two weeks in the U.S.

Old June 12th, 2011, 02:05 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
MLD

Default two weeks in the U.S.

"David Hatunen" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 10:41:54 -0400, MLD wrote:

LA? Wine country? Are you sure you're not thinking of San Francisco? San
Francisco proper is much smaller than most would imagine, only 49 square
miles, about seven miles by seven miles. Although the locals have chronic
complaints about local transit, it's actually pretty good. And quite a
bit of fun what with the cable cars, old street cars/trams and the Metro.
You can gt almost anywhere within San Francisco on foot or transit.

Snip
You're right--my screw up--I got the two places mixed up.
In either case, when we hit a big city our approach is to take one of the
big city tours---preferably a "Hop-On-Hop Off" if available. This gives us
the lay of the land and then having seen the highlights, we can go back to
where we'd like to see more or just move on to bigger and better. The
organized tour is a good introduction of a city and well worth it. In
London, for example, the Red and Blue Bus Tour was a Hop-ON-Hop Off-- and
with it came a complete city tour on both tour lines, a ticket for boat ride
down the Thames and a guided walking tour the next day. After that we were
on our own using public transportation. Deciding where to go was much
easier after seeing much of the city via the Bus Tours.
MLD

Old June 12th, 2011, 05:12 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 22:39:31 +0000 (UTC), David Hatunen
wrote:

LA? Wine country? Are you sure you're not thinking of San Francisco?

Many people consider the best California wines to come from Santa Barbara, which
is only ~60 miles nw of LA. And Simi Valley is known for its wine.

-- Larry
Old June 12th, 2011, 05:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 14:06:26 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:

The tourist part of Las Vegas (the "strip") is very small and you can
easily walk from one to the other in just a few minutes.

Mandalay Bay to Wynn (the useful strip) is about a mile and a half. Wynn to
downtown is another two miles. I walk those routes all the time, but the heat is
often oppressive and wouldn't allow most people to do so.

But there are buses along the strip for which you can get daily or longer passes
to wander about as you like. I'd recommend them.

IMO, the tram line running up to the convention center and the Hilton is
ridiculously expensive and not often convenient.

If you want to get to places off-strip, like Rio, some of them run their own
shuttles to strip hotels.

-- Larry
Old June 12th, 2011, 11:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
David Hatunen

wrote:

LA? Wine country? Are you sure you're not thinking of San Francisco?

Many people consider the best California wines to come from Santa
Barbara,

How many people? Santa Barbara has some fine wines (I don't know about
the Simi Valley), but I suspect if you were to make the claim that the
*best* wines come from there, instead of the Alexander and Napa Valleys,
or Sonoma in front of the natives in those areas you'll have the natives
looking for some rope and a sturdy tree branch.

which is only ~60 miles nw of LA. And Simi Valley is known for
its wine.

But they're rarely called "wine country" by foreign tourists.

--
Dave Hatunen, Tucson, Baja Arizona, out where the cacti grow
Old June 12th, 2011, 11:57 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
David Hatunen

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 12:18:34 -0400, pltrgyst wrote:

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 14:06:26 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:

The tourist part of Las Vegas (the "strip") is very small and you can
easily walk from one to the other in just a few minutes.

Mandalay Bay to Wynn (the useful strip) is about a mile and a half. Wynn
to downtown is another two miles. I walk those routes all the time, but
the heat is often oppressive and wouldn't allow most people to do so.

But there are buses along the strip for which you can get daily or
longer passes to wander about as you like. I'd recommend them.

IMO, the tram line running up to the convention center and the Hilton is
ridiculously expensive and not often convenient.

I assume you man the monorail. I couldn't believe the fares when I looked
them up. didn't seem to be that convenient for strolling parts of the
Strip, either.

--
Dave Hatunen, Tucson, Baja Arizona, out where the cacti grow
Old June 13th, 2011, 03:34 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 22:55:59 +0000 (UTC), David Hatunen
wrote:

Many people consider the best California wines to come from Santa
Barbara,

How many people? Santa Barbara has some fine wines (I don't know about
the Simi Valley), but I suspect if you were to make the claim that the
*best* wines come from there, instead of the Alexander and Napa Valleys,
or Sonoma in front of the natives in those areas you'll have the natives
looking for some rope and a sturdy tree branch.

I'll take my chances with the lynch mobs -- I'd rather drink pinot noirs from
Brewer-Clifton and Melville than anything else I've tried from California
(except for zins like Turley and Ridge, which, of course, have no European
equivalents). But then I'm an ABCer, both red and white.

which is only ~60 miles nw of LA. And Simi Valley is known for
its wine.

But they're rarely called "wine country" by foreign tourists.

True, but this OP just might be one of those.

-- Larry
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:48 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
David Hatunen

wrote:

[...]

Maybe. Had he not already admitted he got confused.

--
Dave Hatunen, Tucson, Baja Arizona, out where the cacti grow