Electricity Connectors and Voltages

Old August 20th, 2004, 02:16 PM
nightjar

"Alan" wrote in message
news
Hi All

Haven't been to some of those groups for a while:-)

Some of you will have seen this, but this is probably the best web-site
I've seen for a comparison and description of what you'll need for
connectors when you travel.

Electrical Connectors

http://www.topline.tv/lang/electrical/plugs.html

If you are travelling Europe, those variations in Switzerland and Italy
can catch you out. The two prong non-earth European plug will fit
either, but the Italian and Swiss earthed plugs will not fit a European
socket.

It is also misleading in showing only one 'European' style. In France, the
Schuko style is mostly used in the north, while the south uses a plug with a
separate offset earth pin, positioned about where the screw is in the lower
of the two sockets shown. Travel plugs will usually accommodate both, as
will plugs bought in France, but it is not a good idea to rely on Schuko
fittings bought elsewhere to work in the south.

If you are coming my way, note that the Australian socket shown is for a
15A plug with a higher (wider?) earth slot, the 10A earth is the same
height as the active and neutral.

As already noted, it is now illegal to supply domestic equipment in the UK
unless the plug has already been fitted (usually as a moulded-on item).
Plugs will usually now be found to carry the number BS 1363A, which means
they are made from a flexible material and are less prone to damage than
those made to BS1363.

Colin Bignell

Old August 20th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Miguel Cruz

Mark Hewitt wrote:
The USA one is misleading, implying there is a top connector for all their
plugs, when most of the plugs and sockets I have encountered only have two
pins.

Really, most? I only see them in very old homes with ancient wiring. In the
last 10 years I don't think I've seen 2-prong socket at all. However many
low-current devices (lamps, radios, etc.) do have 2-prong plugs.

miguel

Old August 20th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Ronald Olsson

2-prong socket doesnīt always mean "old ancient wiring houses". Earlier some
countries made a separation between kitchen areas, wet areas as bathroom
and living room, bedrooms. Kitchen areas and wet areas always did need a
wall socket with earth while other areas didnīt need that. Now a days itīs
more common that all apartments and houses does has an earth-fault detection
device and therefore all sockets must have an earth connection and all plugs
must be 3-plung plugs. Only devices with extra insulation does have a flat
2-plung plug without earth.
Ronald

Old August 20th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Frank Slootweg

"nightjar" nightjar@ insert_my_surname_here.uk.com wrote:

"Alan" wrote in message
[...]

So you found that "Europe" does not include (Italy, Switzerland (sp?)
and) France, and that suprises you exactly why? :-) Why would their
electrical systems be anymore accomodating than their political ones?

[Sorry, I couldn't resist. Feel free to ignore/flame/praise/whatever
me.]

Old August 20th, 2004, 05:53 PM
TNSAF

JamesStep wrote:
ALL plugs are two pronged and rectangular,
not rounded, in the US

The standard 120-volt outlets in the U.S. used to have
two vertical slots, but at some point in time they started
adding a 3rd opening -- a D-shaped hole that accepts a
round plug -- as a safety measure for grounding purposes
in case the electrical device plugged into it is defective.

In older buildings you'll still find 2-hole outlets, but
in newer buildings you'll find 3-hole outlets.

If a plug only has 2 prongs, it'll still plug just fine into a
3-opening outlet; you just won't get the added safety of
a ground. However new appliances that use more power
now came with 3-prong plugs, and can't be plugged into
one of the older 2-prong outlets unless you use an
adapter (which can be purchased for about a dollar at
any hardware store).

Not entirely true... some newer appliances and electric tools have dropped
the third ground pin due to advances in technology, some only utilizing the
flared out wider prong on one side to ensure correct polarization when
inserted into the wall outlet (provided it the outlet was wired correctly
when installed).

BTW - if you choose to buy a cheap adapter some have a green wire coming out
that should be grounded to something like the metal plumbing (copper cold
water pipe). A more expensive adapter probably grounds the 3rd. line to the
common side of the two wire electric system.

Old August 20th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Mark Hewitt

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
Mark Hewitt wrote:
The USA one is misleading, implying there is a top connector for all

their
plugs, when most of the plugs and sockets I have encountered only have

two
pins.

Really, most? I only see them in very old homes with ancient wiring. In

the
last 10 years I don't think I've seen 2-prong socket at all. However many
low-current devices (lamps, radios, etc.) do have 2-prong plugs.

Hi Miguel,

Admittedly I was only in the USA for 2 weeks, in Seattle and Washington DC,
and saw lots of 2 prong plugs (probably several dozen) and no three prong
plugs at all.