in the USA and who
has spent much of the last decade living in Canada, the one
circumstance in which I *won't* tip is if some waiter hears my English
accent and takes it upon himself to explain to me that in North
America it's customary to leave a tip.

Nor should you tip under such a circumstance. When I travel
internationally, I never mind when someone offers advice out of
altruism. When it's solely proferred for their own benefit, however,
it's another story altogether. In fact, now that I think about it, I
feel the same way when it happens at home as well.

I absolutely understand that employees in jobs where tipping is
involved are poorly paid and depend on tips for part of their
livelihood, I've spent long enough in North America that I don't find
tipping remotely embarrassing, and in a restaurant in North America I
fully expect to tip 15-20% - but at the same time, tipping is still,
theoretically, discretionary, and I don't appreciate being patronised.

It's not only patronizing, it's rude as it assumes that the foreign
visitor hasn't made the least effort to learn about the culture.

And in those circumstances - this has happened to me a few times over
the years - not only do I not tip, I usually seek out the manager and
tell him/her *exactly* why I'm not leaving a tip.

--

Stephen

I know all the games... pin the thing on the thing... pass the thing...
Old November 14th, 2007, 09:22 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Qanset

Newby wrote:

"Qanset" wrote in message
u...
DaveM wrote:
On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 21:29:14 +1100, Qanset wrote:

The wife and I are planning at trip to USA/Canada in the near future.
Is it true that the Yanks are really hung up on tipping, and that
FORGETTING to tip someone is courting disaster???

Like most tourists we will be traveling on a limited budget,this means
that anybody expecting free money from us will be advised to look

elsewhere.

A colleague of mine who honeymooned in Hawaii was told by a tour bus
operator, that he EXPECTED gratuities for his efforts, because his job
was poorly paid. What more can I say.???

[snipped]

What does a tour guide, or taxi driver, do that suggests he/she should get a
tip?

How would I know. Why dont you ask them yourself.???

Old November 14th, 2007, 09:24 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Qanset

"Dennis P. Harris" wrote:

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 21:29:14 +1100 in rec.travel.air, Qanset
wrote:

I'm going to cop a lot of flak on this subject, but never mind I have
and open mind on accepting advice on World Travel.

if you have an open mind, the usual gratuity for good service is
15 per cent of the tab. it does not apply in fast food places
where you take your own food to the table.

i understand it does not apply down under, but it does in the
americas and europe, so you should get used to it, or expect to
get poor service and the worst table in the place.

when in rome, do as the romans do, and budget for it.

I was in Rome a few months ago. I tipped some Roman warriors at the
Colosseum for posing with me in a photo.
Incidentally out Trafalgar Tour Guide hardly touched on the subject of
tipping.

Old November 14th, 2007, 09:27 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Qanset

Craig Welch wrote:

Qanset said:

Craig Welch wrote:
Qanset said:

Here in Aus, tips are appreciated, NOT expected. I worked part time
as a barman and other times as a taxi driver. Tips were few and far
between. Thats our culture, its what were used to.

I've also worked drinks. I can only assume that I was better at it
than you.

On what evidence to base that assumption. Most of my customers were
hoons and yobbo's at the SCG or SFS

You've just proved my assumption correct.

I dont think so craigy boy. Are you still in the Railways???

--
Craig http://www.wazu.jp/
1,239 Unicode fonts for 82 written language groups:

Old November 14th, 2007, 09:30 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Qanset

Craig Welch wrote:

Qanset said:

Bit late for that, I was there 20 years ago. I saw a peurto rican
waitress get hostile because a British Visitor forgot to leave her a tip
on the table. Her conduct was absolutely disgraceful.

How did you know her nationality? Did she have a badge?

What difference does it make about her nationality. ???? It was only
expressed
as a simple comment.

Old November 14th, 2007, 09:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Qanset

mrtravel wrote:

Qanset wrote:

DaveM wrote:

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 23:45:15 +1100, Qanset wrote:

Craig Welch wrote:

Qanset said:

Bit late for that, I was there 20 years ago. I saw a peurto rican
waitress get hostile because a British Visitor forgot to leave her
a tip
on the table. Her conduct was absolutely disgraceful.

How did you know her nationality? Did she have a badge?

No she didnt stupid.

You missed a trick. I've seen more than one establishment in Vegas
where the
staff name badges included the state or country of origin. Or was the
"stupid" epithet self-deprecatory?

DaveM

Either way, I couldnt give a dam. Your remarks are merely digressing
from the original topic.

Did you mean "damn", or are you just saying you don't have any dams to
give away?

Thats a good play on words.

Old November 14th, 2007, 09:34 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Qanset

mrtravel wrote:

Craig Welch wrote:

Qanset said:

Bit late for that, I was there 20 years ago. I saw a peurto rican
waitress get hostile because a British Visitor forgot to leave her a tip
on the table. Her conduct was absolutely disgraceful.

How did you know her nationality? Did she have a badge?

People of all nationalities exhibit bad behavior. Why did you single out
her as a "peurto rican"?

She was'nt singled out because of her nationality. Her ethnic background
was mentioned to me by a fellow diner.
Your question digresses from the original topic.

In any case, was she hovering over the table waiting for a tip?

I am generally long gone before my few cents is discovered for bad
service. For bad service, tip a few cents, so they don't think you
forgot to leave a tip.