How are gasoline prices in Canada quoted?

Old March 27th, 2008, 11:21 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

Default How are gasoline prices in Canada quoted?

"Graz" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 07:50:26 GMT, "sharx35"
wrote:

"Graz" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 19:37:58 -0400, Mike from Ottawa mev at tikaCANOE
dot ca wrote:

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 22:46:31 GMT, (Graz) wrote:

Hi all,
Looking at a website such as
www.torontogasprices.com, it's not
immediately clear how the prices are quoted. Am I right in thinking
that it's Canadian cents/litre? And if so, are prices generally
cheaper just over the US border?
thanks

It's cents/L. E.g., 105.9 is $1.059 per litre.

Prices have always tended to be cheaper on the US side. Taxes are
gouged at different rates in each province. E.g., Quebec's fuel taxes
are higher than Ontario's. Given the increased security & huge
line-ups to cross the border, it's up to you to determine if it's
worth the wait, or see if you can go across in an off-peak time.

It's still cheaper than in Europe, but we're getting closer.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_can_gastemperaturemap.aspx shows the prices
around Canada & also in the US.

A US gallon is about 3.8 L.

Thanks all. What I found particularly confusing was several
comparison websites showing US and Canadian prices - one set in US$
per gallon and the other as stated above.

Don't forget that the U.S. dollar and the Canadian dollar are NOT exactly
the same--CDN dollar is currently trading just over 98 cents US. Also, the
U.S. gallon is equal to just UNDER 4 litres while the CDN gallon is
approx.
4.54 litres. To further confuse matters, the U.S. gallon has 128 U.S.
ounces while the Canadian gallon has 160 IMPERIAL ounces. In other words
the
U.S. ounce is a tiny amount LARGER than the Imperial ounce, while the
Imperial (CDN) gallon is substantially larger than the U.S. gallon. Pity!!

I always thought a fluid ounce was a fluid ounce, but it appears you
are correct: 1 US fluid ounce = 1.041 British (and presumably
Canadian) fluid ounces.

This makes a strong case for having metric....everywhere.

Old March 28th, 2008, 01:07 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

dot ca wrote:

[...]

Which weighs more? A pound of gold or a pound of feathers?

Old March 28th, 2008, 04:15 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"Calif Bill" wrote in message

"Graz" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 07:50:26 GMT, "sharx35"
wrote:

.. .
dot ca wrote:

[...]

A pound of feathers, I do believe. Something about gold being weighed in the
troy system and feathers, the avoirdupois?? Troy pound vs usual pound?? 14
oz versus 16????

Old March 28th, 2008, 05:33 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mike from Ottawa[_2_]

wrote:

"Graz" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 19:37:58 -0400, Mike from Ottawa mev at tikaCANOE
dot ca wrote:

snip
A US gallon is about 3.8 L.

Thanks all. What I found particularly confusing was several
comparison websites showing US and Canadian prices - one set in US$
per gallon and the other as stated above.

Don't forget that the U.S. dollar and the Canadian dollar are NOT exactly
the same--CDN dollar is currently trading just over 98 cents US. Also, the
U.S. gallon is equal to just UNDER 4 litres while the CDN gallon is approx.
4.54 litres. To further confuse matters, the U.S. gallon has 128 U.S.
ounces while the Canadian gallon has 160 IMPERIAL ounces. In other words the
U.S. ounce is a tiny amount LARGER than the Imperial ounce, while the
Imperial (CDN) gallon is substantially larger than the U.S. gallon. Pity!!

The Canadian dollar was recently valued more than the US dollar,
although you always have to realise that the true buy/sell value is
different since profit is built into the transactions. If oil spikes,
our dollar also tends to rise. It's easiest to just consider them at
par for the moment.

Canada no longer uses ounces, gallons, or any other Imperial
measurements of volume. It's all litres, mL, etc.

Canada went Metric, but only half-way. We're totally converted in
volume and temperature (Celcius), but length is still mostly in feet
and inches, although highway distances and speeds are in kilometres.
Stupid really, but a reality when we trade a lot with the US, and when
all older homes are non-Metric.

Old March 28th, 2008, 05:56 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

"sharx35" wrote in message

"Calif Bill" wrote in message

"Graz" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 07:50:26 GMT, "sharx35"
wrote:

. ..
dot ca wrote:

[...]

Yup, and the ounces are different also. Avoidupois is the other weight
system..

