what got you interested in travel?

Old June 15th, 2009, 12:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

Default what got you interested in travel?

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 10:03:45 +0200, Erick T. Barkhuis wrote in post :
:

Mike:
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 00:48:26 -0700 (PDT), Surreyman
wrote:

And, of course, one is free to start laying one's own caches!

one going round in circles in the park outside my back door :-)

Even those could be fun, if set up properly.

I happen to know a Night Cache nearby, which is set up on an iron
bridge in a deserted train track. The bridge is only about 30 meters
long. It takes about 3-4 hours of hard work to solve puzzles and find
clues in the dark, in order to finally discover a hand-made, fantastic
cache.

To be honest, I only heard friends and colleagues report about their
adventures at that location. My wife and I wouldn't go for that cache.
It's not the "Sunday Morning Walk" type of cache we prefer. But it
shows, that there are many different types of caches; even your Park
Circles could turn into something nice, like a learning track, where
geocachers get to recognize a set of different trees.

Some of them are on sheer mountain cliff-faces where you need to be an
expert mountaineer to reach. Loonies :-)

--
Tim C.
Old June 15th, 2009, 12:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 08:53:18 +0100, Mike wrote in post :
:

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 13:43:54 +0200, "Tim C."
wrote:

You can do it with any GPS equipment where you
can input a gps co-ordinate.

I only have a speed camera GPS, hang on SWMBOs phone has sat nav. Do
you do this locally, or whizz about?

It's up to you. Find a few local ones, or a couple that are near where
you'll be walking at the weekend, for example. They are all over the place.

--
Tim C.
Old June 15th, 2009, 06:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis

Tim C.:
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 08:53:18 +0100, Mike wrote in post :
:

I only have a speed camera GPS, hang on SWMBOs phone has sat nav. Do
you do this locally, or whizz about?

It's up to you. Find a few local ones, or a couple that are near where
you'll be walking at the weekend, for example. They are all over the place.

That's exactly how you'll get started.
Once you found your first 40-plus caches, you'll want to do the same
when you're visiting family during the weekend, 100 miles down the
motorway. Heck, it would be a great way to turn the usual boring tea
table chat into a family outdoor event, with you being the Great Expert
showing how to really enjoy a nice walk.

--
Erick

"It's not an optical illusion, it just looks that way."
Old June 15th, 2009, 08:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis

Martin:
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 19:06:11 +0200, Erick T. Barkhuis
-o-m wrote:

Heck, it would be a great way to turn the usual boring tea
table chat into a family outdoor event, with you being the Great Expert
showing how to really enjoy a nice walk.

You never had a nice walk before you bought a GPS receiver?

Sure. But I never "really enjoyed" it.

--
Erick
Old June 15th, 2009, 08:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis

Martin:
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 21:39:32 +0200, Erick T. Barkhuis
-o-m wrote:

Martin:

You never had a nice walk before you bought a GPS receiver?

Sure. But I never "really enjoyed" it.

I've owned a Garmin 12XL GPS receiver since 1997, I used it to navigate around
the world in a Volvo round the world in a virtual online race. I've never found
the need to take it for a walk.

Now that you have read about Geocaching, are you going to give it a try?

--
Erick
Old June 16th, 2009, 06:56 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 21:59:23 +0200, Martin wrote in post :
:

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 21:55:46 +0200, Erick T. Barkhuis
-o-m wrote:

Martin:
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 21:39:32 +0200, Erick T. Barkhuis
-o-m wrote:

Martin:

You never had a nice walk before you bought a GPS receiver?

Sure. But I never "really enjoyed" it.

I've owned a Garmin 12XL GPS receiver since 1997, I used it to navigate around
the world in a Volvo round the world in a virtual online race. I've never found
the need to take it for a walk.

Now that you have read about Geocaching, are you going to give it a try?

I read about it ten years ago. No.

I know many enjoy it, but it doesn't interest me.

So there you go. :-
--
Tim C.
Old June 16th, 2009, 08:17 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gen. Galtieri

On Jun 15, 9:55*pm, Erick T. Barkhuis -o-m
wrote:
Martin:

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 21:39:32 +0200, Erick T. Barkhuis
-o-m wrote:

Martin:
You never had a nice walk before you bought a GPS receiver?

Sure. But I never "really enjoyed" it.

I've owned a Garmin 12XL GPS receiver since 1997, I used it to navigate around
the world in a Volvo round the world in a virtual online race. I've never found
the need to take it for a walk.

Now that you have read about Geocaching, are you going to give it a try?

--
Erick

Orienteering is more interesting
Old June 16th, 2009, 09:32 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_2_]

On 15 June, 18:06, Erick T. Barkhuis -o-m
wrote:
Tim C.:

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 08:53:18 +0100, Mike wrote in post :
:

I only have a speed camera GPS, hang on SWMBOs phone has sat nav. Do
you do this locally, or whizz about?

It's up to you. Find a few local ones, or a couple that are near where
you'll be walking at the weekend, for example. They are all over the place.

That's exactly how you'll get started.
Once you found your first 40-plus caches, you'll want to do the same
when you're visiting family during the weekend, 100 miles down the
motorway. Heck, it would be a great way to turn the usual boring tea
table chat into a family outdoor event, with you being the Great Expert
showing how to really enjoy a nice walk.

--
Erick

"It's not an optical illusion, it just looks that way."

Yep, we've done that when visiting friends - resulting in more
geocache recruits!

Surreyman