Our first visit to Australia: HK - Melbourne - Sydney - Canberra - HK (Feburary)

Old January 17th, 2005, 06:57 PM
AlmostBob

Otway National park, colac, Ballarat- saving time?? That road would break a
snakes back.

--
Ever wonder why evian Water
is $3 for a half litre,

spell Evian backwards
Yes, I notice there's a road going north from Otway NP to Colac to

Ballarat,
cutting some time.

Old January 18th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Peter

In article , Peter Webb
says...
Actually, it's freeway every inch of the distance now, or at least a
tollway to Liverpool and freeway after. Take the trip in the morning and
you can laugh at the commuters going the other way. I've done the trip
city centre to city centre in just over two and a half hours, but
admittedly that was early in the morning. Three hours is a reasonable
time so long as you aren't mixing it up with commuters.

297 kms / 2.5 hrs = average speed of 119 Kms per hour.

Naughty, naughty, naughty

286.92 km according to Whereis.com

http://tinyurl.com/62pqu

At 110km/hr that's 2 hours 36 minutes 31 seconds, which is just over two
and a half hours.

Actually, most of that road is probably good for 150 km/hr or more apart
from the twisty bits northbound past Goulburn and southbound on the
Federal Highway north of Lake George.

I certainly have no difficulty setting the cruise control at 120 km/hr.
The police don't jump out and give chase or send me rude letters at that
speed.

Pete
Old January 24th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Lyn

I'll second most of this ... but Tower Hill is west of Warrnambool, well, it
was last time we visited!
Warrnambool & the Great Ocean Road are great for whale-watching between
May-September. Last time we travelled along the Great Ocean Road we were
lucky enough to see a southern right whale frolicking near the Twelve
Apostles.

Definately leave the car at the hotel in Melbourne. You can walk around the
entire CBD & to the gardens, or catch a tram.

Would be better if you could spend a little longer at Phillip Island, but
the penguins are definately worth the visit. Remember to take a blanket/coat
& something to sit on. Wander around the boardwalks after the bus tourists
have departed to really see the penguins up close. The koala park on Phillip
Island is a good place to see koalas up close, probably easier than trying
to spot them at Tower Hill (or does that take the fun out of it?). Last time
we were there (in winter) there were only about 5 people in the park, and a
couple of koalas hanging out at eye height on the board walk.

I have also heard good reviews of the Corus Hotel in Sydney.

Very short trip - ideally looking at 14 days to tour Sydney, Blue Mountains,
Melbourne & coast.

If you ever return with a little more time consider continuing past
Warrnambool to Port Fairy, Nelson, Mount Gambier & Naracoorte. Not many
international tourists seem to get that far, or just pass through. The
limestone caves at Naracoorte are a World Heritage site, the Princess
Margaret Rose caves are lovely (cruise up the Glenelg river from Nelson),
and Mount Gambier's blue lake is an impressive volcanic crater where the
lake turns blue in summer. Admittedly, more than two days in & around Mount
Gambier can make visitors feel that they never want to see limestone ever
again, but it is a rather unique & under-rated part of Australia. Of course,
the road continues through to Beachport, Robe, Adelaide .....
The hardest part of planning a holiday is working out where to stop!

- 2c

Old January 24th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Geodyne

"Lyn" lynbrock @ optusnet.com.au (remove spaces) wrote in
:

I'll second most of this ... but Tower Hill is west of Warrnambool,
well, it was last time we visited!

You're right....so far as I know it hasn't got bored and moved yet!

Thanks for picking that up.

Geodyne