Botswana and Namibia Trip

Old April 16th, 2009, 07:28 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
rydale

Default Botswana and Namibia Trip

Hi all.

A while since I've posted, although I do lurk from time to time.

*very* early days, but I'm thinking about going a bit further afield from
our usual Kenya outing, to Botswana/Namibia next year.
I'd be interested in any first thoughts on 'must see' stop offs, or route
advice.

We usually look for 10 days of game viewing/photography and 2-3 days beach
time at the end, so I guess its Botswana first then Namibia.
Possible locations on the list include Chobe, Moremi/Okavango, Etosha, Namib
desert and Skeleton coast.

However, I realise it looks like a lot of mileage!

I will pick this up again later in the year if that's okay, but I would
appreciate initial thoughts from anyone with experience in this area.
We don't do self-drive, so not too concerned about road quality etc.
We are also tied to school holidays (my wife teaches) so I'm interested in
views on the July - September time of year for this trip.

Thanks all.

Charles

PS just got back from India, including Ranthambhore, but this is an Africa
newsgroup so won't bore you with that one, other to say that Africa is
better !!

Old April 16th, 2009, 09:22 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
tim.....

"rydale" wrote in message
Hi all.

A while since I've posted, although I do lurk from time to time.

*very* early days, but I'm thinking about going a bit further afield from
our usual Kenya outing, to Botswana/Namibia next year.
I'd be interested in any first thoughts on 'must see' stop offs, or route
advice.

I can't really help you, but after my previous trip I'm thinking of doing
the same thing, so I can just add some ideas which hopefully will encourage
some helpful replies for me as well.

Does this require a 4x4 or a normal car. Personally, I would prefer a
normal car but does that make the "must do" places out of bounds?

I shall be looking at for a rental from SA and have discovered that many of
the companies charge extortionate prices to take their cars into adjacent
countries. Some are completely free (for NAM and BOT) but others wanted as
much as 3000 Rand *per country*, just for writing a letter of
"authorisation". Unfortunately, the free ones are the small local companies
that may be difficult to deal with remotely (if applicable for you). Any
ideas?

We usually look for 10 days of game viewing/photography

In BOT would that be Kalahari and Chobe. 4x4s look to be required for all
but a small part of these parks. Is there anywhere accessible by a normal
car? Or can you park up in a camp and go on a day safari excursion at a
sensible price?

and 2-3 days beach time at the end, so I guess its Botswana first then
Namibia.
Possible locations on the list include Chobe, Moremi/Okavango, Etosha,
Namib desert and Skeleton coast.

I saw a program about the Skeleton coast and apparently there is a strict
limit on visitors (IIRC 900 per *year*), so you need to get your name on
that list! Personally, I can't see the attraction. Sand dunes are sand
dunes are sand dunes - am I missing something?

However, I realise it looks like a lot of mileage!

I will pick this up again later in the year if that's okay, but I would
appreciate initial thoughts from anyone with experience in this area.
We don't do self-drive, so not too concerned about road quality etc.

Ah. How are you intending on getting around?

We are also tied to school holidays (my wife teaches) so I'm interested in
views on the July - September time of year for this trip.

This would be my choice of date as well. It's "winter", but I doubt it will
be cold. You probably need to avoid local SA school holidays of first three
weeks in July. I wonder if BOT and NAM holidays are different?

tim

Old April 16th, 2009, 09:25 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Kris Tonastik

On Apr 16, 8:28*am, "rydale" wrote:
[...]

Look at the distances dude !
You need a plane

PS the Indians have killed most of their Tigers
Old April 18th, 2009, 07:02 AM
travelbag travelbag is offline
Banned

Africa has got all of it,the thrill of forest and animal kingdom and also the beauty of the natural scape around.Love it and wish I could take my children for a long long holiday there.