India maps

Old May 30th, 2008, 05:15 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

Default India maps

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
i...

"William Black" kirjoitti
.. .

More over, both tools support
databases which locate everything a tourist wants to see and experience.
And a lot which is not of common interest. Those maps are scarce which
generate approriate routes between any given points and provide guidance
at every turning point. However, GPS navigation is still a great help in
India.

And how do you utilise Google Maps when travelling in India?

The place isn't exactly brimming with free WiFi and although Tata does
have CDMA mobile computing you can't get it unless you're a resident.

Well, I guess there are "internet cafes" here and there in India. One can
also do some homework prior to a visit to India.

That isn't actually what GPS is for.

And as I said, the street names on Google Maps in India are often wrong

Plus the driver looking at your laptop when he's driving is a really
great way to die if you're in India

Car navigation can be a problem. However, few tourists drive a car in
India (no comprehensive set of insurance policies are available for
foreign leisure motorists in India). Still, for an ordinary tourists GPS
navigation can be a great help when utilized properly.

No it can't, no maps...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old May 30th, 2008, 05:30 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Bob Myers

"William Black" wrote in message
Car navigation can be a problem. However, few tourists drive a car in
India (no comprehensive set of insurance policies are available for
foreign leisure motorists in India). Still, for an ordinary tourists GPS
navigation can be a great help when utilized properly.

No it can't, no maps...

Sure it can - that's part of the "utilized properly" qualifier.

I carry a GPS with me everywhere I go (any one of
several, but most often a Garmin GPSMap 76). Simply
having the locations of various destinations (hotels,
markets, tourist sites, etc.) programmed into the thing is
a good thing. Knowing at least distance and direction to
your destination IS a great help even if you don't have
an accurate or detailed map of the area. And you
generally can get location information through a search
of the web coupled with use of Google Earth.

I was able to get to a destination in China once (and
in time for a business appointment!) even though my
taxi driver was obviously hopelessly lost, simply by
showing him the simple "distance and bearing" display
on the GPS. The notion of a compass, and a display
showing "distance to" in km, generally transcends the
language barrier.

Bob M.

Old May 30th, 2008, 06:07 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

"Srki" wrote in message
William Black wrote:

You can get a map showing the roads between the cities, but the city
maps are invariably useless.

That's basicly what I need because I want to stay there for a month or
maybe longer , not in the same city and i need some kind of map just to
plan a train rides, romaning city to city it's good to know city names,
atleast for booking a train ticket.

OK, when you turn up there'll be kids selling maps of India that are about
30 by 18 inches in a tube.

They've got most of the roads and all of the major town and cities on them
and will cost you about 150/-

You may even be able to get one on Amazon, the map data is from the Indian
government and is pretty accurate.

The 'Lonely Planet Indian and Bangladesh Travel Atlas' is the same map for
about three times the price...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old May 30th, 2008, 06:08 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
i...

"Srki" kirjoitti
Srki wrote:
I am looking for sam booklet map of india so it can be used page by
page, any recomendations? It's also good if it has samo tourist place
briefings but not necessery.
any amazon recomendations?

Thanx
S.

It's lika an afternoon gossip when i just wanted a sugestion. How do i
use google earth in india anyway, looking for a cyber bar every time i
need it. Some camera, objectives and a laptop i enough, i just wanted
some paper format map for a rough guide.

What about printing google maps after proper scaling and panning?.......

So you're mad then...

I was wondering...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old May 30th, 2008, 07:43 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"William Black" kirjoitti
.. .

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
i...

"William Black" kirjoitti
.. .

More over, both tools support
databases which locate everything a tourist wants to see and
experience. And a lot which is not of common interest. Those maps are
scarce which generate approriate routes between any given points and
provide guidance at every turning point. However, GPS navigation is
still a great help in India.

And how do you utilise Google Maps when travelling in India?

The place isn't exactly brimming with free WiFi and although Tata does
have CDMA mobile computing you can't get it unless you're a resident.

Well, I guess there are "internet cafes" here and there in India. One can
also do some homework prior to a visit to India.

That isn't actually what GPS is for.

And why not? I am puzzled.

And as I said, the street names on Google Maps in India are often wrong

Street names aren't everything. You put too much weight on proper (any)
spelling of street names. Most often it is very helpful to know the location
of a desired destination (saved in the plotter) relative to your location at
any given time (that's what the plotters are there for in the first place).
Then you just follow the arrow.... For instance in last summer I navigated
in Istanbul, Antalya, the UAE, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan and so worth. My plotter
was a great help even if no streetwise maps were available (well, about the
UAE there is but I have not a copy).

Plus the driver looking at your laptop when he's driving is a really
great way to die if you're in India

Car navigation can be a problem. However, few tourists drive a car in
India (no comprehensive set of insurance policies are available for
foreign leisure motorists in India). Still, for an ordinary tourists GPS
navigation can be a great help when utilized properly.

No it can't, no maps...

A few examples about GPS navigation in India:

A tourist, Fjodor by name, was given a GPS plotter as a Christmas present by
his father Yevgeni and mother Tatjana. He has no detailed maps installed
during his first trip to the city of Jaipur, India but only the most sketchy
"World Map". Prior to the journey, he makes a few decisions for notations.

First he decides to use a "universal" datum of WGS 84 because his gadget
supports it as well as most of the external projections (google tools for
instance) he may transfer to his plotter. Second he decides to use decimal
vectors to define a point on a map very much for the same reason he did the
first decision. He further decides for the notation of a point that the
first scalar describes a latitude and the latter scalar a longitude.
Furthermore, positive latitudes project a point in the northern hemisphere
while the negative figures do the trick for any point in the southern
hemisphere. Similarly positive values are set for points east from the zero
longitude whereas negative values are reserved for longitudes west from the
zero longitude.

