Late picking up a rental car?

Old April 20th, 2010, 09:06 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jimmy

Default Late picking up a rental car?

What happens if you're late picking up a rental car, for which you
have an unpaid reservation with a very low guaranteed rate?

Let's say I have a car reserved at noon on a Friday, for two days. If
I pick up the car at 4 pm Friday, would they:
1. Honor the rate, and set the return time to 4 pm Sunday
2. Honor the rate, but I'd have to bring it back at noon Sunday
or
3. Make me pay the much higher walk-up rate

I made the reservation several weeks ago. If I search again for the
later pickup time, or try to modify the existing reservation, I'd get
a rate that's more than double my reserved rate. So if there's some
flexibility in pickup times, I'd like to keep my reservation and just
show up late.

I'm most interested in Alamo's policies, but I'd also like to know
about the other big companies.

Thanks!

Jimmy
Old April 20th, 2010, 09:47 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jochen Kriegerowski[_3_]

Am 20.04.2010 22:06, schrieb Jimmy:

What happens if you're late picking up a rental car, for which you
have an unpaid reservation with a very low guaranteed rate?

Let's say I have a car reserved at noon on a Friday, for two days. If
I pick up the car at 4 pm Friday, would they:
1. Honor the rate, and set the return time to 4 pm Sunday
2. Honor the rate, but I'd have to bring it back at noon Sunday
or
3. Make me pay the much higher walk-up rate

Sometimes a flight is late, and therefore I show up late at the
rental car counter...
It has always been "2" on your list. Hertz, Alamo, Sixt... their
policies seem to be very much alike.

Jochen from Germany
Old April 20th, 2010, 10:01 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

"Jimmy" wrote in message
[...]

.

If it is Alamo in which you are most interested, why not pick up the phone
right now and ask the folks at Alamo? Why ask us here? Do you really think
we here are more knowledgeable than the folks at Alamo are about its late
pickup policies? Do you really think that what we say is more reliable than
what the Alamo folks tell you? When you do show up to pick up your car, are
you going to cite to the folks at the Alamo counter that which we tell you
here as the basis of why you are picking up the car when you are picking up
the car?

Old April 20th, 2010, 10:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jimmy

"Lawrence Akutagawa" wrote:
"Jimmy" wrote:
What happens if you're late picking up a rental car, for which you
have an unpaid reservation with a very low guaranteed rate?

If it is Alamo in which you are most interested, why not pick up the phone
right now and ask the folks at Alamo? *Why ask us here?

[and so forth]

If you don't know the answer, why did you spend time writing that
whole paragraph?

I probably will call Alamo. But personal experiences, about Alamo as
well as other companies, are also useful, both for me, as well as
anyone who searches for this issue in the future.

Jimmy
Old April 21st, 2010, 07:24 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

"Jimmy" wrote in message
"Lawrence Akutagawa" wrote:
"Jimmy" wrote:
What happens if you're late picking up a rental car, for which you
have an unpaid reservation with a very low guaranteed rate?

If it is Alamo in which you are most interested, why not pick up the phone
right now and ask the folks at Alamo? Why ask us here?

[and so forth]

If you don't know the answer, why did you spend time writing that
whole paragraph?

I probably will call Alamo. But personal experiences, about Alamo as
well as other companies, are also useful, both for me, as well as
anyone who searches for this issue in the future.

Jimmy

*****
The issue that I posed, just in case you miss it, has nothing to do with
whether or not I know the answer. Instead, the issue is why you turn to us
here for an answer rather than to the Alamo folks, given that you are most
interested in Alamo. What makes you think that we here are more
knowledgeable about Alamo policies regarding late pickup than the Alamo
folks themselves are? You going to answer that question?

Old April 21st, 2010, 10:01 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Binyamin Dissen

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 13:06:54 -0700 (PDT) Jimmy
wrote:

:What happens if you're late picking up a rental car, for which you
:have an unpaid reservation with a very low guaranteed rate?

:Let's say I have a car reserved at noon on a Friday, for two days. If
:I pick up the car at 4 pm Friday, would they:
:1. Honor the rate, and set the return time to 4 pm Sunday
:2. Honor the rate, but I'd have to bring it back at noon Sunday
:or
:3. Make me pay the much higher walk-up rate

:I made the reservation several weeks ago. If I search again for the
:later pickup time, or try to modify the existing reservation, I'd get
:a rate that's more than double my reserved rate. So if there's some
:flexibility in pickup times, I'd like to keep my reservation and just
:show up late.

:I'm most interested in Alamo's policies, but I'd also like to know
:about the other big companies.

My experience has been (2). Of course, with all the nickel and diming
nowadays, that may have changed.

P.S. With Alamo it is quite likely that you will be in line for a ho

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old April 21st, 2010, 04:24 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jimmy

"Lawrence Akutagawa" wrote:
The issue that I posed, just in case you miss it, has nothing to do with
whether or not I know the answer. *Instead, the issue is why you turn to us
here for an answer rather than to the Alamo folks, given that you are most
interested in Alamo. *

Companies often have unofficial grace periods and other customer
courtesies that aren't part of their published rules. For example,
people have discussed Southwest's flat tire rule, where if you arrive
less than 2 hours late for a flight for a good reason, they'll let you
take the next flight at no extra cost, even though the rules state
otherwise.

It's quite possible that the people who answer the 800 number will say
something is forbidden, when in fact the employees on the ground allow
it.

That's why I'm interested in people's first-hand experience. In fact,
two other posters *did* have just the information I was looking for,
so asking this question here was a good idea.

Happy trolling,
Jimmy
Old April 21st, 2010, 06:47 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Jimmy Geldburg:
What happens if you're late picking up a rental car, for which you
have an unpaid reservation with a very low guaranteed rate?

Let's say I have a car reserved at noon on a Friday, for two days. If
I pick up the car at 4 pm Friday, would they:
1. Honor the rate, and set the return time to 4 pm Sunday
2. Honor the rate, but I'd have to bring it back at noon Sunday
or
3. Make me pay the much higher walk-up rate

There's also

4. Have no cars available because they already assumed you weren't
coming and rented the last one to someone else.

I have no idea at what point that's likely to happen, but whatever their
policy is on the rate, you should at least telephone them -- preferably,
at the specific location where you're picking it up -- as soon as you know
you're going to be hours late.
--
Mark Brader "We can get ideas even from a clever man." ...
Toronto "Yes, I think you can. Even ideas you should

Old April 21st, 2010, 07:06 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jimmy

Binyamin Dissen wrote:
Jimmy wrote:
:1. Honor the rate, and set the return time to 4 pm Sunday
:2. Honor the rate, but I'd have to bring it back at noon Sunday
:or
:3. Make me pay the much higher walk-up rate

My experience has been (2). Of course, with all the nickel and diming
nowadays, that may have changed.

In another forum, several people said (1) is what they're supposed to
do. Was yours an unpaid reservation, or was it prepaid?

P.S. With Alamo it is quite likely that you will be in line for a ho

(I assume you meant to say "hour".

Jimmy