china domestic flight

Old July 8th, 2005, 11:17 PM
supman

Default china domestic flight

Anyone know good site for booking domestic flight in china?

Old July 9th, 2005, 04:29 AM
Peter Neville-Hadley

supman wrote:

Anyone know good site for booking domestic flight in china?

It's best not to book domestic flights before arriving in the country as
the best prices are to be had by bargaining over the counter, preferably
at travel agencies, and preferably at ones outside the main hotels and
expat entertainment areas. This isn't hard work. It merely means asking
a price, then asking for a further discount. But the result can easily
be 50% or less than the price obtainable overseas, and is usually at
least 30% off.

If you can read Chinese, then www.ctrip.com or www.elong.com have prices
you'll be able to match or often beat when in China. But beware pages in
English which typically carry only full prices. Avoid, too, Hong
Kong-based agencies with websites, many of whom prey wickedly on the
gullible, with astronomical prices for both rail and air fares.

Peter N-H
http://members.shaw.ca/pnhpublic/China.html
Old July 24th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Tuomo Hotakainen

Peter Neville-Hadley wrote:

the best prices are to be had by bargaining over the counter

If you can read Chinese, then www.ctrip.com or www.elong.com have prices
you'll be able to match or often beat when in China. But beware pages in
English which typically carry only full prices. Avoid, too, Hong
Kong-based agencies with websites, many of whom prey wickedly on the
gullible, with astronomical prices for both rail and air fares.

Thanks for your information. My first trip to China will be
in the autumn and I've wondered whether I should travel by
bus or plane between Beijing and Shanghai. I do have time
and I have no problem spending it in trains but if a flight
costs about the same (like they do in Europe nowadays) I'll
probably choose it instead.

On another travel forum I read that Beijing-Shanghai train
in hard sleeper is about 40 euros. Do you know if it's also
possible to bargain over train tickets at the counter?

Tuomo
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:28 AM
Peter Neville-Hadley

Tuomo Hotakainen wrote:

Do you know if it's also
possible to bargain over train tickets at the counter?

It is not possible to bargain over ticket prices at the railway station.
If you are using an agent as an intermediary then it is possible to
bargain over the amount of the agent's commission, but that's it.