Bundaberg diving schools

Old October 21st, 2003, 03:06 PM
Aletta

Default Bundaberg diving schools

Hi All!

Has anyone ever taken a PADI course or the diving cruise offered by the
diving schools in Bundaberg (Queensland)?
They seem to be very cheap (the shore diving course being 169$AUD) and
there is a nice 5day cruise, where you can get the PADI course for
580$AUD all-inclusive (if I understood correctly).

Any personal experience? I plan to ake the diving course in Xmas
period...

Thx,

Aletta

Old October 21st, 2003, 07:56 PM
Jason

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:06:14 +0200, Aletta wrote:

Has anyone ever taken a PADI course or the diving cruise offered by the
diving schools in Bundaberg (Queensland)?
They seem to be very cheap (the shore diving course being 169$AUD) and
there is a nice 5day cruise, where you can get the PADI course for
580$AUD all-inclusive (if I understood correctly).

Any personal experience? I plan to ake the diving course in Xmas
period...

No personal experience, though I do know that Bundaberg has always been
one of the cheaper places to do a course. Most people go to Cairns because
it's better known. The reefs down there are certainly no worse than the
ones off Cairns, maybe better, though I don't know what the shore diving
is like. I doubt it's as good.

What you should ask is what's included in the price. In some countries,
though normally not Oz, they charge extra for the certification. The
implication is that the money goes to PADI, but the extra money is often
far more than PADI charge.

For that price, you certainly won't get a manual. You probably want one.
It might be a good idea to buy one before you start the course. Then you
can make yourself familiar with the material before hand. That will help a
lot. There's also a CD rom.

The other thing you'll want before you start the course is a mask that
fits you. There's nothing worse than a dive where you spend the whole time
clearing water out of it. Any decent dive shop should be able to help you
choose one that fits well.

Jason

--
http://www.scuba-addict.co.uk/ for Aussie diving reports including
the Coral Sea, Ningaloo reef, the Solitaries and Byron Bay

Old October 22nd, 2003, 10:15 AM
Aletta

Hi Jason!

Thanks a lot for the info.

For that price, you certainly won't get a manual. You probably want one.
It might be a good idea to buy one before you start the course. Then you
can make yourself familiar with the material before hand. That will help a
lot. There's also a CD rom.

Is there a specific title I should look for? I've seen they lend you the
manual for a deposit of 20$AUD which you get back on return of the book. I'd
like to have though, you are right...
BTW, what is this "log book" I've seen mentioned? Would I have to pay extra
for that?

The other thing you'll want before you start the course is a mask that
fits you. There's nothing worse than a dive where you spend the whole time
clearing water out of it. Any decent dive shop should be able to help you
choose one that fits well.

Maybe it'll sound stupid, but the diving mask are the same used for
snorkelling? I have a very good one that fits really nicely...

Old October 22nd, 2003, 02:08 PM
Jason

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:15:50 +0200, Aletta wrote:

Is there a specific title I should look for? I've seen they lend you the
manual for a deposit of 20$AUD which you get back on return of the book. I'd
like to have though, you are right...

You probably just want the Open Water manual. I think it comes with a set
of dive tables. PADI also do something called the Crewpak which includes
the manual, a logbook, another book and a case to keep it all in. It's not
cheap though. Have a look on www.padi.com to find a dive shop near you and
have a look at the options.

BTW, what is this "log book" I've seen mentioned? Would I have to pay extra
for that?

A log book is what you write the details of your dive in. It's not
compulsory but I like to do it to have a record of what happened. Some of
the more advanced courses require you to be able to prove how many dives
you've done.

I suspect you'll get a logbook as most places encourage divers to log
their dives. I doubt if it's a PADI one, but I've never been that keen on
their format and use another brand myself anyway.

Maybe it'll sound stupid, but the diving mask are the same used for
snorkelling? I have a very good one that fits really nicely...

It needs to have tempered glass in it to stand the pressure. It will have
the word "tempered" on one of the lenses. In practice all but toy masks for
small children should be suitable. I think European regulations prevent
masks being sold that would shatter under pressure.

Jason

--
http://www.scuba-addict.co.uk/ for Aussie diving reports including
the wrecks of the SS Yongala, Lady Bowen and the HMAS Swan

Old October 28th, 2003, 12:36 PM
Magnus 'Stene'

Hi,

Contact Salty's in Bundaberg and ask. www.saltys.net . We took half an
advanced course there in Xmas 99 (only half due to bad weather). At that
time (I think he's gone now) they had an idiot of a store manager there who
was just interested in money and nothing else. The rest of the staff were
really nice and friendly though.

At that time the course material was not included in the price. Shore dives
were but boat dives were extra, as well as trips to Lady Musgrave island. I
think you can pick what you want, just shore dives or a mix.

Good luck and be sure to take the course if you spend xmas in Bundaberg.
It's worth it.

Brgds

Magnus