Drive license

Old August 25th, 2004, 03:52 AM
Stephen Dailey

Default Drive license

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:42:04 +0200, Xavier wrote:

Hi friends!

I would like to know if my Spanish drive license is valid in the U.S or
should I ask for an international drive license? I've been told that any
European Union drive license is valid in the U.S but I would like to know
for sure.

Your driver's license should be valid as long as you're in the US as a
tourist. Depending on where you'll be in the US, it's likely that your
Spanish license will be understood. It would still be a good idea to get
an International Driver's License, which is a translation of your Spanish
license.

Sort of on-topic: Are EU countries standardizing their driver's licenses,
with multiple languages? Just curious.

===
Stephen Dailey
Shoreline, Washington USA

Old August 25th, 2004, 07:30 AM
Xavier

Sort of on-topic: Are EU countries standardizing their driver's licenses,
with multiple languages? Just curious.

Thanks for the info. I got the International Driving License to be sure that
there will be no problem.
About your question, the answer is that in 2005 or 2006 (I don't remember
which one) all the EU driving licenses will be unified.
If you have seen a EU driving license, its quite big. It's a sort of 3-page
pamphlet that folds to fit in a wallet.
The plans are to reduce it to a credit-card size license with a magnetic
bar.
About the languages (you know that's always a 'problem' in Europe) each
country will have the license in it's own language, but at least since all
the licenses will be equal, you'll have no problem in locating the data
you're looking for.

No country would resign to use it's own language (that's natural) and use
another's country language.

===
Stephen Dailey
Shoreline, Washington USA

Old August 25th, 2004, 05:22 PM
B Vaughan

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:52:20 -0700, "Stephen Dailey"
wrote:

Sort of on-topic: Are EU countries standardizing their driver's licenses,
with multiple languages? Just curious.

The EU has a new standard driver's license, but it doesn't have
multiple languages. Instead it uses a numbering scheme. For example,
my Italian license has on the left a EU flag with an I for Italy in
the center, my photo, and a band with the colors of the Italian flag.
To the right is "patente di guida" (driver's license) and "Repubblica
Italiana", which are the only language specific things on the front.
Below these is a numbered list which contains the following
information:

1. surname
2. given name
3. birthdate and birthplace
4. date of issue of license
5. date of expiry
7. (I think it's my signature)
8. address

On the back, there is a grid with graphics, numbers and letters, which
indicate what sort of vehicles I'm allowed to drive.

People who have the older-style license keep it until the next time
they need to replace it, which is not very often in Italy, as they
just put new stamps in the old booklet form license.
--------
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.

Old August 25th, 2004, 05:22 PM
B Vaughan

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:30:33 +0200, "Xavier"
wrote:

Sort of on-topic: Are EU countries standardizing their driver's licenses,
with multiple languages? Just curious.

If you have seen a EU driving license, its quite big. It's a sort of 3-page
pamphlet that folds to fit in a wallet.

I've never seen this type of license in Italy.

The plans are to reduce it to a credit-card size license with a magnetic
bar.

My license, which was issued in 1999 in Italy, is credit-card sized,
but doesn't have a magnetic strip. I described it in detail in another
posting in the this thread.

I assume you live in Spain. Maybe in some transitional period, before
the introduction of the magnetic strip, the licenses may be of
different formats as long as they have the same information at each
numbered item.
--------

Old August 25th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Keith Willshaw

wrote:

Sort of on-topic: Are EU countries standardizing their driver's

licenses,
with multiple languages? Just curious.

If you have seen a EU driving license, its quite big. It's a sort of

3-page
pamphlet that folds to fit in a wallet.

I've never seen this type of license in Italy.

The plans are to reduce it to a credit-card size license with a magnetic
bar.

My license, which was issued in 1999 in Italy, is credit-card sized,
but doesn't have a magnetic strip. I described it in detail in another
posting in the this thread.

I assume you live in Spain. Maybe in some transitional period, before
the introduction of the magnetic strip, the licenses may be of
different formats as long as they have the same information at each
numbered item.

The UK paper driving license is as described, these are
being replaced by credit card type licenses with a
photo but as the old licenses are valid until the holder
reaches 70 this may take a while

Keith

Old August 25th, 2004, 09:02 PM
B Vaughan

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:26:55 +0100, "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

If you have seen a EU driving license, its quite big. It's a sort of

3-page
pamphlet that folds to fit in a wallet.

I've never seen this type of license in Italy.

The plans are to reduce it to a credit-card size license with a magnetic
bar.

My license, which was issued in 1999 in Italy, is credit-card sized,
but doesn't have a magnetic strip. I described it in detail in another
posting in the this thread.

The UK paper driving license is as described, these are
being replaced by credit card type licenses with a
photo but as the old licenses are valid until the holder
reaches 70 this may take a while

Note that Xavier described an EU license as being a booklet. My
husband has an older model Italian license which is a booklet, but it
makes no pretence at being an EU model. In 1999 (I think) all licenses
issued in Italy were reduced to credit-card size, and have the
standard EU form but without the magnetic strip. I imagine the
magnetic strip will be a later development.

My license was one of the earlier batches, and it is a bit defective.
There was supposed to be a strip where you could put your signature,
but it doesn't have the flat finish that such strips should have, with
the result that the writing rubbed right off.
--------