Lagos - Murtala Muhammed Airport and SAA

Old November 18th, 2008, 07:40 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.africa
Peter H.M. Brooks

Default Lagos - Murtala Muhammed Airport and SAA

I travelled, comfortably enough, to Lagos this week, with BA. I was
upgraded to Business Class from Premium Economy and didn't notice that
much of a difference - you are in a little pig-pen, it's true, either
opening onto an aisle or next to somebody else, but the whole
experience doesn't seem to me much different from that in Premium
Economy. The service is OK, but not much better - we were delayed
about an hour before taking off [apparently some people had to be
'removed'], so I was offered a second drink, the air steward only had
water or orange juice, so, after disturbing me to ask, he offered a
second glass of champagne, I said, yes, thank you, and heard no more
of it - he forgot, or they ran out, or something. To my mind that's
pretty crap service for Business Class! Also their little bag of stuff
is pathetic - Emirates, in Business class, give you a pukka bag, with
good quality and useful things in it - BA give you a tiny cloth bag
with a toothbrush, earplugs and some tiny vials of useless cream
('hand and nail', I ask you, what man needs 'nail cream' and what does
it do for you?) made by some company called 'Elemis' - I'd heard of
the company that made the Emirates stuff.

Anyway, that wasn't really my questions. I'll be flying back to Cape
Town on SAA [I would have chosen any other airline, if there was one,
bit it was the only option]. I've been in touch with them by e-mail
[their seat selection software works for the JNB - CPT leg, but can't
cope with the map for a 744, so you can't choose a seat for the LOS -
JNB leg] and get some short, coy replies.

I've been trying to find out whether they have an airline lounge at
Lagos airport. It's important because my flight is at ten at night.
With no lounge, I'd rather have a meal in a restaurant and turn up
just before the flight [not ideal with the Lagos traffic], with a
lounge, I'd be happy to turn up early and relax there. I find various
oblique references to Lagos and lounges - Virgin have a good one,
apparently - but nothing about SAA actually having on or not. Their
reply to me said, yes, I was entitled to use business class lounges -
which doesn't answer the question of whether there actually is one!

Anybody been on that route and know?

Old November 26th, 2008, 11:02 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.africa,soc.culture.south-africa,soc.culture.nigeria
Peter Brooks

On Nov 18, 7:40*pm, "Peter H.M. Brooks"
wrote:
[...]

I've managed to find an answer to this, so, here it is, in case
anybody else wishes to find out some day...

There are both first and business class lounges at Lagos airport, both
said to be quite good.

The funny thing was that South African Airways was quite unable to
find this out. They sent me two telephone numbers to try to call SAA
locally in Lagos, but one didn't work and the other was not answered.
I found this out by contacting somebody who had complained about SAA
on the site www.hellopeter.com and mentioned the Lagos First Class
Lounge. A very roundabout way of discovering something that ought to
be fairly simple....

Old November 28th, 2008, 08:40 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

I don't remember the airport much I'm afraid, so I have no defiite
info. However, SAA is part of Star Alliance, so if there is a Star
Alliance lounge, you'll be able to use the lounge. Have a look at
other Star Alliance airlines websites, they may have better
information.

Cheers,
Marc