NYC Where to Stay?

Old August 24th, 2004, 09:02 PM
tom

Default NYC Where to Stay?

Fist time visitor to NYC. Looking for suggestions on 1)best area to
stay & 2)any specific hotels would be great too. Budget is $200-$300
per night, time Frame is latter part of October.

I would define our tastes by a recent trip to San Fran. We stayed in
a smaller boutique hotel, had an excellent Concierge/service, but we
don't require someone to turn down our bed, room service, laundry,
etc. Not to say we would rule out a large chain hotel yet if its a
"tie" we would go with the boutique. I guess you could say we want to
"experience" NYC, but will admit want to see/do all the typical
touristy things as well.

As well as location, other REALLY important consideration in a hotel
is cleanliness and safety. I've done some research on the Inn at 23rd
which seems but its in Chelsea which means I'm not sure what to me.

Thanks in advance for the help. If I can return the favor with advice
regarding travel to LA or San Fran then give a shout.
Old August 24th, 2004, 11:46 PM
Alan

I'm usually in NYC about 2x/month on business. My current favorite
is The Kitano at 38th & Park. http://www.kitano.com. Large,
beautiful rooms with large marble baths and a great location a few
blocks from Grand Central. Caters a lot to Japanese biz guys and the
service is impeccable. Rooms can usually be had at around $260/night
by checking the web site for specials. Frere Jacques, a great French
bistro, is just around the corner.

Another choice that I like is the Park South at 28th & Lexington.
http://www.parksouth.com. Rooms are more typical of the NYC closet
variety but very clean, comfortable and the bathrooms are nice.
About half a block from the subway so it's ultra-convenient. Rates
run from about $200 - $260. Again, check their web site for
specials.

Old August 25th, 2004, 12:57 AM
Dennis Lewis

On 24 Aug 2004 13:02:36 -0700, (tom) wrote:

... I would define our tastes by a recent trip to San Fran. We stayed in
a smaller boutique hotel, had an excellent Concierge/service, but we
don't require someone to turn down our bed, room service, laundry ...

In July I stayed at the Crowne Plaza - United Nations on East 42nd
Street. Most guidebooks describe it as being a boutique-style hotel,
and the rooms are quite charming with sort of a "Paris can-can" feel.
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hd/nycun

The hotel was formerly known as the Hotel Tudor. The building was
erected around 1932 to be the hotel for the Tudor City project.
http://www.aviewoncities.com/nyc/tudorcity.htm

My room overlooked 42nd Street. There are only about 6 or 8 rooms on
each floor, so with two elevators there was never a wait to get from
the room to the street. (As the hotel's Web site notes, it does have
300 rooms, but the rooms are divided into two "towers," or sections,
each with its own elevator banks.) The housekeeping staff is small,
but they did an excellent job.

Grand Central is the closest subway station, though if you're taking
the 7 line you can enter and exit the subway via a station entrance
that opens directly onto 42nd Street east of Grand Central.

Old August 25th, 2004, 01:06 AM
Dennis Lewis

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 23:57:50 GMT, I wrote:

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hd/nycun

... The housekeeping staff is small,
but they did an excellent job.

After posting the message I realized, "that really is a weird
sentence." What I meant was there appeared to be only one woman doing
the housekeeping detail in my section of the hotel each day while I
was there. (The last time I was in NY I stayed at the Comfort Inn -
Central Park West on West 71st Street, a hotel that I would say is of
comparable size as the Crowne Plaza UN, and each morning there were
several "housekeepers" on each floor.)

Old August 25th, 2004, 04:03 AM
Ann B.

[...]

The Chelsea area is esthetically very appealing. If you like SF you'll
like Chelsea. It (and the hotel) you mention are well located to get
just about anywhere in Manhattan, with Greenwich Village, Soho, &
Meatpacking districts being walkable. It's not a heavy corporate
area, rather, lovely residential streets with loads of restaurants,
art galleries, shopping, and Chelsea Piers - hugeathletic complex.
The hotel is right next door to one subway line, and a one block walk
east or west brings you to other lines. Theatre district, Empire State
Bldg, Times Sq are all walking distance, it you enjoy walking I'd
recommend the area. Have walked past the hotel many times; looks
unassuming but nice. Don't know anyone who's stayerd there. If you
take it - ask for a quiet room as it is on a busy intersection.

Enjoy your visit!

Cheers,
Ann

To email: replace 'REMOVE' with 'b' in email address.