Are Electronics Cheaper in AUS or NZ

Old April 24th, 2004, 07:32 AM
Luke Hall

Default Are Electronics Cheaper in AUS or NZ

Hello,
I am currently in Brisbane but am flying to Christchurch/NZ next
month.
I need to buy a new mini-disc player (walkman) but the prices in
Australia seam to be rather expensive. Someone told me that NZ has a
very low tax rate on electronics. Is this true? and can i expect to
find a mini-disk player at a much cheaper price when i get to
christchurch in May.

Thankyou

-Luke
Old April 24th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Peter Webb

The only tax in Oz on minidisc players is the 10% GST, and if the unit costs
more than $300 and you keep your receipt then you can get this refunded when
you leave, so effectively there is no tax or duty whatsoever.

I doubt very much that you would be able to buy it cheaper in Christchurch
than in Sydney.

om...

Old April 24th, 2004, 05:06 PM
texan@texas.,.removethisbit.usa.com

On 23 Apr 2004 23:32:53 -0700, (Luke Hall) wrote:

Hello,
I am currently in Brisbane but am flying to Christchurch/NZ next
month.
I need to buy a new mini-disc player (walkman) but the prices in
Australia seam to be rather expensive. Someone told me that NZ has a
very low tax rate on electronics. Is this true? and can i expect to
find a mini-disk player at a much cheaper price when i get to
christchurch in May.

Thankyou

-Luke

AFAIK, 12.5% GST on all goods.

You might want to do a websearch of stores from:

www.yellowpages.co.nz

or:
check out duty free stores at:
[hint - look at prices on your way in then compare 'outside'.
http://www.christchurch-airport.co.nz/airport/

You may also want to post msge to:

nz.reg.canterbury.general

and see if some local can guide you to some store names etc.

Cath
Old April 24th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Peter Webb

Christchurch duty free is unlikely to be competitive with web purchase in
Oz, particularly as you can get your 10% GST for web purchases as well (just
keep your receipt).

And then I looked for minidisc, but you can't find them on-line. Nobody
sells them anymore. And why on earth would anyone want to? You have to
record your own media, and if you have to do that an iPod mp3 player or
similar is better in almost every respect, and probably costs less.

Old April 25th, 2004, 01:03 AM
Poss

Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of "Peter Webb"
:

The only tax in Oz on minidisc players is the 10% GST, and if the unit costs
more than $300 and you keep your receipt then you can get this refunded when
you leave, so effectively there is no tax or duty whatsoever.

I doubt very much that you would be able to buy it cheaper in Christchurch
than in Sydney.

The Au$ to NZ$ conversion might make it more attractive to buy in NZ.
Last I heard one Aussie was getting $1.16 EnZed.

Of course, if the product is dearer in the first place and has higher
tax, that probably cancels out any exchange rate advantage.

Old April 25th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Peter Webb

Poss wrote in message ...
Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of "Peter Webb"
:

The only tax in Oz on minidisc players is the 10% GST, and if the unit

costs
more than $300 and you keep your receipt then you can get this refunded

when
you leave, so effectively there is no tax or duty whatsoever.

I doubt very much that you would be able to buy it cheaper in

Christchurch
than in Sydney.

The Au$ to NZ$ conversion might make it more attractive to buy in NZ.
Last I heard one Aussie was getting $1.16 EnZed.

Of course, if the product is dearer in the first place and has higher
tax, that probably cancels out any exchange rate advantage.

Exchange rate has nothing to do with it. If the $NZ is lower, the importers
have to spend more $NZ than $AUD to import the item in the first place.

If exchange rate mattered, buy it in Indonesia. There are 10,000 Rp to the
$AUD, so the exchange rate should make minidisc players 10,000 times cheaper
in Indonesia than in Australia.

Old April 29th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Luke Hall

Yeh, Minidisks are being run down by iPods and MP3. The only company
still making them are Sony i think, and they are quite expensive. I
think i'll get a Discman instead and buy new CD's

Thanks for all your advice