Some advice req - New York and Florida

Old December 15th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Pomeroy3

New Jersey is across the Hudson River from NYC. Six Flags Great Adventure in
Jackson NJ is probably about 1 hour from NYC. There should be direct buses
available from the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan

..Whats in NY in terms of theme parks - i mean if i am in NY city how far is
NJ? How many theme parks are accessible?

Susie Q
Old December 15th, 2004, 11:06 PM
mo

"Hatunen" wrote in message

Yield instead of Give Way

School crossing signs are different.

No Passing instead of round sign with two vehicles that means No
Overtaking

dont worry - i dont give way, or stop for schoolkids

Old December 15th, 2004, 11:51 PM
Brian Wickham

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:21:35 -0000, "mo" wrote:

Whats in NY in terms of theme parks - i mean if i am in NY city how far is
NJ? How many theme parks are accessible?

I prefer NY as we can spend all week checking out touristy things...

how can i persuade my friend that NY is the way?

The beaches in Florida may not be what your friends expect. Generally
there is no surf and the water is bath-water warm.

The beaches of New Jersey and Long Island are among the best in the
world. In September the Atlantic has warmed up a bit and there is
always a chance of good surf due to hurricanes out at sea. But even
when the surf is low it is five times rougher than Florida. When I
was 21 we lived for body-surfing weekends in September. The weather
is still like summer and after Labor Day the little kids are all gone.

The Jersey beaches are more than a day trip if you aren't driving.
There is a Long Island RR package for a quick day trip to Jones Beach
on Long Island but beware, Jones is a straight laced place. You can
take a subway ("A" train) to Rockaway. If you do then stay on to
Beach 116 Street. I would avoid Coney Island if your friends want to
get in the water. Coney faces Lower New York Bay and hardly ever gets
the good surf. But Coney offers other treats such as amusement park
rides.

But when they get a look at NYC they may forget about going to the
beach.

Brian Wickham

Old December 15th, 2004, 11:59 PM
Hatunen

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:24:02 -0800, "PeterL"
wrote:

Our road signs are in English.

But not UK English; some translation may be required.

Speed limits may be the most obvious one, as ours is in miles and yours is
in KM.

Yield instead of Give Way

School crossing signs are different.

No Passing instead of round sign with two vehicles that means No
Overtaking

Etc.

Old December 16th, 2004, 02:22 AM
Juliana L Holm

While not a theme park, Coney Island is probably something you should not miss.

Julie

--
Julie
**********

Old December 16th, 2004, 04:31 AM
Pan

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:59:11 GMT, Rita
wrote:

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:36:10 -0000, "mo" wrote:

Hi
Travellingto the USA in september next year.

I wanna goto New York and do some touristy things but my friend wants to
goto the beaches of Florida.

One thing we both wanna do is go to a couple of killer theme parks

Anyone recommend an area in Florida that has beaches but has a coupel of
theme parks close by (i.e somewhere you can go in a day and back)

Are these many large theme parks around the NY area? (i am guessing there
are no beaches?)

New York City is in itself a theme park. And it is all real.

All of it is real except for the area around Times Square, that is.
[smirk]

[snip]
There are beaches adjacent to New York City, on Long Island. Jones Beach
is one. Whether it is open in September, I don't know. Labor Day pretty
much marks the end of the beach season here, at least so far as life guards
and beach amenities are concerned.

Also the New Jersey shore (Sandy Hook, etc.), and further out, off
Long Island, is Fire Island. I was there this Labor Day weekend, and
the surf was pretty heavy from the remains of one of the hurricanes
that hit Florida. But it was beautiful!

Mosquito repellent is highly recommended if you plan on being at Fire
Island at twilight.

St. Petersburg and Clearwater in Florida have nice beaches

[snip]

Sarasota, too.

Getting back to New York, Coney Island is a good idea. Great view from
the top of the Wonder Wheel, and for those who like rollercoasters,
there's the Cyclone. I happen to hate rollercoasters. [laugh]

If you really want to go to a theme park, have a look at the links on
this page:

http://dir.yahoo.com/Regional/U_S__S...d_Theme_Parks/

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old December 16th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Auntie Em

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:36:10 -0000, "mo" wrote:

Hi
Travellingto the USA in september next year.

I wanna goto New York and do some touristy things but my friend wants to
goto the beaches of Florida.

One thing we both wanna do is go to a couple of killer theme parks

Anyone recommend an area in Florida that has beaches but has a coupel of
theme parks close by (i.e somewhere you can go in a day and back)

Are these many large theme parks around the NY area? (i am guessing there
are no beaches?)

http://www.coneyislandpark.com

One of the best of the best.

Em