Air France? Ptui!

Old October 22nd, 2006, 05:40 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,misc.consumers,soc.culture.french,alt.gossip.celebrities
mrtravel[_1_]

Default Air France? Ptui!

Tchiowa wrote:

You mean the Bin Laden who openly acknowledged in several videotapes
that he was behind 9/11? Sounds proven to me. Or are you referring to
the Saddam Hussein that used WMDs against his own people and invaded
Kuwait?

Like it or not, the US does not control how other countries treat their
citizens. The purpose of the US attack, according to Bush, was to protec
t the US from WMD. I have seen no report, let alone a credible one, that
indicates Saddam threatened the US with WMD.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 05:45 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.french
Ken Pisichko

Magda wrote:
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 09:10:33 -0500, in rec.travel.europe, Ken Pisichko
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:

... geenie wrote:
... The worst is the british. We took that airline British Airway when we
... travelled from Oklahoma to Rome. We went from Dallas to London on British
... Airway and connected in that horrible place called Heath Row or something
... like that. They speek something that sounds like english but isn't
... exactly. Some words you can understand, it sounds almost like english. I
... asked a stewardess on the flight over to London if she spoke english and
... she gave me a real nasty look. The same thing happened in the London
... airport. They made us feel real bad. I think it was discrimination
... because we are from the south. We were so happy when we got to Italy.
... Nobody spoke english but at least they didn't get nasty about it!
... They speak English in Oklahoma and in Texas? If so then I have just
... experienced an epiphany ;-)
... Ken, Canada

Hey, Ken, which language is geenie speaking? It looks like bad Swedish.

I am not sure, but perhaps it is some language called (by the users of
it) 'Merican. As a Volvo owner with some original manuals from Sweden I
can only observe that his scribblings do not resemble ANY Swedish I
have read :-)
Old October 22nd, 2006, 06:18 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,misc.consumers,soc.culture.french,alt.gossip.celebrities
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Tchiowa wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

Tchiowa wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Geoff Miller wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) writes:

Whereas I'm ashamed to acknowledge you as a fellow-countryman!

Likewise, you can be sure. I take it, then, that you didn't vote
for Bush?

Damned right! The man should be impeached, and if he hadn't
stacked Congress and the Supreme Court with his cronies, he
would be!

???? It's impossible for a President to stack Congress. The people
select Congress. And please tell me what percentage of the Justices of
the Supreme Court W selected.

22.2

Does that meet the poster's definition of "stacking the court"?

Given the promise to "deliver" the 2004 election for Bush
(made by the man who manufactures the mandated voting
machines) have we any guarantee that ANY elected official in
the USA nowadays is REALLY in office "by the will of the
people"? SFAIK, California is the only state that refused
to adopt the machines, because they leave no paper trail and
are too easy to manipulate. We still have a paper ballot,
but I think there is a deadline beyond which only machines
will be acceptable. (And it only takes one new Justice, if
the rest of the court has been appointed by previous
conservatives.)

Old October 22nd, 2006, 06:29 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,misc.consumers,soc.culture.french

Tchiowa wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Sancho Panza wrote:

And it was the leaders of the US that kept us out of another European
war for a while. They believed that it was both bad for business and
maybe there were some Chamberlains among them. And it was Democrats in
power at the time.

Really? I thought Herbert Hoover was a Republican. FDR may have delayed
until he knew the nation was behind him (unlike the Shrub), but he
certainly was no Isolationist!

What years do you think Hoover was president?

I KNOW what years he was president, it's the poster to whom
I was replying who seems unsure. Certainly FDR was no
Isolationist, as his post implies, so I assumed he had his
presidents confused.

Too late to try to bluff now. The poster said that the Democrats kept
us out of the European war and you said it was Hoover.

No, I said Hoover (whose record was almost as dismal as
Bush's) was a Republican, and that FDR (the Democrat) was
NOT an isolationist. In fact a great many people objected
to his international policies, which included support for
Great Britain and the other coutries fighting the Nazis,
because they thought he would drag us into the war.
(Whereas, if we had waited much longer, we might well have
been fighting Hitler all alone - and losing.)

Simply
nonsensical. And FDR absolutely was an isolationist until Japan
attacked Pearl Harbor.

Where did YOU go to school? And when? (Were you even
alive, then?) I remember how many conservatives were
complaining of Roosevelt's non-isolationist policies! (I
may have been too young to understand the issues, but I
certainly heard and understood what the adults around me
were saying.)

Old October 22nd, 2006, 06:30 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,misc.consumers,soc.culture.french,alt.gossip.celebrities

Tchiowa wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Tchiowa wrote:

(snip)

Aka "too stupid to learn more than one language" - and that one poorly, in
many cases! As to "linguistically homogeneous", where do you live? (In
some parts of the country Spanish is more frequently spoken than English.)

Not a matter of stupidity- most people have trouble learning other languages
as an adult.

Very true.

I also think it appropriate to point out that the Euros accomplishment
in speaking several languages comes from the same source as their boast
of doing a lot of international travelling. The root of that is not "a
wide world view" but rather a history of hatred and violence that kept
the continent split up into dozens of little countries that for a long
time had zero interaction with each other beyond the occasional trip to
murder a few people that looked funny to them.

Europe is chopped up into little countries because of hatred and
bigotry. They should be ashamed of it rather than boast of it.

LOL! (What a novel view of world history - original, to say
the least, but accurate?)

Perhaps you have a better explanation why Europe is a bunch of small
countries? And I assume that you're prepared to deny that the entire
history of Europe has been one war against each other after another?

I see no point in further engaging in a battle of wits with
an unarmed man! (P-L-O-N-K!)

Old October 22nd, 2006, 06:33 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.french

... geenie wrote:
[...]

Apparently Oklahoma schools haven't improved much since the
Great Depression! ("Okies" were the first wave of
uneducated migrant workers to invade California.)

Old October 22nd, 2006, 07:22 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,misc.consumers,soc.culture.french,alt.gossip.celebrities

In article .net,
Calif Bill wrote:

"O" wrote in message
In article .com,
Tchiowa wrote:

Some people might say that the fighting in WWII began in 1931, when
Japan invaded Manchuria.

-Owen

But that was Asia, and the west really did not care about that area. Except
for France having control of rubber in Indo-china.

They cared enough for FDR to institute sanctions.

-Owen
Old October 22nd, 2006, 07:26 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,misc.consumers,soc.culture.french

In article . com,
Tchiowa wrote:

I KNOW what years he was president, it's the poster to whom
I was replying who seems unsure. Certainly FDR was no
Isolationist, as his post implies, so I assumed he had his
presidents confused.

Too late to try to bluff now. The poster said that the Democrats kept
us out of the European war and you said it was Hoover. Simply
nonsensical. And FDR absolutely was an isolationist until Japan
attacked Pearl Harbor.

"Absolutely?"

I think the public image he was trying to present was isolationism, but
things like lend-lease and economic actions on Japan hardly could be
called isolationism.

-Owen
Old October 22nd, 2006, 11:57 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,misc.consumers,soc.culture.french,alt.gossip.celebrities
Calif Bill

"mrtravel" wrote in message
om...

Calif Bill wrote:

But that was Asia, and the west really did not care about that area.

Except
for France having control of rubber in Indo-china.

What about the US patrols along the Yangtze as portrayed in the book and
movie, The Sand Pebbles?

We had the China Marines, but overall Asia was not important to most of the
US. We also were in the Philippines, but until we were directly attacked,
the majority of the USA were isolationists. We had lost a lot of men not
many years before in the "War to end all Wars" in Europe. I think most
figured Europe should handle some of their own woes.