Going back....

Old May 26th, 2009, 08:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike[_36_]

Default Going back....

On Tue, 26 May 2009 09:27:57 +1000, Alan S wrote:

I don't find it frustrating at all.

it wasn't that word that resonated for me, just the concept of
revisiting. I have a friend who is ticking off all the worlds
countries, she does not seem to have any recollection of many.
--
Mike
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:17 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
\Airforce Scrum\

On May 25, 5:10*pm, Keith Anderson wrote:
On Mon, 25 May 2009 11:42:31 +0100, "Mike" wrote:
"I hate leaving places I have just uncovered the first layer. It can
be a language, culture,flora and fauna, or simply a place, but if I
begin to sniff it and want to explore more but have to leave, I get
frustrated" Simon King in the Torygraph.

If theres anybody left here interested in travel does that resonate
for you? It does for me.

Well, a place like Berlin which I'd been visiting since 1979 had so
many hidden corners that I decided to move here in 2007 and discover a
whole load more. The job is by no means finished.

Had a few days in Poznan, Poland, at the beginnng of April. Lots more
to uncover there, too.

My advice to Mr King is simple - if there's more to discover, go back
and discover it.

Maybe his problem is that he won't go back unless the Torygraph pays
his travel and expenses, which is a different matter entirely.

Keith Anderson, Geprüfter Stadtführer/Qualified Berlin Guide.

Verband der Berliner Statdtführer/Berlin Guide e.V.

which thing(s) activate your juices in Berlin ?
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:26 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike[_36_]

On Tue, 26 May 2009 19:04:59 +1000, Alan S wrote:

But I remember enough to know which I want to see again, as
I mentioned, and which I don't. Epypt is top of the latter
list.

Sharm el sheik was King's worst travel experience. Egypt was already
not on my list :-)
Radio had a nice little thing about places in songs being a
disappointment. They were all in US because I assume a lot of pop
comes from there and it seems they don't have the ironic approach, can
you imagine Brits doing it, "ferry 'cross the Mersey" "Mull of
Kintyre" OK, you win :-) Anyway, "24 hours from Tulsa", best place to
be, "Galveston", should have fired the cannons at it. "Do you know the
way to San Jose?" Best not know. The conclusion was, San Francisco
aside, US song titles were all versions of Middlesborough. Mind you,
the original San Jose in Spain is a nice, (only partly spoiled by
tourism) place with great beaches.
--
Mike
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Alan S wrote:

[]
I have a friend who is ticking off all the worlds
countries, she does not seem to have any recollection of many.

Well, I'm trying to remember most - but if you check the
blog I'm still filling in a lot of gaps:-)

But I remember enough to know which I want to see again, as
I mentioned, and which I don't. Epypt is top of the latter
list.

Some people like revisiting the same place or country, others like
travelling to new places all the time, and still others like doing a bit
of both- perfectly possible if you're a frequent traveller. I don't
think any approach is intriniscally better or worse- it all depends on
what people like. Not recalling the countries or places you've been to
could indicate memory problems.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old May 27th, 2009, 01:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith Anderson

On Tue, 26 May 2009 02:17:12 -0700 (PDT), "\"Airforce Scrum\""
wrote:

[...]

All sorts, really. The lakes for one thing (e.g. Langer See,
Griebnitzsee, Schwielowsee by Potsdam) and places where the meandering
Havel widens out into lakes. As many lakes are surrounded by forests,
there's good wandering to be had there.

Hidden little "Kiezes" such as Richardplatz/Alt-Rixdorf in Neukölln, a
former village to which King Friedrich-Wilhelm I invited the
persecuted Bohemian Brotherhood to settle under royal protection.

Sometimes I'll hop on a bus which I've never been on before, just to
see what there is to see. One from Wedding to Buch goes through an
absolutely delightful and leafy part of Weissensee, much else of which
tends to be rather scruffy and tumbledown, although renovation
proceeds apace.

Some of the places incorporated into Berlin were once small villages
in their own right and still have a "village" feel to them, such as
Alt-Buckow with an ancient stone church, duck-pond and former
farmhouses. Alt-Lübars on the edge of (former) West Berlin is
delightfully rural still and with theWall gone, there's access to some
very small, quiet lakes there.

Took a tour of the former Stasi Remand Prison in Hohenschönhausen,
guided by a former inmate. Fascinating.

Still, much, much more to see and do.

Old May 27th, 2009, 04:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Newb

wrote:
[...]

it sounds like most of the attractions are outside Berlin itself ?
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
wildrose1723

wrote:
[...]

it sounds like most of the attractions are outside Berlin itself ?- Hide quoted text -

Well, Mike I am with you - This got me. Resonates is even the perfect
word to use. I feel like this almost every place I visit, whether it's
been a castle in Scotland, a European city like Paris or Amsterdam, or
a simple hiking trail by the ocean - there is just so much more you
wish you could see. And while you sincerely hope to go back someday
and explore you can't help but wonder: what more is there to explore?
Although EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) shares my paradigm that yes,
that's "life". I think that no matter how long I live and how many
places I go there will always be more in this beautiful world I will
long to see.
Thanks for sharing Mike
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith Anderson

On Wed, 27 May 2009 08:20:44 -0700 (PDT), Dan Newb
wrote:

it sounds like most of the attractions are outside Berlin itself ?

Seeing as how I am a guide in Berlin, the major city sights are part
and parcel of my daily professional life. Tourists from the
English-speaking world expect to visit these major sights on their
(usually) short stays, so I am, naturally enough, familiar with them..
However, as a resident, I want to explore further afield and I do.

Most of the places I mentioned are, in fact, within the city
boundaries.

Old May 28th, 2009, 12:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Nick Cramer

Alan S wrote:
[ . . . ]
Hey - I'm 62yo and waddling towards dementia mate...sorry,
where were we?

Actually, I can remember all 30+ countries, even all the US
states. I do get a little confused over some of the towns...

To add to the cornfusion, there are many towns with the same names in
different states or provinces. ;-)

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Old May 28th, 2009, 07:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Newb

wrote:

it sounds like most of the attractions are outside Berlin itself ?

Seeing as how I am a guide in Berlin, the major city sights are part
and parcel of my daily professional life. Tourists from the
English-speaking world expect to visit these major sights on their
(usually) short stays, so I am, naturally enough, familiar with them..
However, as a resident, I want to explore further afield and I do.

Most of the places I mentioned are, in fact, within the city
boundaries.

Keith Anderson, Geprüfter Stadtführer/Qualified Berlin Guide.

Verband der Berliner Statdtführer/Berlin Guide e.V.

but what would you recommend in Berlin itself ?