Some advice req - New York and Florida

Old December 16th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Pan

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:50:15 +0000 (UTC), Juliana L Holm
wrote:

mo wrote:

Coney Island is a New York neighborhood where the Coney Island
amusement park is located. The New York Aquarium is adjacent to
the amusement park. There is a beach and boardwalk that connects
Coney Island to the neighborhood known as Brighton Beach.

that doesnt look hardcore enough - we want somwhere that has rides similar
to Alton towers in the UK but bigger and scarier!

Six Flags has one is Darien Lake, Buffalo - how far is that from the main
area of NY?

Far, maybe 4 hours.

[snip]

That's Buffalo, New York? If so, you'd have to travel at over 100
miles per hour to get there in 4 hours.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.

Old December 17th, 2004, 01:17 AM
JamesStep

New York also has beach access...

I believe the original poster said the trip will be in September.
If it's early in the month, the weather should be fine for beach
activities in the New York area, but if it's later in the month it
might be getting a little cool.

Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-

Old December 17th, 2004, 05:19 AM
Hatunen

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 07:21:13 GMT, Brian K
wrote:

In Miami Beach South Beach IS the theme park. There may be no Space
Mountain but lots of bikini clad "amusements"

Both male and female..

for young 21 yo guys to
dream about...and maybe more.

Depending on what you dream about.

Old December 17th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Auntie Em

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:47:28 -0000, "mo" wrote:

"Rita" wrote in message
.. .

Coney Island is a New York neighborhood where the Coney Island
amusement park is located. The New York Aquarium is adjacent to
the amusement park. There is a beach and boardwalk that connects
Coney Island to the neighborhood known as Brighton Beach.

that doesnt look hardcore enough - we want somwhere that has rides similar
to Alton towers in the UK but bigger and scarier!

Maybe not, but Coney Island has tradition, it has history, it has
ambience which, sadly not many theme parks in this country have.
You're not very old are you?

Em
Be careful what you wish for....

Old December 17th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Icono Clast

[NOTE: This is cross-posted to rec.roller-coaster.
If you choose to return to the original subject, please delete that
group from your reply.]

mo wrote:
that doesnt look hardcore enough -

Generally speaking, "theme" parks don't have hardcore rides. If you
think Coney Island's "Cyclone" isn't hardco

Icono Clast Sep 16 1999, 12:00 am
Newsgroups: rec.roller-coaster
Subject: Ribs & Rollercoasters.....

Robert Vaccaro wrote:
I'm sitting here with three fractured ribs,

You have my empathy. I cracked a rib in a motorcycle accident; the
Coney Island Cyclone braked me into an iron bar hard enough to crack
a rib; a wet ride in Arlington cracked my sternum. Not fun stuff.

Why aren't all wooden coaster trains richly upholstered

In my youth, all of them were! has nicely
upholstered trains similar to the old ones. They're very nice and
comfortable but still don't have hold-on places.

mo wrote:
"Rita" wrote:
Coney Island is a New York neighborhood where the Coney Island
amusement park is located.

The "Cyclone" is at AstroLand.

we want somwhere that has rides similar to Alton towers in the UK but
bigger and scarier!

Aw, c'mon. Those are among the mildest rides on the planet. "Oblivion"
is certainly interesting and the terrain steel-coaster's theming is
excellent, but the rides aren't much. I wasn't impressed with Blackpool
Pleasure Beach, either, but "Grand National" was closed the day I was
there. The hyper there has one trick and it's over. Dullsville.

[Darien Lake] I mean that has ride like Superman which look awesome.

It's a nice ride but it can't compare to Riverside Amusement Park's that
isn't very far from New York.
Superman: Ride of Steel: http://shorterlink.com/?W15HVK
Don't let the name fool you; even though it's a steel-coaster, this one
isn't like the others of the same name.

But, for a real roller-coaster:
Shivering Timbers: http://makeashorterlink.com/?U28A23C0A
Unfortunately, it's in Michigan. Many people think "Tonnere de Zeus" is
as good but I don't.

what other large theme park companies are there in the USA?

You should avoid any and all such companies that have more than one
venue. What they're doing these days is building duplicate rides,
sometimes changing the name. You travel great distances and spend
lots of money for exactly the same thing you have at home. My first
experience of this was visiting DisneyWorld that was little different
from DisneyLand. I was furious that I'd allowed myself to be so con'd.
The other Disney venues are probably much the same.

Universal Studios in Orlando, however, is a wonderful exception. If one
must choose but one "theme" park, that would be my enthusiastic
recommendation.
A roller-coaster freak in San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old December 17th, 2004, 01:09 PM
mo

news:1103284377.e127bee9cd4fadc04464e4e62092a9e4@t eranews...

mo wrote:
that doesnt look hardcore enough -

Generally speaking, "theme" parks don't have hardcore rides. If you
think Coney Island's "Cyclone" isn't hardco

but do i wanna travel all the way round the world and then just go on one
hardcore ride in one day when i can go on maybe 4 or 5 pretty good ones.

Old December 17th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Dave

Hi just to say UK speed limits are in MPH not KMPH please don't lump us in
with the rest of Europe.

In my experiance of driving in the US (LA and Orange County) it is a far
easier place than parts of europe, the road signs are clear, and the wrong
side of the road thing is just not an issue because of all the multi lane
roads.
One tip is to do a Google on driving in the USA and read some of the local
driving laws. eg. in most of the US you and turn right on a red light (there
are normaly no filter lights).
One other thing check the weather before you hire an open top when I was in
LA it was 40C and had to keep it closed most of the day.
"PeterL" wrote in message

"Hatunen" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:17:40 -0800, "PeterL"
wrote:

"mo" wrote in message

"Rita" wrote in message
news
St. Petersburg and Clearwater in Florida have nice beaches and Tampa

is
a hop, skip and jump from St. Pete and has a couple of theme parks.
Busch Gardens and some kind of wild animal park -- others will

correct
me
if I am wrong. And you could drive up the Coast to Tarpon Springs

where
there are fake sponge divers and good Greek food. You'll have to

have a
car in Florida to get around at all, but not in New York City.

How old do you have to be to rent cars? I will be 21 - but I aint too
confident about driving on the other side of the road (I live in the

UK)
and
I probably wont understand all the road signs...so I dont really wanna
risk
it!

21 is the age.

It may not be the age. The car rental firm may have a different
idea as to the required age. Best to make specific inquiry.

Our road signs are in English.

But not UK English; some translation may be required.

Speed limits may be the most obvious one, as ours is in miles and yours is
in KM.

The roads here are broad and
relatively easy to drive in. Try booking your car from the UK.