So, the exit point from the Sanganer airport terminal building is roughly at
(26.82166, 75.80275). There are supposedly several exit points, so Fjodor
arbitrarily picked a point pretty close to one of them. He also decides that
mantissa of five (5) digits will suffice for appropriate accuracy. Less
significant portions will be truncated. In the case a point is not too
accurately defined and the true mantissa is shorter than five digits then
the mantissa will be forced to the length of five digits by padding it by
less significant zeros (actually they aren't significant at all, so the
process shouldn't be confused with rounding).

This point of the airport location hardly is important but because Fjodor
has an entry for the fixed POIs as "airport" he gives it a value as above.

He takes a taxi to his hotel. Hotel Rambagh Palace on Bhawani Singh Road
(spelling has been good this far?) at (26.89596, 75.80838) which is a taxi
stand for visitors (or so I let you believe). Fjodor saves this point when
he gets out from the cab. This is an important address when coming back to
bed after a few beers in town. He did save the locations of those watering
holes to visit them next day and the day after that and.....

Naturally Fjodor is after denkmäler more than anything else. He knows that
there is

Amber Palace. He has saved the location (pointing at one of the ticket
booths): (26.92327, 75.80315).
City Palace Museum at (26.92564, 75.82413).
..
..
..
Positions of any interest in town can be saved in this way. Fjodor found
places. He didn't find the cow manure on the street too attractive though.
He further decides that whenever the screen of his plotter is panning, the
track is up. Just a habit. He could choose otherwise (the north is up, for
instance as projected in most of the "conventional maps"). Now then, there
is a straight line drawn between Fjodor's whereabouts and the destination at
all times (no detailed maps for orientation, darn!). When the declination is
zero (0) (the straight line is pointing right on middle of the top, Fjodor
is approaching the destination on the shortest path). When the relative
declination is 90 degrees, Fjodor turns to the right at next corner. When
the declination 270 degrees, Fjodor turns to the left at next corner. When
the declination is 180 degrees, Fjodor knows that it is time to turn around
(this happens seldom though). Not all city grids are regularly rectangle but
that typically doesn't complicate things much.

Fjodor is a smart kid. He can profit a lot having a GPS plotter in India.
His parents are smart too. That's why they gave as a present what they gave.

Old May 30th, 2008, 07:48 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

[...]

.
.
.
[...]

I have news.

I don't want to have to take a course in using a GPS tracking system on some
proprietary piece of hardware.

I want a box that shows a map.

You know, like the taxi drivers have...

That's all.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old May 30th, 2008, 07:58 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"William Black" kirjoitti
.. .

I have news.

I don't want to have to take a course in using a GPS tracking system on
some proprietary piece of hardware.

I want a box that shows a map.

You know, like the taxi drivers have...

That's all.

I proved that GPS is beneficial a tool in India. My representation was fine.
I am disappointed that you mostly ignored it.

Old May 30th, 2008, 08:21 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
i...

"William Black" kirjoitti
.. .

I have news.

I don't want to have to take a course in using a GPS tracking system on
some proprietary piece of hardware.

I want a box that shows a map.

You know, like the taxi drivers have...

That's all.

I proved that GPS is beneficial a tool in India. My representation was
fine. I am disappointed that you mostly ignored it.

I'm ignoring it because it's bonkers.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old May 30th, 2008, 08:38 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl[_3_]

Srki wrote:
I am looking for sam booklet map of india so it can be used page by
page, any recomendations? It's also good if it has samo tourist place
briefings but not necessery.
any amazon recomendations?

Thanx
S.

It's lika an afternoon gossip when i just wanted a sugestion. How do i
use google earth in india anyway, looking for a cyber bar every time i
need it. Some camera, objectives and a laptop i enough, i just wanted
some paper format map for a rough guide.

What about printing google maps after proper scaling and panning?.......

So you're mad then...

I was wondering...

Anyways ... Eicher publishes a perfectly good national road map of India,
regional road maps, and also do street directories of the five major cities.
Widely available in bookstores.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old May 30th, 2008, 08:54 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"William Black" kirjoitti
.. .

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
i...

"William Black" kirjoitti
.. .

I have news.

I don't want to have to take a course in using a GPS tracking system on
some proprietary piece of hardware.

I want a box that shows a map.

You know, like the taxi drivers have...

That's all.

I proved that GPS is beneficial a tool in India. My representation was
fine. I am disappointed that you mostly ignored it.

I'm ignoring it because it's bonkers.

You are projecting your own faults rather than my representation. Which is
if not excellent, very good anyways. It is generic. It works with all
general purpose plotters in market. The explanation may be a bit lengthy but
not unnecessarily so. The main points:

1. All plotters draw images (a very beneficial property)
2. All plotters tell on the screen their precise location
This makes them GPS devices.......
3. In all plotters positions of targets can be saved
4. You can always adjust the device to show the declination
between the direction you are advancing and the target

I demonstrated in the earlier text (which is most sane indeed) a device
which tells the direction (and effectively distance) to any destination.
Because directions are relative to a destination rather than some universal
object - shall we say the North - they are very easy to read on the maps
which don't support routing. When the direction is 90 degrees ("east", east
is east only when you are going to north) in clockwise unless one wants to
introduce negative directions which means that the destination is where the
straight line points to - on your right. Similarly when the straight line
(between you and the destination) points to left it means - yes, the
destination is right there. Whenever the declination is whether less than 90
degrees or more than 270 degrees, you are approaching the target. Otherwise
you drawing away.