NY TIMES: Economy Class Austerity

Old April 25th, 2006, 02:33 PM posted to rec.travel.air

Default NY TIMES: Economy Class Austerity

Recalls that 1960s or 1970s tv commercial about steerage.
A Southern Airline commercial (?).

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/25/bu...rtner=homepage

Old April 26th, 2006, 02:09 PM posted to rec.travel.air

This allegation of a
standing-room-future
is their numero uno e-mailed today, so there is more than a little
concern.

Old May 1st, 2006, 01:23 AM posted to rec.travel.air

I was horrified at first when I read an article about this (somewhere
other than the NY Times) but if we are talking about a short flight and
I would save enough money I would consider it; after all, I stand up on
the train for close to an hour commuting to work every morning. I'd
rather spend my money on a nice hotel than on a seat I will only be
sitting in for a short time.

Carol
Editor - Lowfares.com
http://www.lowfares.com

Old May 1st, 2006, 03:54 PM posted to rec.travel.air

Looking at that TV report, I can only wonder at how these
media idiots get information mixed up!

IF Airbus (not an airline) pitched the SRO idea for any airplane,
it was not the A380. In the recent evacuation test of this
model, over 800 passengers were seated, in an all-economy
configuration, before they exited the plane.

European and US aircraft licensing authorities decide what the
maximum number of passengers can be for the various models
in use. There is also a US rule that requires one cabin crew
member per 50 passengers - this can vary in other countries.

The airlines that have announced their plans for the A380 so
far, expect to be using them on long intercontinental flights as
their premium service. Qantas, for example, is expecting to fly
out of Los Angeles non-stop to Australia with seating for less
than 500.

It may be that a Chinese or Indian domestic low-fare carrier
had asked Airbus to look at a straphanger A320. Current
configurations have a maximum of 180 passengers, so if a
licensing authority could be persuaded to allow (say) 240
passengers aboard, 40 boards for 3 passengers to lean
against could be placed on each side of the plane instead
of 30 rows of 3 seats. I make that a spacing of about 22
inches between rows! Pretty good!

I can't really see the idea catching on, though!