GPS Devices

Old November 5th, 2009, 04:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
singlemalt

Default GPS Devices

Recently, during a car trip in France my son stated that on the next car
trip he was going to take a portable GPS device. I was thinking about
getting him one for Christmas but am a complete dunce about this sort of
thing. I would be interested in any information, experiences, etc regarding
such you may have to offer. Not only which product but what about the
software, ease of use, etc. Any help appreciated. TIA, J.

Old November 5th, 2009, 06:24 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 10:40:36 -0600, "singlemalt"
wrote:

Recently, during a car trip in France my son stated that on the next car
trip he was going to take a portable GPS device. I was thinking about
getting him one for Christmas but am a complete dunce about this sort of
thing. I would be interested in any information, experiences, etc regarding
such you may have to offer. Not only which product but what about the
software, ease of use, etc. Any help appreciated. TIA, J.

A TomTom is a good one.You can reach them via www.tomtom.com
Ton

Old November 5th, 2009, 06:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
singlemalt

wrote:

Recently, during a car trip in France my son stated that on the next car
trip he was going to take a portable GPS device. I was thinking about
getting him one for Christmas but am a complete dunce about this sort of
thing. I would be interested in any information, experiences, etc
regarding
such you may have to offer. Not only which product but what about the
software, ease of use, etc. Any help appreciated. TIA, J.

A TomTom is a good one.You can reach them via www.tomtom.com
Ton

Thanks, btw I failed to mention that I live in the US.

Old November 5th, 2009, 06:54 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 12:43:34 -0600, "singlemalt"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Recently, during a car trip in France my son stated that on the next car
trip he was going to take a portable GPS device. I was thinking about
getting him one for Christmas but am a complete dunce about this sort of
thing. I would be interested in any information, experiences, etc
regarding
such you may have to offer. Not only which product but what about the
software, ease of use, etc. Any help appreciated. TIA, J.

A TomTom is a good one.You can reach them via www.tomtom.com
Ton

Thanks, btw I failed to mention that I live in the US.

In www.tomtom.com you can choose for the US.
I use it myself and I am very content with it.
Ton

Old November 5th, 2009, 08:58 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

See Cnet for reviews: http://www.cnet.com/1770-5_1-0.html?...w&tag=srch%3Ba
Old November 5th, 2009, 09:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

PeterL wrote:
On Nov 5, 8:40 am, "singlemalt" wrote:
Recently, during a car trip in France my son stated that on the next
car trip he was going to take a portable GPS device. I was thinking
about getting him one for Christmas but am a complete dunce about
this sort of thing. I would be interested in any information,
experiences, etc regarding such you may have to offer. Not only
which product but what about the software, ease of use, etc. Any
help appreciated. TIA, J.

See Cnet for reviews:
http://www.cnet.com/1770-5_1-0.html?...w&tag=srch%3Ba

There are portables and there are hand-helds, and they are different beasts
in th GPS world. If you son will have a car, then a portable will be fine.
If he'll be hiking or bicycling, a hand-held will be more useful.

Whatever type and brand you choose, you may have to buy the software to
allow it to work in a different part of the world, and the level of detail
is sure to vary between regions.

Old November 5th, 2009, 11:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Don Kirkman[_2_]

It seems to me I heard somewhere that K wrote in article
:

PeterL wrote:
[...]

And if a high level of detail is not important, there are GPS
applications for smart phones these days, since many phones have GPS
built in. My golf app says it's accurate to less than five yards, but
it doesn't do Google maps with street information--but the built-in
navigation application shows my one-block street about 2.0 cm (around
an inch) with surrounding streets. It also gives voice directions.
Two drawbacks I've noticed: not enough volume in noisy circumstances,
and some phones have poor battery life between recharges.
--
Don Kirkman