Old March 29th, 2008, 02:46 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

On 2008-03-27 19:21:05 -0400, "sharx35" said:

This makes a strong case for having metric....everywhere.

For once I agree with you, Sharx.

The US was supposed to convert to Metric along with everyone else back
in the late 70s. Like many other international agreements, they backed
out of it.

Old March 29th, 2008, 03:24 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_2_]

On 2008-03-27 19:21:05 -0400, "sharx35"
said:

This makes a strong case for having metric....everywhere.

For once I agree with you, Sharx.

The US was supposed to convert to Metric along with everyone
else back
in the late 70s. Like many other international agreements,
they backed
out of it.

Typical simplistic, inaccurate anti-American nonsense! Jimmy the
Unready did try but, like a lot of his efforts, it failed. The
metric system has been *legal* in the US for more than 100 years
but conservatism has always prevailed. The only place I've ever
seen a US speed limit in km is on the grounds of NIST.

--
Jim Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old March 29th, 2008, 06:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graz

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 23:21:05 GMT, "sharx35"
wrote:

"Graz" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 07:50:26 GMT, "sharx35"
wrote:

.. .
dot ca wrote:

[...]

Whatever you do, avoid a mixed system such as the UK has - distances
in miles, gasoline in litres, beer in pints etc etc.

Old March 29th, 2008, 06:37 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

James Silverton wrote:

The US was supposed to convert to Metric along with everyone
else back
in the late 70s. Like many other international agreements,
they backed
out of it.

Typical simplistic, inaccurate anti-American nonsense! Jimmy the
Unready did try but, like a lot of his efforts, it failed. The
metric system has been *legal* in the US for more than 100 years
but conservatism has always prevailed. The only place I've ever
seen a US speed limit in km is on the grounds of NIST.

Of course it is simplistic. The fact is that the US had planned to go
metric along with the rest of the world, but it backed out. It was the
Reagan administration that cut the funding for the Metric Board. As for
it being anti American, it is typical of American action on the
international level. The US has a long list of agreements on which it
backed out. Look at the Treaty of Versailles for instance. The US,
despite having avoided involvement for most of the conflict, had an
inordinate amount of influence on the drafting of the treaty, but then
failed to ratify it. More recently it has backed on on a lot of
commitments to which it had been a party:

Ottawa Treaty (the land-mine ban)
Treaty on the Rights of the Child (only holdouts are the U.S. and
Somalia)
Protocol to enforce the 1972 Biological Weapons Convention (vote was
178-1, the US the only holdout)
United Nations Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of
Discrimination Against Women
International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights
Convention on Biological Diversity
International Convention on the Protection of the Rights of All Migrant
Workers and Members of Their Families
Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs)
International Convention for the Suppression of Terrorist Bombings
International Convention for the Suppression of the Financing of
Terrorism.
Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees
Convention on the Non-Applicability of Statutory Limitations to War
Crimes Against Humanity
Forced Labor Convention
Freedom of Association and Protection of the Right to Organize
Convention
Right to Organize and Collective Bargaining Convention
Convention on Consent to Marriage, Minimum Age to Marriage and
Registration of Marriages
Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Convention on the International Right of Correction
International Criminal Court
Kyoto Accords (greenhouse gas reductions)
UN Convention on Biological Diversity (regulating genetic engineering)
UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty [prohibiting programs like "Stars Wars"]
Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous
Wastes and their Disposal
Convention on the Protection and Use of Transboundary Watercourses and
International Lakes
International Convention against the Recruitment, Use, Financing and
Training of Mercenaries
International Convention on the Suppression and Punishment of the Crime
of Apartheid
Convention concerning Minimum Age for Admission to Employment
Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties
Code of Conduct on Arms Transfers (prohibiting sale of arms to human
rights violators & aggressors)
Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty
Inter-American Convention Against the Illicit Manufacturing of and
Trafficking in Firearms, Ammunition, and Other Related Materials
UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (bans toxic waste dumping, etc.)
UN Moon Treaty [declaring the moon part of the Common Heritage of
Mankind]
Framework Convention on Tobacco Control
UN Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide
Protocol to enforce the Convention Against Torture
United Nations Convention against Transnational Organized Crime

http://vote.org/treaties

Old March 29th, 2008, 07:26 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
J. Clarke[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

It beats the mixed system Quebec has--tourists in English, stop signs
in French . . .

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)