San Diego - best beaches? / UCSD

Old August 24th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Felix Oscar

Default San Diego - best beaches? / UCSD

What are the easiest beaches in SD? Easy parking, I just want to go
there and casually park and walk on the beach.

Where's the main drag for UCSD kids?

Thanks
Old August 24th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Carmen L. Abruzzi

Felix Oscar wrote:

What are the easiest beaches in SD? Easy parking, I just want to go
there and casually park and walk on the beach.

Finding parking will be the main problem. If you get there
early enough, Torrey Pines or La Jolla Shores beaches will
have parking right next to the beach. Both will be crowded
in summer, and they are the closest easily accessible
beaches to UCSD. The UCSD campus is 300 feet above the
(unofficially nude) beach on a mesa, there are several
hazardous trails down and one paved road, but you have to
know where to find these. You can walk there from TP or LJS
at either end.

Torrey Pines is the more scenic one, you can also get
parking in the state park there, but you'll have to pay.
There are two lots, one right on the beach and another in
the marsh area, accessible from Carmel Valley Road. Can
also park along Carmel Valley Road if there's room.

Silver Strand, south of Coronado, is a beach that usually
has plenty of parking, but isn't as scenic. Pacific Beach
and Ocean Beach don't have parking near the beach, only in
the adjoining neighborhood, and there might be time limits
without a local permit, I don't remember.

Where's the main drag for UCSD kids?

There isn't any. They leave campus on the weekend for more
exciting locales. Or stay in their dorms and study.

SDSU is another story, but I'm not familiar with the area.

Try Pacific Beach for clubs, bars and such.