South of the Border

Old September 26th, 2003, 02:56 AM
RVerDon

Default South of the Border

There is a truck stop/tourist trap somewhere in the southeast called South
of the Border or perhaps On the Border. Maybe on I-95? Can someone tell me
the correct name and location?

Don

Old September 26th, 2003, 03:03 AM
fishman

"RVerDon" wrote in message
nk.net...
There is a truck stop/tourist trap somewhere in the southeast called South
of the Border or perhaps On the Border. Maybe on I-95? Can someone tell

me
the correct name and location?

Don

South of the Border, with Pedro's Million Dollar Sombrero Tower and Cold
Drinks? It's on I-95 at the first interchange south of the North Carolina
border. Trust me, if you're on I-95, you WILL see a billboard every
half-mile or so.. Can't miss it - 20-foot tall flamingos and bears,
miniature golf course, big fireworks stand, gas station, souvenir shops,
hotel..........

Chris

Old September 27th, 2003, 02:19 AM
SP Cook

"fishman" wrote in message

"RVerDon" wrote in message

There is a truck stop/tourist trap somewhere in the southeast called South
of the Border or perhaps On the Border. Maybe on I-95? Can someone tell

me
the correct name and location?

South of the Border, with Pedro's Million Dollar Sombrero Tower and Cold
Drinks? It's on I-95 at the first interchange south of the North Carolina
border. Trust me, if you're on I-95, you WILL see a billboard every
half-mile or so.. Can't miss it - 20-foot tall flamingos and bears,
miniature golf course, big fireworks stand, gas station, souvenir shops,
hotel..........

Wonderful place. Delightfully tacky.

Along with the Wall Drug Store in Wall, SD, they are the last remnants
of the roadside tourist trap. I wonder how long before the PC crowd
zaps it.
Old September 27th, 2003, 02:56 AM
fishman

"SP Cook" wrote in message
om...

Wonderful place. Delightfully tacky.

Along with the Wall Drug Store in Wall, SD, they are the last remnants
of the roadside tourist trap. I wonder how long before the PC crowd
zaps it.

Wall Drug....I was there for breakfast in 1975....... How is it doing? It
was a Trivial Pursuit question - what sign is above the clock on the east
(?) wall of the Amsterdam train station.

Chris

Old September 27th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Jon Bell

In article ,
fishman wrote:

South of the Border, with Pedro's Million Dollar Sombrero Tower and Cold
Drinks? It's on I-95 at the first interchange south of the North Carolina
border.

South of NC's border with South Carolina, that is. ;-)

Trust me, if you're on I-95, you WILL see a billboard every
half-mile or so..

Yep, you'll know about the place long before you get there, no matter
which direction you're headed on I-95.

--
Jon Bell Presbyterian College
Old September 29th, 2003, 10:36 PM
Brian K

On 09/25/2003 9:56 PM RVerDon wrote:

There is a truck stop/tourist trap somewhere in the southeast called South
of the Border or perhaps On the Border. Maybe on I-95? Can someone tell me
the correct name and location?

Don

I've seen South of The Border many times it's off I-95 near Dillon NC.
I like South of The Border best as seen through the window.....of a
speeding car.

Trust me, this is not some place you want to see, unless you are looking
for a kitsch fest.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old September 30th, 2003, 01:39 AM
Harry Everhart

In article k.net,
Brian K wrote:

South of the Border is on I-95 on the border of NC and SC. there are
hotels - gambling - restaurants - junk stores - gas stations - plenty of
free parking - some rides - a tower to climb - all in a Mexican motif.
Old September 30th, 2003, 04:30 AM
Brian Wickham

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:36:01 GMT, Brian K
wrote:

I've seen South of The Border many times it's off I-95 near Dillon NC.
I like South of The Border best as seen through the window.....of a
speeding car.

Trust me, this is not some place you want to see, unless you are looking
for a kitsch fest

The late Jean Shepherd did a series of shows for New Jersey Public TV
back in the 1980s on one of his favorite topics, Slob Art. I believe
it was the first episode that featured South of The Border.

My wife and I stayed there one night just for the fun of it, but it
was no fun at all. The place is less than third rate in every aspect.
I should have known better as my father fell into the same trap when
we stopped there in 1956.

Brian Wickham
Old September 30th, 2003, 03:36 PM
MTV

Harry Everhart wrote:
In article k.net,
Brian K wrote:

South of the Border is on I-95 on the border of NC and SC. there are
hotels - gambling - restaurants - junk stores - gas stations - plenty of
free parking - some rides - a tower to climb - all in a Mexican motif.

About the same as Wall Drug in S. Dakota, except for the Mexican bit.

MTV

Old September 30th, 2003, 07:33 PM
Deirdre Saoirse Moen

In article , MTV
wrote:

About the same as Wall Drug in S. Dakota, except for the Mexican bit.

I love Wall Drug.

--
_Deirdre http://deirdre.net
"Dogs may have kept us company on the hunt, but it was the cats who