luggage locks

Old January 4th, 2008, 02:32 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Marsha[_2_]

Default luggage locks

Craig wrote:
You've probably never traveled through Phoenix's Sky Harbor airport then,
where recently a piece of luggage jammed on a conveyor belt so long that the
friction heated the luggage until it started smoking. The smoke finally
alerted folks that something was wrong, but at that point, the concern was
that the bag was the cause of the smoke so the airport was shut down as a
flammable materials/bomb precaution until they realized the bag contained
nothing dangerous and that it was a airport conveyor belt issue.

Ah, to travel by air these days...

Craig in AZ

Probably wasn't Samsonite....

Marsha/Ohio

Old January 4th, 2008, 02:34 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Marsha[_2_]

Ken Blake wrote:

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 10:45:27 -0600, "singlemalt"
wrote:
My wife put a TSA approved luggage lock on her suitcase and it got caught on
something and ripped off the zippers. The airlines take no responsibility
for such damage and the cost of repair is worth more than the bag,
therefore, new bag. There was nothing in the bag that valuable to start
with. Think twice about putting a lock on your bag.

I agree entirely. Beside the point you make, luggage locks are
useless. They are toys. Any thief who has access to your bag can get
through one of those tiny locks with ease in a couple of seconds.

And if you use a bigger lock and make it harder for the thief, he'll
just cut the bag open, doing even more damage.

What do you think about having security cameras in all the luggage
handling areas?

Marsha/Ohio

Old January 4th, 2008, 03:22 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
MI

On 1/3/08 5:05 PM, in article
, "AZ Nomad"
wrote:

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 00:19:19 GMT, MI wrote:

On 1/3/08 3:22 PM, in article
, "AZ Nomad"
wrote:

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 17:03:15 -0500, LVTravel wrote:

I don't use the luggage locks to keep the thieves out but to keep the
clothes in. Any lock is only a temporary deterrent to keep an honest
person
honest. I have seen many pieces of luggage with the zippers down and
clothes viewable to God and country because the zippers unzipped in
transit.
I have also seen hardsided luggage wide open since the latches weren't
locked (pre 9-11.).

Any lock you put on a bag checked at the airport may be snipped by the TSA
and
no lock will protect any bag not made of iron and as heavy as a safe.

I just use cable ties so that I can know if somebody has been rummaging
around
in my bag and if I need to check for theft by baggage handlers, the TSA,
etc.

My TSA approved locks show green when you lock them. If someone opens them
with the approved key it shows red. I use them to keep them from
accidentally opening.

Somehow, I don't trust the TSA not to have a way of opening the locks without
an indication.

Cable ties only cost pennies. The worst part was the logistics of packing a
tool
that could cut them. Nowadays, nail clippers are no longer forbidden items.

When I travelled to Australia recently, I could certainly see my lock has
been open. It is triggered by turning the hasp. Surprisingly, it was only
the Aussies that were interested in my wardrobe.

--
Martha Canada

Old January 4th, 2008, 03:42 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_2_]

AZ wrote on Fri, 04 Jan 2008 01:05:12 -0000:

?? On 1/3/08 3:22 PM, in article
?? ,
?? "AZ Nomad" wrote:

?? On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 17:03:15 -0500, LVTravel
wrote:
??
[...]

AN Somehow, I don't trust the TSA not to have a way of opening
AN the locks without an indication.

AZCable ties only cost pennies. The worst part was the
logistics of packing a tool
AZ that could cut them. Nowadays, nail clippers are no longer
forbidden items.

Any key of a reasonable size can be used to twist the cable tie
until it snaps.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old January 4th, 2008, 04:39 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

wrote in message
On Jan 3, 1:04 pm, "Craig" wrote:
wrote...
On Jan 3, 11:45 am, "singlemalt" wrote:
My wife put a TSA approved luggage lock on her suitcase and it got
caught
on
something and ripped off the zippers. The airlines take no
responsibility
for such damage and the cost of repair is worth more than the bag,
therefore, new bag. There was nothing in the bag that valuable to
start
with. Think twice about putting a lock on your bag.

could be a baggage handler thought there was something in there worth
locking, and ripped the thing off....

I cant imagine what would have gotten caught and ripped it off
otherwise...

You've probably never traveled through Phoenix's Sky Harbor airport
then,
where recently a piece of luggage jammed on a conveyor belt so long that
the
friction heated the luggage until it started smoking. The smoke finally
alerted folks that something was wrong, but at that point, the concern
was
that the bag was the cause of the smoke so the airport was shut down as a
flammable materials/bomb precaution until they realized the bag contained
nothing dangerous and that it was a airport conveyor belt issue.

Ah, to travel by air these days...

Craig in AZ

yes, but did the bag rip? Probably not......

Coming off a Hawaiian Airlines flight in the 1990's, 1/2 the bags were
ripped. On the trip over the Samsonite suitcase was bent. Lots of bad
equipment and handlers.

Old January 4th, 2008, 07:18 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD

In message Marsha wrote:

What do you think about having security cameras in all the luggage
handling areas?

That, plus make it a death penalty offense to remove anything from
luggage unless it is properly disposed of.
Old January 4th, 2008, 07:18 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD

In message AZ
Nomad wrote:

Cable ties only cost pennies. The worst part was the logistics of packing a tool
that could cut them. Nowadays, nail clippers are no longer forbidden items.

Nail clippers have never been forbidden in checked luggage -- Just place
your cutting tool (small knife, nail clippers, scissors, whatever) in an
exterior pocket of your suitcase.

Sure, someone could use it to open your bag, but honestly, the point is
more to avoid bags from being accidentally opened, and to know if a bag
was opened.
Old January 4th, 2008, 09:46 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
LVTravel[_2_]

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
[...]

Even the "made of iron" and being a safe doesn't keep those willing enough
out.

Used to use cable ties all the time before 9-11 and a few years later until
the TSA locks were introduced. Now use the locks and will occasionally
apply breakable seals on the zippers also. Didn't do it the trip to the
cruise.

Old January 4th, 2008, 09:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
AZ Nomad

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 15:46:32 -0500, LVTravel wrote:

Used to use cable ties all the time before 9-11 and a few years later until
the TSA locks were introduced. Now use the locks and will occasionally
apply breakable seals on the zippers also. Didn't do it the trip to the
cruise.

I will take every precaution I can think of on my next cruise. On
the last cruise, my wife and I had about $250 of merchandise and clothing
stolen. Unless the TSA handlers routinely walk out of work with their
clothing stuffed to elephantine proportions, the theft probably occured
when the cruise staff had idiotically instructed us to leave our bags outside
the room for them to pickup sometime over the course of half a day.