A-Z of English words with surprising origins

Old November 28th, 2008, 05:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.sport.rugby.union
Hatunen

Default A-Z of English words with surprising origins

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 14:24:24 -0600, "Jim Davis"
wrote:

"Uncle Dave" wrote in message
On Nov 27, 11:24 am, Miles Vaches wrote:

snip ad

You missed one - WTF. As in "WTF has this got to do with rugby?" Oh,
and you failed to include "spam".

Actually, WTF does this have to do with *any* of these groups?

And he left out two groups that would have been appropriate:
alt.usage.english and alt.english.usage.

Old November 28th, 2008, 05:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.sport.rugby.union
beef connective tissue

On 28 Nov, 17:10, Hatunen wrote:
On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 13:41:52 +0100, Giovanni Drogo

wrote:
On Thu, 27 Nov 2008, Miles Vaches wrote:

Regatta, from Venetian dialect, it originally signified any kind of
contest.

I may just repeat what I said a while ago (april 2008) in another thread
on r.t.e. As a native speaker of Italian, a language where double
consonants are significant, I'm always puzzled by the fact in English
you write "regatta" with 2 t's, while in Italian we write "regata" with
one t.

The answer is quite simple: "regatta" is an English word,
"regata" an Italian word. I'm not trying to be flip; ths is a
very important language concept that some have a hard time
accepting.

--
* ************** DAVE HATUNEN ) *************
* ** * * * Tucson Arizona, out where the cacti grow * * * * *

what is it in Finnish ?
Old November 28th, 2008, 05:57 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.sport.rugby.union
Markku Grönroos

perhaps you bedouin stop crossposting this filth to rte

"Hatunen" kirjoitti
om...

Old November 28th, 2008, 06:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.sport.rugby.union
Giovanni Drogo

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008, Hatunen wrote:

consonants are significant, I'm always puzzled by the fact in English
you write "regatta" with 2 t's, while in Italian we write "regata" with
one t.

The answer is quite simple: "regatta" is an English word,
"regata" an Italian word.

As "film", "pullover", "box", "murales" and "peones" are all italian
words ? :-)

is a newsreading account used by more persons to
Old November 28th, 2008, 06:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.sport.rugby.union
Gregory Morrow[_94_]

Default "Runge" Has An Itchy Arse...[WAS: A-Z of English words with surprising origins

Runge13 wrote:

michaelnewpoort has spoken.

Perhaps "Runge" needs a big dose of flea powder...

--
Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking

"Miles Vaches" a écrit dans le message de
On 27 Nov, 17:41, didgerman wrote:
Miles Vaches wrote:
On 27 Nov, 14:04, "Road_Hog" wrote:
"Miles Vaches" spammed the

.

Snipped a load of spam.

So Bill Tong, which you are because you use the same email address
any particular reason you are spamming this
group
under another sock puppet alias?

yes, its called 'culture'....... ;-)

Culture is a word derived from the Greek 'culture', meaning: to have an
itchy arse.

..... 2 things Road_Hog has learnt today.....

Old November 28th, 2008, 06:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.sport.rugby.union
Ariadne

On 28 Nov, 17:20, Giovanni Drogo wrote:
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008, Hatunen wrote:
consonants are significant, I'm always puzzled by the fact in English
you write "regatta" with 2 t's, while in Italian we write "regata" with
one t.

The answer is quite simple: "regatta" is an English word,
"regata" an Italian word.

As "film", "pullover", "box", "murales" and "peones" are all italian
words ? :-)

is a newsreading account used by more persons to

No. We Anglicise our borrowings and
they stop being borrowings.
Old November 29th, 2008, 12:11 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.sport.rugby.union
kodok

Etymology is a difficult art ..
IMHO
There was no such thing as Hotchpotch in Norman Law, which was still
part of the curriculum
in the school of Law in CAEN in the fifties. Attended by a handful of
Guernsey and Jersey future
lawyers.
There is a HOCHEPOT, Flemish stew, still served in Flanders, Belgium
and Northern France.
I thought is came forom "huspot" (housepot) but it seems to be "Huts
pot".
"Hutsen" mean "to shake", like the French "Hocher".

Mandarin is not a Chinese word, granted (Guan or Quan)
I do not see how it would come from Sweden .
When did Swedish navigators reach South East Asia. ?
I would be inclined to think it comes from Portuguese.
Mandare, from a latin verb, means "to order", "to give orders", which
is what a "Quan" was doing. .

Yogourt : is it Turkish or Bulgarian ?
Bulgaria was part of Turkey, they are both part of Europe now, so it
does not make much difference.
Old November 30th, 2008, 11:18 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.sport.rugby.union
Tom P[_5_]

Giovanni Drogo wrote:
On Thu, 27 Nov 2008, Ariadne wrote:

Spelling in English is not so regular. We spell "sonata"

But "sonata" is a perfectly legitimate italian word ! There are many
cases of italian words which alternate "uo" and "o" (open o !), with the
"o" form being preferred in Tuscan or central-italian vernaculars.

Yes, nowadays almost nobody will use the verb "sonare" and everybody
will prefer "suonare" (to sound), with participle "suonato", and the
substantive "suono" (sound). But Tuscans may use it, and the term could
be found in literature until 40 or 50 years ago.

But the musical term "sonata" was "frozen" as such a lot of time ago,
and is the only proper form.

Why is "crocodile" rendered in Italian as "cocodril"?
Old November 30th, 2008, 10:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.sport.rugby.union
Ariadne

Dick Adams wrote:
Ariadne wrote:
Part of what makes English such a beautiful language.

As beautiful as English is, what makes it most amazing
is that every English speaking nation has a different
dialect and some have many dialects.

Once on a train to London, I was in a conversation with
two men from the far north of Scotland, a Cockney, an
Irishman, and an Englishman from Newcastle. *I kept
turning to the Englishman and asking "What did he say?"

It's several nations separated by a common language.

Dick

I'm very pleased that "Estuary" hasn't taken
over. But dialect words are certainly being
lost.